The truth about the AT Pro

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro is a great machine (I own one as well as several other machines)

been detecting since 1977

have owned several Garretts, Fishers, Whites, Minelabs, and a Tesoro or 2

I wouldn't trade my AT Pro for any machine out there.

Once you learn its language and its functions - it's an unstoppable machine (especially in iron).

I've owned/used an ex-cal 1000 - a cz20 for 16 yrs - a whites surfmaster II and surfmaster PI for water hunting and the only machine other than the AT Pro that I'd buy for water hunting again "maybe" is a cz20/21 but they are costly compared to the AT Pro and they're locked in salt mode - so - for fresh water hunting - you're better off with the AT Pro anyway.

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will tell you for the money the At pro is awesome. I personally wouldn't trade mine for any detector period, in 3 months ownership Ive found 7 rings 3 of them were Gold and a Gold bracelet and a boat load of clad. Something i haven't been able to do with Whites Minelabs or any other brand Ive owned. You Cant go wrong with the At Pro. In parks its a monster. At the beach on dry sand its good but on wet its a bit chattery. Even so it still performes pretty well on the beach.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an AT Pro, had used a white and the AT Pro really doesn't dig junk if you learn the sounds. I dug a bunch of holes this past weekend and everyone of them was a coin. The one questionable one I had was what I thought it was and that was a pull tab but I dug it just to prove to myself it was junk. And once you learn the machine using Pro mode and switch on the sound when the target is questionable you'll know to dig or not to dig, that won't be the question. For me, it's a great machine. And I don't think it is cheaply made for the price.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me it's pretty simple. The ATP is a decent machine for the money. It's more about learning your machine than comparing it to another. I have seen it both ways where one machine out performs another but you take the two users and switch machines and you get different results. MD's are like buying a car. They all have the same basics and it boils down to the options you purchase. It's pretty simple every manufacturer has their competitors machines to compare against and they build their models to meet the price point they want. If you pay $250 or $900 you get what you pay for but you will find more for $900.

OP
OP
rikdafish

rikdafish

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2013
I've been using my whites classic for many years, and I am still learning new things every time I use it. I agree with you, I didn't pay more than $350 for it, I got it used. But I know the machine and I have have found more stuff than some off my friends with more expensive mds because they never took the time to learn their detector. .

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know it speaks to the quality of the ATP that they are always being compared to the E-Track, a maching that costs 3 times as much. Does the Etrack go 3 times as deep? Does it find 3 times as many good finds?
You know I don't see that many comparisons between the E track and Whites, or BH or even the XP Deus, I guess the ML owners are trying to justify their purchases.
I have found pleanty of silver in the middle of junk piles so that's fine by me. As for Garrett building it cheap, I am very hard on my machine. I have beaten it off rocks, slashed through tall grass bouncing it off stumps and brush, I hardly ever wash it and it rides in the back of my van with my shovels, privy probes, axe and a multitude of other equipment and diving gear all the time and I have yet to have an issue. Judge for yourself.
ZDD

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know it speaks to the quality of the ATP that they are always being compared to the E-Track, a maching that costs 3 times as much. Does the Etrack go 3 times as deep? Does it find 3 times as many good finds?
ZDD
Its being compared id guess because its a popular machine that gets more credit then it should...now if you watch the video i posted you will see how the at pro doesnt stack up but if you dont watch it then just keep talking like you have....they dont go 3 times as deep but it does have something garretts lack ...its called discrimination

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its being compared id guess because its a popular machine that gets more credit then it should...now if you watch the video i posted you will see how the at pro doesnt stack up but if you dont watch it then just keep talking like you have....they dont go 3 times as deep but it does have something garretts lack ...its called discrimination

Last night I dug a 1903 silver dime that was in a burn pit that was mixed in with hundreds of rolled up Brylcream tubes scattered around a 10ft square area and I knew I had silver when I heard it. Last year, same burn pit I pulled out 3 silver dimes and a nickle, I would call that fairly good discrimination. At least good enouph for me and my $500 detector.
ZDD

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea, I saw that video befor and I have a few comments. First the guy should get a Garrett Pro Pointer so he wouldn't have to use his digger to tap around the dirt to find his target. If it's a repeatable target you may want to think about digging it, and yes it might be trash but you wont know 100% until you do dig it. Like Sandman is always saying, don't look at the numbers.
And Dusty, you should know why he couldn't pin point his last target (I do) and you should know what to do to fix the issue, like turning 90 degress so you come at it from a different angle.
Maybe the guy who shot this video should spend more time with his detectors and spend less money on them.:thumbsup:

ZDD

Eric Wilson

Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me, I'd see if I couldn't find a local dealer to do business with. They can demo both machines for you and might let you do a beach test run. I'm a minelab guy myself but if it works I don't knock it.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You're kidding right? I can keep up just fine when hunting with someone with an e-trac, both in sand and fields/cellar holes. At best, the e-trac got another inch or two on me in certain ground conditions. If I am going to spend double the price, I would expect more than that.

Discrimination is no problem either... why on earth would you say that? It is actually very accurate with that and can pick out a keeper next to iron junk pretty well.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like digging bottle caps thats your excitement ...myself i cant stand garretts telling me theres a coin in the ground just to dig another bottle cap...and yeh blah blah blah i can tell them with my at pro they give iron roll back ...just saying that makes you sound less intelligent just because you get a iron tone mixed in with a good high tone doesnt meen ohhh thats a bottle cap i wont dig it....i have dug plenty of silver dimes with nails with them or iron in the same hole....so just keep passing on those tones and please hunt where i do

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like digging bottle caps thats your excitement ...myself i cant stand garretts telling me theres a coin in the ground just to dig another bottle cap...and yeh blah blah blah i can tell them with my at pro they give iron roll back ...just saying that makes you sound less intelligent just because you get a iron tone mixed in with a good high tone doesnt meen ohhh thats a bottle cap i wont dig it....i have dug plenty of silver dimes with nails with them or iron in the same hole....so just keep passing on those tones and please hunt where i do
A crappy machanic buys the best tools on the planet but he is still a crappy machanic. Don't blame your tools!!!
I see your a little squimish about telling people what type of machine you are out thrashing around with,,,, why am I thinking you are using a $45 Radio shack unit. Is that it Bubbles is that what you are finding all your fantastic finds with that you are posting.
Listen, I don't think anyone here has said the AT Pro is the best detector money can buy, if you would clean those glasses of yours you would see most people are saying it is a great detector FOR THE MONEY!
Happy trails there Dusty

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A crappy machanic buys the best tools on the planet but he is still a crappy machanic. Don't blame your tools!!!
I see your a little squimish about telling people what type of machine you are out thrashing around with,,,, why am I thinking you are using a $45 Radio shack unit. Is that it Bubbles is that what you are finding all your fantastic finds with that you are posting.
Listen, I don't think anyone here has said the AT Pro is the best detector money can buy, if you would clean those glasses of yours you would see most people are saying it is a great detector FOR THE MONEY!
Happy trails there Dusty
I have said in many posts that i hunt with an ace 350 its a garrett if you didnt know...and yes i do have afew finds prolly better then most veteran hunters can say they have done in a day i pulled 13 silver out of a park afew weeks after i got my machine....does that meen garrett is the best because i can find silver with it?....no it doesnt it just meens i dig like a damn golpher because 99% of what i dig is junk so to come out with 13 silver in a day you have to dig your you know what off....and if it wasnt for garretts loving the bottle caps we wouldnt be having this conversation ...but the truth is they do like bottle caps and nothing you can say will change that fact

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have said in many posts that i hunt with an ace 350 its a garrett if you didnt know...and yes i do have afew finds prolly better then most veteran hunters can say they have done in a day i pulled 13 silver out of a park afew weeks after i got my machine....does that meen garrett is the best because i can find silver with it?....no it doesnt it just meens i dig like a damn golpher because 99% of what i dig is junk so to come out with 13 silver in a day you have to dig your you know what off....and if it wasnt for garretts loving the bottle caps we wouldnt be having this conversation ...but the truth is they do like bottle caps and nothing you can say will change that fact
:icon_scratch:Maybe you should up grade to an AT Pro.:laughing7:

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dusty,
I'm confused. You have a 350 and you comment on the AT-Pro and it not being able to show you the difference between a coin and a bottle cap. How would you know? Just because the 350 makes a "ding" noise when its coil passes over a non ferrous object doesn't mean an AT-Pro will make the same noise when you do the same with it when you change it from standard mode to pro mode.

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont be ignorant and lie to me about the at pro not hitting on bottle caps ...i hunt with a friend that uses the at pro and his sings like a blue bird when he gets over a bottle cap....and i bought my first last and only garrett ...besides there pro pointer they make nothing i want...even there finds bag is falling apart after acouple months

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont be ignorant and lie to me about the at pro not hitting on bottle caps ...i hunt with a friend that uses the at pro and his sings like a blue bird when he gets over a bottle cap....and i bought my first last and only garrett ...besides there pro pointer they make nothing i want...even there finds bag is falling apart after acouple months

Of course they hit on bottle caps. Every detector does. However, with the AT Pro, you know its a bottle cap. Whether you dig or not is your choice. The AT Pro smashes on ANYTHING else in its price range. Period.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course they hit on bottle caps. Every detector does. However, with the AT Pro, you know its a bottle cap. Whether you dig or not is your choice. The AT Pro smashes on ANYTHING else in its price range. Period.
No not every detector hits on bottle caps...i dont know all machines that dont other then the 1's i have seen first hand ...minelab se pro and even some of the bounty hunter detectors scan over them without sounding off ...they have discrimination

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread