one last try for the 5x8 DD on the atp.

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and 350,BH Tracker IV and now the Garrett AT Pro and White's VX3.
Went out again. 2 hours, nothing but foil and bottle caps. Son and daughter with BH Juniors kicked my butt.

My daughter followed immediately behind me and pulled coin after coin and a 925 silver earring!

My son basically did the same thing except no jewelry.

This coil had one more outing. Then it's going to swim in the river lol

I'll let you know when I get out again and the end result.

Just needed to vent :)

Sent from my Galaxy note 2 using TreasureNet

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I'm getting real good with my atpro and it has paid for itself about three times over. I'd love to have a 5x8 DD for it.
If you are just finding foil and crown bottle caps, you haven't learned the machine yet. Bottle caps...use the iron descrim botton but even more important is the tone the machine gives off. If the tone is pure, no abrupt change at the end, it's a good signal and dig it. Again, practice with a bottle cap and a quarter out in your yard. Use the iron descrim botton over both and you'll see the HUGE difference. Foil comes in like 40's. Gold is almost always iin the 50's. In the 50's, if the tone is killer and the numbers don't jump around a lot when swinging over and over, dig it. If the numbers jump up and down a lot, it a pull tab...use your own judgement. I'd rather dig a handful of pulltabs along with a gold ring then not dig any pulltabs.
Silver screams out with the at pro. Take that same ring she found and set it down on the ground. Put a new dime down as well and test. The silver will have a higher purer tone then the copper. The copper tone will be a great signal, just not as good as the silver.
Good luck to you and I hope you get to know the machine better! If the 5x8 is going to take a swim, maybe offer it up for sale instead?

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out again. 2 hours, nothing but foil and bottle caps. Son and daughter with BH Juniors kicked my butt.

My daughter followed immediately behind me and pulled coin after coin and a 925 silver earring!

My son basically did the same thing except no jewelry.

This coil had one more outing. Then it's going to swim in the river lol

I'll let you know when I get out again and the end result.

Just needed to vent :)

I'm pretty new at this but once I learned to use the iron audio and turn down the sensitivity a notch or two I'm killing coins left and right. Using mostly Pro coins mode, eliminate first couple of 50's and you should be able to get past the pull tabs and rust etc. HH

OP
OP
A

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
I honestly dug everything yesterday just to get a feel for this coil. The pull tabs I called on every dig. Always 60-63. Bottle caps varied from 70s to one at freaking 97!
I ran mostly in pro coins yesterday with sensitivity at below Max.

Frustration doesn't begin to describe how I feel at this point lol

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the 5x8 and stock coil.

I can use the stock coil with far better understanding of the tones then the little coil. I think once you choose a coil you need to stay with it. If you swap back and forth to much it's difficult to decipher the tones and reaction to targets between them.

I used the 5X8 for a few days, but never was able to understand the feedback as well as the bigger coil. As stated above, when you get a solid tone to the edge of the big coil it's silver. If that tone is inconsistent it's something else, usually a bottle cap. With the small coil I don't get that consistent feedback as I do with the bigger coil.

The edge of the coil is too close to center. My 5X8 is still like new after that weekend I never put it back on. I would probably sell it after having used both now. I'm sure there is a perfect use for that smaller coil, just not anything I have found it to be way better at over all.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both coils as well and agree to pick a coil and stay with it for a min of say 10 hours plus. I've had my 5x8 on for about a month. First tip: you have to swing slower than with the stock coil. The smaller does very well in trashy areas, but if you awing too fast, a good target can easily be missed. The larger coil is a little more forgiving in relation to swing speed. This might be why the kids are doing well as a concentric coil can be swung faster. The target separation of the 5x8 is unreal, this was a selling point for me and i've seen this first hand. A coin, say a dime, next to a pulltab can easily be identified with a little practice

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly dug everything yesterday just to get a feel for this coil. The pull tabs I called on every dig. Always 60-63. Bottle caps varied from 70s to one at freaking 97!
I ran mostly in pro coins yesterday with sensitivity at below Max.

Frustration doesn't begin to describe how I feel at this point lol

I feel for ya man. Try this, next time you dig a bottle cap run the coil over it and you will hear a scattered response and the digital readout will probably jump from the 30's and then hit those 70 - 80's in the sweet spot. Then drop a quarter nearby and run it. You will hear a definite solid high tone without the broken tones at the edges of the coil. Its just teaching your ear to decifer the difference. Good luck and don't give up. A test garden will help as well. I have a nail, pop top, foil, penny, dime, quarter buried at various depths and once in awhile I go back a run em all just to keep my ear in tune.....

OP
OP
A

Adamsr0522

Dec 30, 2012
Cohoes NY
Detector(s) used
I feel for ya man. Try this, next time you dig a bottle cap run the coil over it and you will hear a scattered response and the digital readout will probably jump from the 30's and then hit those 70 - 80's in the sweet spot. Then drop a quarter nearby and run it. You will hear a definite solid high tone without the broken tones at the edges of the coil. Its just teaching your ear to decifer the difference. Good luck and don't give up. A test garden will help as well. I have a nail, pop top, foil, penny, dime, quarter buried at various depths and once in awhile I go back a run em all just to keep my ear in tune.....

I haven't given up yet. I'll give it a few more hours with this coil then back to the stock.

I can absolutely see a major difference between the 2 coils.
As for a test garden lol. I TRIED this. My kids dug everything up while I was at work ha ha ha

Admittedly, I have a lot of learning to do with this coil and with the ATP. I am not one to give up overly easy.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.. :icon_thumright:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
honestly try the youtube videos, perhaps you already have, I dont own an atpro (yet:laughing7:) but just those videos alone are teaching me alot, plus i am buying mine off of a local dealer who is 35 yrs experienced and swears by the atpro so hes going to give me a crash course or two and even bring me on a cpl hunts with him to work the newb out of my technique

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When a daughter and i hunt together we compare target registration on occasion before digging,gives a better idea of each units readings. Also allows for tweeking if conditions require a change in settings.
Fortunately detectors are usually in agreement,.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im already up to a dozen bottle caps this year with plenty more to find...go team garrett bottle cap killer

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Im already up to a dozen bottle caps this year with plenty more to find...go team garrett bottle cap killer

Thats all?l.o.l.,i dug 13 in about a half hour. Custom setting still allowed 2 or 3 last hunt. Making recoveries where an at pro worked area. I don,t ask about his settings but have recovered some things he may have discriminated out. Seems the new shallow caps want to be coins the most.

rhartman911

Feb 4, 2013
Camino, Ca
Detector(s) used
3"Highbanker/Dredge Combo, Gold Buddy Mini Highbanker, Keene A52 Sluice Box and a Garett AT Gold Detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am new to the AT Gold and thats all I have dug up so far bottle caps,foil.tabs (junk) but i did find 35 cents and there defently was a big defference in the tone. I am going on 3 hours with it and being my first detector ever I know I need lots of practice. Heres a pic of my first outing
DSCF3508.JPG

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think the 5x8 isnt good then try the sniper coil...ive never dug so many rusty nails ...and pull tabs read as nickels...i will stick with the stock coil its the only 1 that even remotely seems to work i dont have the nail problems with it but it does love the bottle caps...new ones old ones shallow ones deep ones it gets them all ...

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle caps, part of the battle, i gave up complaining about it though :tongue3:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bottle caps, part of the battle, i gave up complaining about it though :tongue3:
I used to think the same thing until i started watching what my friends junk bag would look like at the end of the day..the bounty hunter sharpshooter my friend uses kicks my butt id be suprised if he dug 5 bottle caps the entire summer last year...my friends se pro same thing not a peep over a bottle cap while mine is screaming quarter dime...so just keep telling yourself its part of detecting

KJ&nugget

Mar 9, 2013
Republic of South Afrika and Wa. State USA
Detector(s) used
I use a garrett AT pro.
My son uses a Technetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a bit of an acquired taste, but when you hear the high pink tone all the way to the edge of the coil, its silver. When it's scrambled at the edges of the coil it's a cap. This is not 100% but with time on the machine it's pretty darn close.

Most days I just use it that way and don't dig the noise. However once in a while I dig just to verify. I have not been wrong in a while now. Like 50 or so in a row I called it to be a bottle cap and it was. The AT Pro can talk to you, just gotta listen.

Oh one other thing, I cannot do as well without headphones. With the headphones I'm pretty consistent determining the target. If you're doing this without headphones I think that may be part of the struggle. The tones are far more crisp and clear with the headphones on.

I'm using wireless headphones but they are about the same as the AT Pro Headphones.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to think the same thing until i started watching what my friends junk bag would look like at the end of the day..the bounty hunter sharpshooter my friend uses kicks my butt id be suprised if he dug 5 bottle caps the entire summer last year...my friends se pro same thing not a peep over a bottle cap while mine is screaming quarter dime...so just keep telling yourself its part of detecting

yes but it can also be the spot thats being hunted? some people (myself included, in the past) are quick to say "this detector is crap" or "im wrapping it around a tree" or eff garrett, eff minelab, eff tesoro etc, how about eff the spot thats being hunted? I hated my ace350 for a while until i got on to some hot spots, then all of a sudden my detector and i are in agreement again, its a love hate relationship but im done getting all mad about it, fact of the matter is i love it when its over a hot spot, hate it when its in a crap junk minefield, kinda hypocritical i guess but bottom line is: your coil needs to be over good targets to find them plain and simple

p.s. anyone who wants to compare a 1200-2000 dollar minelab to a 600 garrett should understand that majority of the time the more expensive detector will in fact perform better

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what state you live in but the hot spots arent so hot anymore around here anything old and standing is hunted to death id dig every bottle cap signal in those places but i rarely do any good out of an entire summer i managed 1 barber dime 1 merc and 1 rosi from hunting the obvious churches..old buildings ect... now those old places are gravy compared to a old park thats in use still today...there knee deep in bottle caps that the garretts cant deal with...yes they need to come out of the ground to get a real idea of whats under them but im not always in the mood to dig 100's of bottle caps so it would be nice to have a machine do its job and discriminate...and on a side note the se pro my friends hunting with is 6 years old and not worth 1200-2000 dollars thats laughable ...the bounty hunter sharp shooter 2 is about 300 ish give or take and does better then any garrett on bottle caps although id never buy a bounty hunter myself id have to say its a better unit then garrett

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang, i,m starting to wonder what would happen if i tried to dig caps only. I usually have to work at it to get the majority to ring up coin,but on a very wet hunt after passing coin dropping off to iron quickly and repeatedly i started digging those same signals and they were cents! L.o.l.. plenty of hours on units,not in water 2 inches deep into holes though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread