KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was also posted in the general forum but i visit here much more. I wanted to share something that came up yesterday with my hunting partner ( my 11 yo Son " Nugget" )

For my living and with my academy education in South Africa, I'm a Professional hunter and I own a safari company. So either by osmosis or with some kind of subliminal drive in my head I find I often apply lessons to life from my background, to the things I do.

My son asked me how come I find more stuff and I always go to the same kinds of places when we go to a new location. So I said to him, Humans are no different then animals in how they inhabit various locations. They go places and do things much like the past humans that were there before them. Think about how people live and move and where they will be. Also what they will be doing in the places you expect them to be.

As an example, when I arrive in a park and see a huge play field My son heads right out there and starts with a logical grid, but usually ends up wandering aimlessly. Not me! I head for the restroom/Shower room. I'm gonna search the area where people walk frequently. Maybe the pockets were not proper in the pants when the man left the stall, maybe the jewelry was not worn, but held or rolled up in a towel when the woman walked back to the camp site after a shower. Many showers require quarters which are carried in hand to and from the shower.

Next, I usually find the oldest trees and search the area around the base. The oldest coins are here, no roto-tilling or plowing took place near these trees in the 50-100 plus years old they have been there. Lots of people are attracted to sitting under or laying in the grass under big trees. Beaches go without saying, but the best place is where the strip of grass meets the sand. Lots of people lay blankets there and watch the kids in the water without getting sand in everything. This 10-15 foot strip is an astonishing gold( silver and copper too) mine of coins and goodies. Any location with a shelf where people can sit on the grass with the sand below them. Like a natural bench of sorts. These spots draw people to sit there constantly. Around water fountains people bend over to drink water, paths that lead to and from beaches through the forested areas too.

Now, there has been some education on this as well, Permanent picnic tables and BBQ pits would seem like a great place too. In fairness they are, but are not my first choice, more as a back up or second visit. Problem with these locations is the amount of pull tabs and crown caps. These locations will usually having you digging for hours and a low return on investment of time. Pavilions are also difficult as the rain and maintenance folks sweep them off and the border area at the edge of the cement are filled with pop tops and crown caps, but......... the 10 foot perimeter can also be golden as well! Far enough away that the rubbish is not there, but with the traffic from people sitting and standing a lot that causes coins to work out of pockets and drop. Also the oily bug repellent causes slippery fingers and wrists slipping jewelry off of fingers.

Also the edges of the grass where the tar roads meet. Anything lost on the tar road will be swept or blown, moved off the roads and fall to the edge of the grass eventually. This is one of the most productive coin spots ever. There can be found along these roads easily and frequently, may times not even digging them, but on the surface hidden in grass. Parking areas with a boat launch have been very productive, pulling the truck keys, cell phone out of the pocket is frequently going to dislodge other items in the pockets and they end up on the ground.

So when I get to a new area, I scan the place as I'm walking in. Then evaluate the human activity potential, look at the logical pathways in the grass, prioritize the areas and start hunting. My son is catching on now too. Mostly by copying, but also with the thought of how people live and where would they lose money!

Oh one other thought, I carry a pair of little pruning shears. When digging near the older locations, there are often roots and fibers in the hole. I just trim them out which makes the digging effortless. Prior to packing them around in my pocket, I gave up on decent signals because the roots were just impossible to get through. Now in 15 seconds I have a perfectly trimmed hole to dig into.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post! I noticed that any place the foot traffic bottlenecks is a hot spot too. These are more common around concession stand, soccor, and baseball fields. The possibilities are really endless.
HH Jay

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tips !!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do best on a small hill or incline. But the old trees do produce too. I love the tot lots full of wood chips, most stuff out of there is clean already.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the pruning sheers tip, will add them to my bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions