Search Coil "Center" or Crosshairs?

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your trying to pinpoint better here's my process. Sometimes ill use the button but it doesn't always seem to lock onto the target I'm after. If your getting a good tone what and you've kinda narrowed it down I keep sweeping over it until I've got it figured out on what line the target sits then while continuing to wiggle back and forth (really left and right over the tone) while backing up on the target. When the tone drops off its just in front or right under the tip of the centerline of the coil. I use the same basic method when actually using the pinpoint mode. Pass over, hear the tone. Press and hold the button then pass over it left and right until you have the centerline of the target figured then back the detector up on that line until the tone starts dropping off. I usually pick a weed or spot in the grass then that's the target and cut the plug around it. Almost always right there. I think you can use one of those holes in the coil but I've got plenty of time on an at pro with stock and 5x8 coils and the tip of the coil method suits me better. I don't want to look through them holes to pick my spot.

Haven't really seen anything online but I haven't looked much either. I believe the manual says something about it but I only ever gave it a glance. My infinium has a little red crosshair type thing on the coil iirc but I use the tip on that one too.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The double-d coils take some effort to learn pinpointing especially on surface targets. I suggest you watch the videos on the Garrett website. It is easier to pinpoint surface targets if you lower the sensitivity and hold the coil a few inches off the ground. Also like was already said, use the tip or tail method. In trashy areas I hold the coil a few inches above the target and retune the pinpoint button instead of off to the side. Deeper targets are not much of a problem.

OP
OP
hoosierguy

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what brand or coil design the "sweet spot" of a coil is at the dead center of said coil.

May be true but I get the same tone off the tip that I get at the center and it seems easier to pinpoint off the tip than trying to see the spot through the coil. Different strokes for differ

hondapartshero

Jan 9, 2013
I just posted some videos on my YT page yesterday, one for the AT Pro stock coil 8.5x11, AT Pro/Gold 8x5, and Ace 250 6.5x9 stock coil. Check it out and let me know what you think
The link is in my signature.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hoosierguy

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No matter what brand or coil design the "sweet spot" of a coil is at the dead center of said coil.

Makes sense, but it would seem that manufacturers would mark their coils in some fashion as a visual clue. I don't have a problem pin-pointing with my coils, I just feel that a visual clue on the coil itself would make it a little easier.

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like every time I pin point and the signal is strongest at center of the coil, I almost always need to dig forward towards the front in order to locate the target.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an AT PRO and for me it pin points very well, I dig a very small plug and I am usually dead on. Here is what I do. Generally when I get the ping I am listening for I will move around in a circle to assure I got a good target. By now I am pretty sure where it is as I move my coil, and on MY AT PRO center is right above the center of the coil where the bar goes across. Now my eye is focused on the spot, I move my Coil off the point and press the pin point button and move back to my spot. Your sound will get very loud and the graph will move up to the max. OK, now I got the target so I will now move my coil forward and back , holding the pinpoint button while doing this, and you should run out of sound when you are off target and it should be the same spot on the tip of the coil and tail. That's where you dig... my holes are generally just three or four inches so when I am done you never even know I dug a hole. And I dug a lot of holes and the target is generally within that diameter. Hope that helps?

Last edited:

Fast Ed

Jan 31, 2013
Scotia, ny
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Garrett AT Max, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an AT PRO and for me it pin points very well, I dig a very small plug and I am usually dead on. Here is what I do. Generally when I get the ping I am listening for I will move around in a circle to assure I got a good target. By now I am pretty sure where it is as I move my coil, and on MY AT PRO center is right above the center of the coil where the bar goes across. Now my eye is focused on the spot, I move my Coil off the point and press the pin point button and move back to my spot. Your sound will get very loud and the graph will move up to the max. OK, now I got the target so I will now move my coil forward and back and you should run out of sound when you are off target and it should be the same spot on the tip of the coil and tail. That's where you dig... my holes are generally just three or four inches so when I am done you never even know I dug a hole. And I dug a lot of holes and the target is generally within that diameter. Hope that helps?

Thanks Badpenny.....I need to practice more and I will try your method :)

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great videos, exactly what I was attempting to explain above. The AT Pro has excellent pin pointing; I dig very small holes and find my target without a problem.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always put a target out or bury one and see for yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread