Surface Elimination

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My newest detector the GTI 2500 arrived today . Question for those of you that have this machine . Does the surface elimination feature really work ? I buried a quarter at 4 1/2 " . The detector picked it up with a strong signal . I then put a pull tab on the surface about 2 1/2 " off target center and a penny about 3 " from the pull tab . I set the elimination feature at 2 1/2 " . At that point I could no longer get any signal on the quarter just broken one way broken up beeps . Even raising the coil did not help pick up the quarter. Does this feature really work with your 2500? Thank you for any replies ..​

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh it works but lots of coins never get buried and you eliminate those. Surface trash can be raked way and detected in a normal way. If your site has lots of iron nails you should use a detector that can handle them. Golfers change clubs for different holes and we should too. However this is impractical.

OP
OP
herb n surf

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Oh it works but lots of coins never get buried and you eliminate those. Surface trash can be raked way and detected in a normal way. If your site has lots of iron nails you should use a detector that can handle them. Golfers change clubs for different holes and we should too. However this is impractical.
Thank you Sandman . Wishing you well ...Herb

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My newest detector the GTI 2500 arrived today . Question for those of you that have this machine . Does the surface elimination feature really work ? I buried a quarter at 4 1/2 " . The detector picked it up with a strong signal . I then put a pull tab on the surface about 2 1/2 " off target center and a penny about 3 " from the pull tab . I set the elimination feature at 2 1/2 " . At that point I could no longer get any signal on the quarter just broken one way broken up beeps . Even raising the coil did not help pick up the quarter. Does this feature really work with your 2500? Thank you for any replies ..​

I had 2 GTI 2500s at different points in time

the surface elimination works but only to a degree

if the ground is littered with trash from surface on down to like 2 or 3 inches deep - it will have a hard time picking up on any targets at any depth

if the ground is not littered with trash but say you're at an old site and want to dig only deeper targets - this is where it pays to use the feature

it will reject the shallow targets while allowing the deeper ones to shine thru

it's basically so that you don't dig shallow targets and to cut down on the # of digs per site while focusing on deeper targets only but it's not a feature to allow you to eliminate the top 2 inches of a completely trash filled site while cherry picking everything deeper - the GTI's are not top notch "separation" machines

a DeepTech Vista Gold or XP Deus and even the AT Pro are far better for that type of environment/scenario

OP
OP
herb n surf

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I had 2 GTI 2500s at different points in time

the surface elimination works but only to a degree

if the ground is littered with trash from surface on down to like 2 or 3 inches deep - it will have a hard time picking up on any targets at any depth

if the ground is not littered with trash but say you're at an old site and want to dig only deeper targets - this is where it pays to use the feature

it will reject the shallow targets while allowing the deeper ones to shine thru

it's basically so that you don't dig shallow targets and to cut down on the # of digs per site while focusing on deeper targets only but it's not a feature to allow you to eliminate the top 2 inches of a completely trash filled site while cherry picking everything deeper - the GTI's are not top notch "separation" machines

a DeepTech Vista Gold or XP Deus and even the AT Pro are far better for that type of environment/scenario
Thank you Lonewolf . I haven't really found a need to use that feature up to now . I appreciate those that have , and shared that information with me . Had the Garrett Master Hunter CX lll for years and the two detectors seem very similar except for the the imaging feature. (which I like) ..I see where some people seem to have a hard time using the 2500 complaining about a lot of chatter and poor discrimination . Having had the CX lll made this detector feel like I've had it for years . No falsing , great discrimination , and hitting hard on good targets . All it needs is a little tweaking here and there depending where you are hunting that day. That chatter that the GTI 2500 and F - 75 have can be controlled (adjusted) and is a sign of the sensitivity of these two machines . It's not a bad thing to get away from factory settings and learn to adjust sensitivity and ground balance . I know not everyone wants to have to tweak a machine and get tired of hearing about a machines sensitivity and yes there are other machines that are better suited for those persons ..Take care Lonewolfe and have a great day...

Last edited:

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Lonewolf . I haven't really found a need to use that feature up to now . I appreciate those that have , and shared that information with me . Had the Garrett Master Hunter CX lll for years and the two detectors seem very similar except for the the imaging feature.

Hey Herb

I too used the CXIII for many years before the GTI 2500

I LOVED the CXIII - I found a LOT of good stuff with that machine!

One of the features on the cxIII that the 2500 doesn't have and I wish it did is the VCO pinpoint

I could never get past that issue with the 2500

the cxIII was so precise that you could pinpoint EXACTLY where a coin/target was and didn't need more than a probe to pop the coin/etc. out without harming the ground at all unless it was deep and then you had to use a trowel

I also liked how you could use the 5x10 elliptical coils on the cxIII which lightened the load a bit and helped in pinpointing and also target separation

I have been looking for another CXIII for the last 6 months with the Bloodhound attachment but with no luck so far -

I do know where to buy the machine (a consignment shop here in MI has one) but not with the 2 box coil system AND they want $450 for it which is a bit much if you ask me and considering when I sold mine like 12 yrs ago - I sold it for that price at THAT time!

OP
OP
herb n surf

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Herb

I too used the CXIII for many years before the GTI 2500

I LOVED the CXIII - I found a LOT of good stuff with that machine!

One of the features on the cxIII that the 2500 doesn't have and I wish it did is the VCO pinpoint

I could never get past that issue with the 2500

the cxIII was so precise that you could pinpoint EXACTLY where a coin/target was and didn't need more than a probe to pop the coin/etc. out without harming the ground at all unless it was deep and then you had to use a trowel

I also liked how you could use the 5x10 elliptical coils on the cxIII which lightened the load a bit and helped in pinpointing and also target separation

I have been looking for another CXIII for the last 6 months with the Bloodhound attachment but with no luck so far -

I do know where to buy the machine (a consignment shop here in MI has one) but not with the 2 box coil system AND they want $450 for it which is a bit much if you ask me and considering when I sold mine like 12 yrs ago - I sold it for that price at THAT time!
I'll keep my eyes open for one and if I hear of any I'll drop you a PM.. Take care --Herb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread