The truth about the AT Pro

rikdafish

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2013
So I've been using a whites classic sl for many years and love it. Except at the beach in wet sand. I live in Massachusetts. I was considering a n at pro. I bought a prism 6 t. Hated it. Sold it. I've read a lot of good things about the at pro, but I am concerned about the people that say it cheaply made. Is this true? I don't want to purchase a machine on line or from Kellyco and find out its a piece of ****. Who do I believe? Help

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a couple detectors this year, and am living on the beach in Mass, so I had the same concerns as you.

I bought the AT because of its weather proof qualities and because it was said to work in saltwater for some. Its a great drysand and land machine for sure. We have white sand here in general, but at the swimming beaches I hit a lot of iron bearing stones, so between the saltwater, wet sand and those stones, I've had to leave my discrimination pretty high in the wet conditions. To use in the water, I decided to buy a used cz20 as backup detector, and it is quiet as a church mouse in the saltwater... Just chiming on targets.

I'm new to both machines, and maybe the AT could be tuned better for the salt, but I've followed the online tutorials for ground balancing and discrimination.

Hope that helps and happy hunting!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best machine for the beach is the Minelab Excalibur II, if that isn't in your budget, the AT Pro will work. You have to ground balance, and wet salt normally ground balances between 0-20. If you get a lot of "chatter" in the water, turn your sensitivity down a little. It will still hit hard on coins and jewelry through the chatter.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro , Bounty Hunter IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really enjoy my at pro. I can't really comment on the saltwater since I haven't tried it there yet. The quality, weight, waterproofing and depth seems good. What sold me is how well it works around iron. You may want to call other dealer/members of this site to get better pricing.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps are iron and they dig plenty with the at pro

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps are iron and they dig plenty with the at pro

WRONG!..Not if ya know how to use it properly.

Look at 9:54 min into the video.
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_instr3_video.aspx

Watch this video for how to use it in salt water.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_instr4_video.aspx

I have used mine on the salt water beaches of New Jersey with no problems.

As the saying goes: "One must be smarter than the equipment they are using!" ;)

OP
OP
rikdafish

rikdafish

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I still want to know about the claims that the machine is cheaply put together.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
ATPro is decent quality, and decent performance, and decent price and three tones is just right. You always hear about the few bad ones, but nobody hears about the many thousands of good ones. I use mine in the trash with excellent results. I will now and again post a trash throwdown from the park where I dig fifty plus crowns, but I knew that each and every one was a crown and I wanted to get them outa there.

Last edited:

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback. I still want to know about the claims that the machine is cheaply put together.

I do not feel that the AT Pro is cheaply put together. Mine is very solid while swinging, and I certainly haven't been gentle when putting it down to dig, and everything is still where it should be. Get yourself a 5x8 for trashy areas and you will be pulling out good targets left and right. I had never owned a MD before the ATP, and a month later I am able to find coins 95% of the time that I anticipate them, often times right next to junk.

I received my E-Trac today, and yes, the build quality definitely seems better than my ATP, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Comparing a etrac that cost double the price of a at pro speaks volumes about the at pro.

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the money you want find a better detector. And the 5x8 is a killer.

OP
OP
rikdafish

rikdafish

Tenderfoot
Mar 18, 2013
Thanks again for the replies to my question. I'm not a beginner to metal detecting, I've been at it for about thirty years. I am new to this forum. I have always used Whites and I only learned about the ATP from watching Diggers. I know they're corny and that no one actually talks like that, but its fun to watch when there's two feet of snow on the ground. I want to get my first Garrett ATP as soon as I can, so I appropriate any info I can get. Thanks again.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're a Whites fan then you are used to a metal box under your arm. The Garrett is a plastic box. Which may in your opinion seem cheaper. On the positive side, that plastic control box also makes it more than a pound lighter than a Whites MXT pro! Swinging an extra pound around can cause more fatigue and end your hunts sooner.
I love my AT-pro but I can tell you that like most other electronic products, it must be handled like an electronic device and not like a garden tool. You can't just throw it in the back of your pickup.
I once leaned mine against a fence post. Somehow it fell over. As my luck would have it, the control box landed on a large rock. When it hit it broke the control box off the shaft. When I got home I called Garrett explained to them what happened and they told me to send it in. They repaired it and sent it back for free. I think their machines are great and their customer service is excellent. After that incident I bought a cover for the control box. I padded it with some material that they make mouse pads out of that I purchased from a craft store. Since the cover, I have had no worries of drops and falls.
To me it is just like having to buy a rugged case for your smart phone.

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comparing a etrac that cost double the price of a at pro speaks volumes about the at pro.
Im guessing you didnt watch the video because the at pro doesnt compare at all...lol

smugglersbluez

Jan 10, 2013
central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your right its on the internet and they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread