My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is alloyed with many metals and they all give different VDI numbers even between two AT Pro's. White gold ladies rings can ring up in foil range and even high Iron like 38, and these are the ones with the rocks! Coin mode will only get you the larger rings and the silver ones as they are more conductive just like silver coins. It depends on how much fun you want to have or how much digging your willing to do in trashy area or the condition of the grass. In my neck of the woods you can get a huge fine for digging plugs.

gldnbrew

Feb 16, 2013
The 1000 Islands, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and ATMax, 8.5 x 11, 5 x 8 & a Super Sniper - Pro-pointer.
Fisher F75 LTD, XP Deus - 11", Garrett AT and AT ZLINK pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I do a lot of relic hunting so I use the zero mode, ground balanced. But, when I go to the beach or when I am out looking for coins and jewelry, I still use the zero mode and discriminate all the iron out (not anything iron, during that type of hunting, I want). When you use the coin mode it notches out some of the mid-tones and, yes you are going to miss some gold. Like Sandman said gold can show up at different VDI numbers. Best to dig anything that is not iron, one can not tell if the signal is a pull tab or a gold ring. Dig everything. Hope this helps.

Paul

OP
OP
K

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can differentiate crown caps and coins now with near 100% I don't have to dig them, but the foil and pull tabs I'm gonna dig. The ATPro DD coil with some operator practice is able to distinguish between the crown caps and coins.

Since they "ding" in the high 80's it's not gold anyway should I pass on one. The only silver ring I found so far had a VDI of a quarter and it was rock solid right to the edge of the coil. Not like a crown cap that starts grunting at the edges

chasu

Jul 9, 2007
South Georgia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT pro and XP Deus
I run pro zero with iron discrimination at 35. This is what Bart recommended when I bought the machine from him. This works well for me in the trashy school ground I am doing. I did find a small silver ring that read 72 vdi and a silver link bracelet that came in at 56 vdi. I hope this helps.
charlie

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always start out using Pro Zero all metals in the start than move it up....depends on the area and trash I find....I also pull all pull tabs......believing in the no pains no gains system......You can always hunt an area you hunted before and find some goodies....sweep half the coil length and take your time in coverage....Always remember it's the trill of the hunt that counts.......and enjoy.....

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold crap covers the gamut of mid range, and gets into the high range and low range too. Jewelry (cheap, expensive, big, or small) shows up anywhere from 40 to 99 on atpro or any decent vlf machine with ID numbers. Page 18 or so of the owner's manual shows a nice graph of this.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Works great if you play the numbers game...The only sure way is to dig........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread