AT Pro Learning Curve?

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I'm new to metal detecting and this forum.

I decided to get the AT Pro as my first after some minor research, but I wish I had checked here first. I made the mistake of buying online from Cabela's instead of one of the sponsors here, as some dealers have some amazing package deals. Got it yesterday, but my other gear (pointer/Lesche etc) won't be here till tomorrow. That didn't stop me from taking it out for a spin in the yard on this fine 30 degree Michigan weekend. Told myself, I'll just scan and make a mental note of any signals over 80, and dig them out Monday. Wrong! Addiction kicked in and I just had to know what was lurking beneath the ground... A 1950's Tootsie Toy car, followed by a few pennies! Hooked...

I'll preface my question by saying that the past week I have been reading a lot and watching tons of videos on the AT Pro, so I felt very comfortable with the different settings and strategies.

What could cause a solid signal to disappear several minutes after discovery?

Scenario: STD mode, auto GB, 30 disc, sensitivity 5-7. Located solid 84 signal 6-8" deep, and got the lovely double dings within a 6" sweep. Rotate 90 degrees, still 84, PP dead on. Switched iron audio on, still a single 84 signal. Switched to PRO to listen for any low tones surrounding the high, but nothing, so I figure its likely a coin. Dug my hole about 8", but another scan over the plug and the hole reveals that it is still in the hole. PP'd again, same spot. Dig a few inches deeper and no signal over the hole, which means it must be in the pile of dirt! Nope, nothing. Not a single signal in a 5 foot radius from the initial hole. What? Powered off, nothing. Restore factory defaults, nothing. Auto GB, and every other possible adjustment I could make, nothing nothing nothing...

This was in the middle of my yard with no obstructions in the vicinity. The only metal item on me was my pants zipper, and my shovel was kept at least 5' away from the MD after every dig. It has me perplexed, and I would love to hear any words of wisdom from the seasoned vets out there.

Looking forward to more digs, and to share experiences with everyone... HH!

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmmm...my words of wisdom.....I am getting my AT Pro Adventure Pack in the mail tomorrow and will let you know then haha:). Tomorrow my day will be filled with online vids and planting some silver coins in the ground to learn how a few different coins feel at different depths.

As for your situation, sounds like a ghost signal, maybe something on the outside interfered i.e weird electrical currents or something.

Just by the sound of your post it sounds like you've done your research and are doing things the proper way. Just keep learning and testing yourself out. Great avatar pic btw, you look great as does the kiddo.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm...my words of wisdom.....I am getting my AT Pro Adventure Pack in the mail tomorrow and will let you know then haha:). Tomorrow my day will be filled with online vids and planting some silver coins in the ground to learn how a few different coins feel at different depths.

As for your situation, sounds like a ghost signal, maybe something on the outside interfered i.e weird electrical currents or something.

Just by the sound of your post it sounds like you've done your research and are doing things the proper way. Just keep learning and testing yourself out. Great avatar pic btw, you look great as does the kiddo.

As a Zelda fan, I had to smile at your name and signature. I named my son Lincoln so that his nickname could be Link!! Thanks for the input.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is chance that it was an iron type target that was halo'ed. When you dug and broke the halo, the discrim reinterpreted as iron and silenced the tone. Maybe swing again in pro zero with iron at zero or turn iron audio on. Not sure you tried that, need to re-read your post.

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I am about to tell you happened to me twice - I got a good solid signal and dug simular to what you described only to have signal disappear all together - One of them was a 1901 pendant and the other was a dime - come to find out in both cases they had stuck to my shovel and I when I came out of the hole I always stick my shovel in the ground - both items were knocked off my shovel when I stuck it in the ground. Always check your shovel and where your layed it when this happens - just sayin - HH

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I am about to tell you happened to me twice - I got a good solid signal and dug simular to what you described only to have signal disappear all together - One of them was a 1901 pendant and the other was a dime - come to find out in both cases they had stuck to my shovel and I when I came out of the hole I always stick my shovel in the ground - both items were knocked off my shovel when I stuck it in the ground. Always check your shovel and where your layed it when this happens - just sayin - HH

I had that thought and checked the shovel and surrounding area. It is possible that it was stuck and then flew off somewhere when I chucked my shovel to scan again. I'll expand my grid the next time I get outside after the new snow melts.... I was never envious of those in warmer climates until I got into MD during winter, go figure. At least spring is nearly here!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be iron halo that got broken when the plug was cut, but more likely something that came out of the hole and landed on edge. Sometimes an aggresive flip of the plug can send the target away from the hole.

Wayne

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can think of a few things that do that. One you had a bb sized target in the hole, and it was covered with your dirt tailings. You have metal toe rings on and you accidently detected your foot, this one happens a lot when my wife comes with me. I also have had dime sized targets get GB out by the machine as I was using the PinPoint function on my detector too much. What happens is the machine can GB out a good target by continuously pulling the pinpoint trigger. Sounds like you have a good start. Go back and get your targets now.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a Pro Pointer, that will eliminate a lot of un-necessary digging. I have seen small bits of foil ring high and read in the high 70's to low 80's

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a Pro Pointer, that will eliminate a lot of un-necessary digging. I have seen small bits of foil ring high and read in the high 70's to low 80's

I just received my pointer today! I can definitely see the benefit of having one, after playing the swap game with my detector and full sized shovel.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Stay out of std mode. If you know tectin, it only takes maybe twenty to fifty hours to learn this machine. One full season and you will feel good about it. Keep the sense low for a while, don't go over 3 bars until you have fifty coins. Gb well of course. I have had mine for 24 months now and I am still getting better with it as I crank it up more and gain more confidence in it.

Last edited:

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
My guess like others as said is that it was a small target such as a piece of foil or something. When I got my Ace I had similar instances, then I got my propointer and haven't had it happen again.

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the at pro as well, but I want to use it now with settings that would be the way a more experienced guy would. Nothing breaks you in faster then digging lots of holes! As you find something look at the display, listen to the sounds. It will eventually train you. It's like learning to speak a foreign language. After a while in that country you're just speaking it without realizing you learned it.

The effort to dig up pop tops and bottle caps forces you to pay close attention and that is what makes you learn faster.
I don't know how to explain this in writing very well but I'll give it a shot. When you get a score in the 80s and hear the ping of silver, center your coil over the target. Then draw it back towards you. If its silver it will ping silver all the way to the edge. If its a bottle cap it will switch to the mid tone as you get to the edge if the coil.

Plant some stuff 4" deep in your yard. More then a foot apart. Then learn the way your at pro sounds when you hover over them. Nothing beats this testing tool IMO.

4son8ur

Mar 18, 2013
Midwest City, OK.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Link was the first to recommend the AT Pro to me as a first detector. I have been doing research on it and watching the videos that Garrett provides for it. ive seen a lot of kits for it but most of the kits seem to be filled with junk. why don't they put in 1 or 2 battery pac's with a charger, a point detector, or waterproof head set you know stuff that will actualy be useful?? ive found more useful belts and cases. digging tools seem to be a matter of preference. this is just from what ive seen in the search for more info. are the items ive list for a kit to much to ask for or is it just me?

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
My thought in those "extras" is they're just filler junk from China to make it look like you got a deal. I would either trade all that junk for a propointer ($100), a quality digger ($50), or waterproof headphones ($80) any day. The problem is none of that stuff they usually include adds up to 50, 80 or 100 dollars.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/343115-pro-adventure-pack-review.html
Get the Adventure Pack, No junk bundle there one bit:).
Link was the first to recommend the AT Pro to me as a first detector. I have been doing research on it and watching the videos that Garrett provides for it. ive seen a lot of kits for it but most of the kits seem to be filled with junk. why don't they put in 1 or 2 battery pac's with a charger, a point detector, or waterproof head set you know stuff that will actualy be useful?? ive found more useful belts and cases. digging tools seem to be a matter of preference. this is just from what ive seen in the search for more info. are the items ive list for a kit to much to ask for or is it just me?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread