new coil

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An even smaller coil would work better. They don't call them sniper coils for nothing. When you sweep a stock coil over items an object you have disc out could mask a good target so you'd not dig it since it might only make a funny noise if it made any at all. Sniper coils won't do this as you can get less Masking effect. The only detectors that don't seem to have this masking effect are the Minelabs like the Etrac, Excal, Sov GT, etc. My Sov GT can sound off on a gold ring under a railroad spike with the stock coil.

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
Mine should be here on Thursday so I'll let you know. I also do reviews on my YT page so check it out on Thursday for my review.

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both.

The bigger coil has some advantages in target identification IMO. for example with a crown cap, if you get the cap in the center of the coil it will ring high like silver. but as you move the target to the edge it will not Ding a high pitch tone, it will drop in tone. Where a silver coin even a clad dime will stay with the high pitch all the way to the edge. Also the numbers will stay in the 80's all the time, crown caps jump around as you get to the edge of the coil.

With the smaller coil it seems to me that the numbers are much more jumpy and the tones less stable. I have tried with the sensitivity reduced but it's not quite as stable for me. The bigger coil will lock on nickels and show a 50-53 number pretty darn solid. The Smaller coil seems to jump from 40-65 on a nickel.

Pin Pointing is night and day better with the smaller coil, it will center above the target 100% for me. Because of this you can separate a bad target next to a good target very well.

I believe that switching between the coils frequently is the big problem for me with the different coils. They give somewhat different readings on the same targets, and react different to differentiate between targets. Once you commit to one coil or the other and learn the way it responds that is the best way to go. It will speak to you. Switching back and forth all the time, becomes confusing in the way it responds. I definitely like the bigger coil for nickels and distinguishing crown caps. But the smaller one is way better at targeting good from bad in a complicated area with lots of undesirable rubbish the ground.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I'm not sold on the 5X8 coil, as far as buying one for myself......The 8.5″ x 11″ Performance DD that comes with the AT Pro works fine me for relic hunting, from beachs to woods hunting..........

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the 5X8 coil worth the money? I'm running the stock DD coil and it works great. I understand the smaller coil will work better in trashy area's but does it work that much better? Where can I get one at a good price? Thanks and GOD BLESS.

I got my 5x8 a few days ago, and scanned my relatively small back yard, which had already been scanned by my stock coil. My yard is very trashy, and I found it MUCH easier to find good targets with the 5x8, and pulled out 3 times the coins compared to the stock. I was able to find them very quickly as well, but as I am only a few weeks into MD, this could also have something to do with my skills improving and understanding my AT Pro. Many dealers sell the coil, but be sure to shop around for the best deal. I think I paid $120 with fast'n'free shipping on eBay, and got it 2 days later!

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My understanding the 5x8 offers no greater depth penetration and provides slower step speeds, like most small coils do...identification is always found better using a small coil, the 5x8 simplifies to an untrained ear...Sorry folks I'm not sold on the 5x8 coil.....The 8.5″ x 11″ performance DD works fine.....

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes It is. Being new to the at pro I order one last week. Seems to have great depth and really a breeze to sweep.

OP
OP
Ky Red

Ky Red

Feb 27, 2013
I really appreciate all the great information. I just wanted to know before I bought one.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the 5 x 8 to the stock coil it really seperates well where there is a lot of junk.

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and 350,BH Tracker IV and now the Garrett AT Pro and White's VX3.
I simply cent I had to rely here. I have had the 5x8 for a few weeks and despised it for while. I was overwhelmed with the amount of noise etc. Now however, I love this thing. So much lighter than the stock.
In the advice of many from this board I have learned to not rely so greatly in the numbers displayed and listen to what the machine is telling me. I lovingly call it Garrettese. A one hour hunt at lunch today produced $2.91 in clad.

Sent from my Galaxy note 2 using TreasureNet

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, when either coil is properly ground balanced both of mine are very quiet when there is nothing underneath them. And I am NOT implying that anyone's machine is not properly ground balanced either; all soil is different that's all. But I get less chatter out of the 5 x 8 than I do the stock coil. I plan on doing a little swinging today and I will take both coils with me. My plan right now is to use the 5 x 8 but that might change depending on what I hear or don't hear. I want to hit the yard of the old homestead where I was born. My mother and her family owned the place for close to 125 years, not saying there will be anything hiding beneath the ground; they didn't have anything to hide. But who knows; it's worth a shot. And since I don't have my Pro Pointer back yet I don't want to waste a lot of time.

jsgarvin

Greenie
Jul 21, 2012
I thought I would miss a lot of targets with the smaller coil but it has caused me to slow down my search a bit which I think has helped tremendously. Plus its lighter and has less resistance while water hunting and easier to pinpoint in the water. That 5x8 coil is a must in my book.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my 5x8 only a short time but it does a much better job and contrary to what I have read i get louder signals at 6" and 8" deep than I did on my standard coil. I get the same numbers on the 5x8 and less trash. What I have learned and I have said it many times. The more you use something the better you get and more more you like it. I loved my Ace250 but love my ATPro more.

The only place I would ever consider buying any thing related to metal detecting is BigBoys hobbies. Bart will never steer you wrong and he not only has the best prices his shipping is fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread