At pro headphones ?

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rp3000...hard to say without hearing them for myself. I will say this...we are kinda stuck with the headphones that Garret gives us, unless someone can give us some other options. I don't have any complaints with mine yet. One thing I like about my Tesoro is that you can get whatever headphones you want...but it wont go 10' underwater. Come to think of it. I won't be going 10' under water any time soon. We need an adapter!

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
I don't have a problem with my headphones that came with my AT Pro but I would like opinions of those of you who have used more expensive ones how do they compare? Is it worth the extra money and an adapter?

pDogg

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Garrett makes an adapter so you can use other headphones (standard 1/4 inch jack). If not, check the websites of other suppliers (KellyCo, etc).

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask everyone the headphones that came with my AT Pro really sound bad. Is that the way they are or are mine defective?

I haven't noticed any problems with the stock AT Pro headphones. I operate in PRO mode, and of course weak signals have a tendency to sound crackly, as if a speaker was blown, but that's normal. Do your headphones ever sound OK? Bad is not a good descriptor, exactly what are you hearing and how often?

I've ordered the Garrett submersible headphones as I plan on spending lots of time in the lakes and rivers in my area, and it seems likely that those areas will be less combed over then the dry beaches, giving me a small advantage over the land lover detectors.. :D

pDogg

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't had any problems. Mine are still new and haven't been used much. You do have to adjust each ear (volume control) separately.

OP
OP
rp3000

rp3000

Greenie
Mar 16, 2013
I haven't noticed any problems with the stock AT Pro headphones. I operate in PRO mode, and of course weak signals have a tendency to sound crackly, as if a speaker was blown, but that's normal. Do your headphones ever sound OK? Bad is not a good descriptor, exactly what are you hearing and how often?

I've ordered the Garrett submersible headphones as I plan on spending lots of time in the lakes and rivers in my area, and it seems likely that those areas will be less combed over then the dry beaches, giving me a small advantage over the land lover detectors.. :D

Thank you all for your help they sound like they cut in and out and they do sound like the speakers are blown so maybe I have to get use to it.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I havent tryed them Yet Chug Just getting Used to All Teh New Sounds, Mine Tends To Like Small Silver !!!!! Reds Making a Post Right Now Chug

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
First, if you have a friend close by running a AT Pro - switch headsets, etc. to isolate the problem (you vs. AT Pro). The other option you have is the Garrett Adapter (you can find these on EBay, Amazon and most of our "Sponsor's" can get it...) so you can try other headphones...

Here ya go from Garrett
1/4" Headphone Adapter

Last edited:

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes they do, but you'll get HOSED if you try and go into water with ANYTHING OTHER than their Blue Fancy underwater ones. Haven't had any issues with my ATP headphones. The knobes are pretty crazy though, try to really tune them equally, i.e spinning same distance and what not.
I believe Garrett makes an adapter so you can use other headphones (standard 1/4 inch jack). If not, check the websites of other suppliers (KellyCo, etc).

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
I use the sun ray pro golds with the adaptor and there is a big difference in sound.i would never have spent that much on a set of headphones but I sold a gold ring I found and reinvested it in my hobby.i have to say I am glad I did because they definetly make a big difference over the stock garretts.

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the headphones with my at pro, I have no complaints. At first I didn't use them but they make a big difference hearing stuff over the noise in the area. Try unplugging them and re plugging then in. Possible that you don't have it fully or properly seated. I had mine not fully in the first time as they are a very tight fit. I believe there should be no threads showing... Attachment should be touching upper part. Check that to see if that maybe your problem... Esp if it seems like they work on and off like you said

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
sunray pro golds are high quality and comfortable. I love mine, worth every nickel. If I was on a tighter budget, I would get the atpro phone adapter (kinda expensive at around twenty five beans) and buy a mid range set of decent comfortable phones. This will be a world of improvement that you will notice. Make sure the phones you buy have volume control. Atpro stock phones get the job done but are so cheap, anything is better.

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
sunray pro golds are high quality and comfortable. I love mine, worth every nickel. If I was on a tighter budget, I would get the atpro phone adapter (kinda expensive at around twenty five beans) and buy a mid range set of decent comfortable phones. This will be a world of improvement that you will notice. Make sure the phones you buy have volume control. Atpro stock phones get the job done but are so cheap, anything is better.

Thanks gleaner1, that's the information I was looking for. I don't have a comfort problem with the Garrett's but I just wondered if I might be missing those faint targets as I have never used expensive headphones. When I had a V3i I had the maroon colored Whites phones and a pair of Treasure Wise on my F2. Thanks! Seems if you are not in the water the extra length the adapter gives you would be beneficial.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread