Jan 24, 2012
South-Western PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75

Teknetics Omega 8000

Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is just a matter of personal choice and preference Skidder, coupled with over 30-years of experience with every machine you can imagine. A lot of guys won't go camping without an air mattress or Coleman stove. Some guys can't go shooting until they find their Oakley shooting glasses. If you feel you need a pinpointer - buy one. I have an opinion based on my experience and needs, not yours. Big Gold to you! :occasion14:
I think you may be comparing apples to oranges, sort of. For you, who by the sounds of it is a 'veteran detector', really has no need for one, as you have gotten into the pattern of not using one. It would be more of an inconvenience for you to reach for your pointer, turn it on, so on, so on. You know your machine well and can pinpoint to the nearly exact location.
As a new detectorist, a pinpointer is nice to have as a 'crutch'. You can walk around with a broken leg and no crutch, but it's going to take you longer to get around, and you'll probably give up on doing much. Same with a pointer, it helps the user out until they learn their machine fully. It took me about 2 years to learn how to pinpoint with my detector well, and I used my cheap Bounty Hunter pinpointer as a crutch the whole time until it clicked. I still use my pinpointer, but it wouldn't take much longer for me to find the target without one. Just my two cents worth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread