More Snow On The Way...Hunted Some Snow Hills Today While The Jerky-Cola Was Drying

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I left around noon today and headed out of Edmonton for some different busy snow hills. It was a perfect day......about one degree above freezing with a mild south wind and a perfectly clear blue sky. I managed a nice take on coins, which maybe paid for my gas. More snow on the way starting tomorrow evening. There is already a snowfall watch in effect.

I also tried my first attempt at a jerky marinate using a 20 ounce bottle of regular coca-cola, which I boiled down to a nice thick concentrate on the stove for a base marinade.
blind hogs.jpg

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tell us how it tastes.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
tell us how it tastes.

With a dash of FRANKS HOT SAUCE....it was great!.....

Here's the recipe....

Regular Cola (not diet) is very high in sugar content. Not the best health-wise, however, it makes a good sugar base marinade. Here is my first attempt at making some beef jerky with cola. My first batch was sweet and bland, so I added some Frank's Hot Bufalo sauce, which nicely brought out a nice unique flavor. I have wanted to this for some time...... and last nite was the time!
smile.gif

Coka-Jerky or Jerky Cola

-One pound sliced meat 1/8 - 1/4" thick
-One 591 ml/20 ounce Bottle Of Coca-Cola (not the sugar free stuff)

Boil the Coca-Cola in a pot, until there is about 4 ounces/120 ml left. This will be a thick syrup when it cools.

Pour about 2-3 ounces of this syrup with about one ounce of soya sauce into a cup. To this liquid, add the following:

Add 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder

Put the meat in a plastic mag, add the marinade, and manipulate the bag with your fingers several times to make a nice even marinate to the meat. Marinade overnight to 24 hrs, then transfer to a dehydrater. Once in dehydrater, coat both sides with Franks hot Sauce Buffalo Chicken Wing sauce. Good luck!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a keeper to me John, Thanks for sharing with us.
ZDD

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Provocative pics! Yumm. When using oven i go with a couple drops of liquid smoke. And just have to use a wee bit of sweet basil.
Sure like the cola reduction idea. Wondering about a ginger ale too. Thanks for sharing John.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I use to make it I used a vacuum seal container for marinating.....It really drew the juices in.......What type of meat and meat cuts are you using....Yours sure looks good...

Stanford

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2013
Las Cruces NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett...old one from years ago...I forget model...
puttin budet together for a new one...probably the AT pro or gold
Primary Interest:
Other
A few shakes of tobasco or a teaspoon ot cayenne and it would be perfect!
Yum!
Am gonna try it.
:-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread