AT Pro GITMO

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had the ATP for just under a month, and only used it about 15-20 hours. Decided to add an E-Trac to my arsenal, with the ATP filling in on iffy weather days or river/beach usage. Man that E-Train is a heavy beast. Took it to an old park, and was lucky to find $1.00 in clad after 4 hours. I must be struggling with understanding how it works. Next day, same park, took the ATP with 5x8 and once again cleaned up with clad all over the place, including my first Jackson dollar coin. God I love my ATP...

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great machine man can it locate silver lol

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-trac is a lot better detector once you learn it, but again there is the weight. A harness helps to take the weight off the arm. AT Pro's aren't as unstable as they once were or are just dumbed down.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-trac is a lot better detector once you learn it, but again there is the weight. A harness helps to take the weight off the arm. AT Pro's aren't as unstable as they once were or are just dumbed down.

I've read Andy's book, watched plenty of YT videos, I just can't get any kind of consistency with it. I've tried many different patterns and modes, including TTF. It is so frustrating because I know it can be a great coin killer. I'm not going to give up! My main issue is that the coins I do find with it are nowhere near the suggested 11-13, 40's range, which makes scanning WAY slower as I have to try and figure out if I should dig. I can pound out coins in a hurry on my ATP, 50-55, 70+ dig dig score...

Any clubs or groups near Coldwater MI? I need a support group lol.

Last edited:

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read Andy's book, watched plenty of YT videos, I just can't get any kind of consistency with it. I've tried many different patterns and modes, including TTF. It is so frustrating because I know it can be a great coin killer. I'm not going to give up! My main issue is that the coins I do find with it are nowhere near the suggested 11-13, 40's range, which makes scanning WAY slower as I have to try and figure out if I should dig. I can pound out coins in a hurry on my ATP, 50-55, 70+ dig dig score...

Any clubs or groups near Coldwater MI? I need a support group lol.

E-trac is a hard detector to learn/master

it's also heavy (as you've found out 1st hand) and that means it's in no way a good competition type hunting machine like the AT Pro
(or in other words) - you can pound out a site in no time with the ATP and find tons of coins/etc. but with the ML you have to work slower
and rest now & then or else your arm will fall off!

The E-trac IS a silver coin KILLER though - if you're on a site that has deep silver - the E-trac will hit it IF you put the coil over it!

Once learned - the E-trac is a good machine - it's build/construction is better too - Australians are some tough people - I can hear them now
"that's not a metal detector - THIS is a metal detector!"

The ATP has its use/s too though - it's a great machine - especially for iron infested sites and picking coins out among the iron PLUS
you can submerge it too :-)

HH :skullflag:

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-trac is a hard detector to learn/master

it's also heavy (as you've found out 1st hand) and that means it's in no way a good competition type hunting machine like the AT Pro
(or in other words) - you can pound out a site in no time with the ATP and find tons of coins/etc. but with the ML you have to work slower
and rest now & then or else your arm will fall off!

The E-trac IS a silver coin KILLER though - if you're on a site that has deep silver - the E-trac will hit it IF you put the coil over it!

Once learned - the E-trac is a good machine - it's build/construction is better too - Australians are some tough people - I can hear them now
"that's not a metal detector - THIS is a metal detector!"

The ATP has its use/s too though - it's a great machine - especially for iron infested sites and picking coins out among the iron PLUS
you can submerge it too :-)

HH :skullflag:

Thanks for the advice, and the Hogan reference! I took the E-Trac out again today, and decided I wouldn't stress about what I find. I just listened to the sounds and tried to identify consistency, and had much more success. My first recovery was a buffalo nickel, which took me by surprise and set the tone for a good day. I was able to distinguish coins from junk easier, and then on my final dig, out popped a dime that I thought was very new, as it looked really clean, about 8in down. I was shocked to rub the dirt and see a 1916 barber dime, my first silver! Any doubts I had about learning the machine melted away. I look forward to getting more acquainted with it.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take the at pro there get the crap out of the way then go over with the Etrac and find the good stuff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread