Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
Watch some of my videos on pinpointing. Coins seem to have a distinct signal when pping that most trash (foil, pull tabs, etc) do not.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't discriminate the nickels out! They do ring up hard on the 250 if there is actually a nickel in the ground. But more importantly, you will be missing gold!

OP
OP
DangerDude

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I would be passing up the gold. I just read a article on hunting parks and gonna run in jewelry mode. Still learning the 250 but that's what makes this hobby great, your always learning.

jethroWB

Greenie
Jan 1, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
When using my 250, i find that coins have a very sharp "drop off" when pping, where most trash (like crushed cans) have a very long, large pin point area. Hope this helps.
HH.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with jethro, when pin pointing, if you still get a high to mid reading 4+ inches away it's most likely a larger junk target. Although this not aways the case.

OP
OP
DangerDude

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I notice that with the pinpointer too. I always think of what I could be missing if I don't dig some of those good hits. I learned quick with the beer cans, they were the first 2 hits I dug when I used the 250. I almost didn't dig a can type sound and it ended up being 3 coins stacked on top of each other..they were all clad though. Do you guys ever get a deep hit and it sounds good but once u dig it the the hit will change to a iron type sound?

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those good deep tones that change to iron when you are digging is due to the halo effect. Once you break up that halo, the detector can "see" what it really is. Happens to everyone at some point. Lol.

OP
OP
DangerDude

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those good deep tones that change to iron when you are digging is due to the halo effect. Once you break up that halo, the detector can "see" what it really is. Happens to everyone at some point. Lol.

Thanks. Seems to happen in the spring with my BH too. I dug 2 hits that were coming up as $1. I was thinking oh yeah this is sweet...than nothing but iron.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread