Did anyone try one of these yet? a nel coil for the Garrett AT Gold.

LesLovesHunting

Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a large coil for the garrett at gold. looks pretty awesome with a video and everything. if i only spoke russian i could tell what kind of metal those coins are. Any information would be great. '
Thanks,
Les

Link to the website:

NEL Tornado AT Pro

You go first :)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
confused.gif
Ole EBay has two different ones listed. One is the Storm 13"x 14" and the other Tornado 12"x13"! Not to worry - they say (and I quote): Warranty on all coils 3 ears...
killingme.gif

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money there claims of great depth are bogus...i had the nel big 15x17 and they claim 70 % added depth ...bull crapola it was barely over an inch...nel can keep there junk never again...

OP
OP
L

LesLovesHunting

Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to keep my 5x8. But i also want something to compliment it. Something for deep caches or relics or untrashy areas. The 8x11 isn't big enough. I want more. I also seen nel is releasing a 15" dd coil called ATTACK. Reviews look promising clocking over 50 cm and waterproof.

OP
OP
L

LesLovesHunting

Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey dusty,
What metal detector? And what size and type of coil did you upgrade from?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I have had after market coils on both my Minelab and Garrett. The large coil on my Minelab did not give very much more depth then the stock coil. It was useless in light to moderate trashy areas, as it picked up everything, and isolating individual targets was an issue as was masking from other targets. The larger coils are not sensitive to tiny targets, and usually can not be operated with as a high sensitivity as a smaller coil. One of the after market coils for the Garrett GTI series quit working all together, unless I taped a penny to it. So....I sent it back to the manufacturer with a letter, only to get it back several weeks later with a "no such address" sticker on it. And that was in the USA. Sending it overseas would have cost a fortune, a much greater loss. A bigger coil will get only more depth to a point, then rendered useless. Bigger is not always better.

The largest and best coil for any metal detector is one designed by the engineer who designed the electronics for the detector in the first place. At least if the coil has issues, the manufacturer can repair the coil/detector combination to work at it's maximum potential. If you purchase an after market coil, and it does not perform very well, you will never know if it's the coil or the metal detector, and the builder of the after market coil will not have the technical knowledge base to make a decent diagnosis of the problem. You will not be able to send both machine and coil for an assessment. Even if you did, the cost to ship and insure a detector/coil over seas would not even be worth the cost of the after market coil in the first place. Garrett or any other home manufacturer will also not repair, assess or honor the warranty on a detector with the after market coil. You will be stuck in limbo should problems arise.

What to do.....Email, phone or write Garrett metal detectors and put in a suggestion to manufacture a larger coil. If one can be built, they would surely build the BEST and you would have a warranty for both the coil and detector, and they could be sent in at a reasonable rate for repair should there be a failure. Garrett Metal Detectors' Contact Information

images.jpg

OP
OP
L

LesLovesHunting

Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey john, trying to deter me on this forum too? Just joking! I put this question on many forums because i like to do tons of research before i make a decision. This discussion is also on findmall and my username is unluckylester. Thanks for any help.
Yours truly,
Les

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ace 350 i think they have a 9x12 dd coil stock...

OP
OP
L

LesLovesHunting

Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plug is not wrong. I just ordered the attack 15" nel. The plug is completely waterproof and just like garrett's plug.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Plug is not wrong. I just ordered the attack 15" nel. The plug is completely waterproof and just like garrett's plug.

You do not understand. I was responding to dustytrails' comment about the big ace350 coil.
What I mean is that ace350 coil plugs do not fit AT series tecters. If I could get a good big ten inch circular concentric for the atpro, I would be a happy camper.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread