Should I send it back? (5x8 DD)

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I just recently purchased and received the 5x8DD for my new AT Pro after reading many great reviews about it's excellent target separation in trashy ground. I found that it was out of stock most places and with a mix of impatience and a looming hunt on promising ground this weekend, I decided to purchase from a top rated seller on fleabay..

The item was listed as "New, Unopened, in the original packaging where available etc.." and came with the coil cover for a reasonable price so I went for it. Upon receiving and unpacking the coil wednesday I noticed some things that were a bit concerning. My first uneasy feeling came from the fact that the item was shipped in a "bubble bag" and stuffed into another bubble pouch inside the bag..No box or original packaging. The outside of the bubble bag showed no sign of damage or abuse and I don't really care about the original packaging so I figured "no big deal" As I opened the bubble pouch I saw 3 objects which immediately struck me as odd but it appeared as if the seller just threw in an extra coil cover for whatever reason. When I removed the coil I saw that it looked differently than I thought it should and the bottom of it looked almost like bare metal. Upon further inspection I notice an area of scratches and what appears to be a couple dents/gouges on the coils heel.. Today I noticed a spot of what appears to be some sort of adhesive on the inside of the coils opening.

My instinct tells me to contact the seller and return the coil based simply on principle but I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some opinions first.

So after that long winded explanation (apologies) what would you guys do?

Is the coil supposed to look like this? My AT Pro with the stock coil is not with me to compare the differences but it seems to me that the plastic housing on the stock coil surrounded it entirely and there was no bare metal showing?

How fragile are these coils anyway?

What do you think happened here? Used? Factory defect?

Again, I apologize for the long rant and look forward to your opinions,

Chris

IMG_9759.JPG IMG_9768.JPG IMG_9770.JPG IMG_9774.JPG

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally it looks like some sort of factory problem to me

maybe the seller is buying large "scratch and dent" lots from the factory or the like and then reselling on ebay.

I don't believe (based on the pics) that there will be any problem with the functionality of the coil as it doesn't look compromised in any way - the only way to tell is test it out

if it doesn't work like it should - then I would return it for a refund - other than that - if it works as it should - I'd just put the coil cover on it - seal it with silicon so no water/dirt gets in/under the cover and call it good (but that's just me). Others may have a xxxx fit and return it just because that's how they are which is ok but I'm just telling you what I'd do to avoid waiting another 3 or 4 weeks for another one from a dealer.

I'd leave the seller a neutral feedback though IF I kept it and explain what the issue is/was too (I'd only leave a Negative IF he didn't refund if I wanted my cash back and I had to open a dispute over it).

Good luck no matter

HH

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too thought the coil was used. I never recommend anyone buying anything electronic used. Garrett has a great customer service policy. I just didn't like my AT Pro for water wading.

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input Lonewolfe, I'm gonna test it out today and if it seems off then I will be contacting the seller as well as Garrett. It looks like I'm not the first to have this same issue with the same seller, though I will not give negative feedback until I give him the opportunity to correct the issue.

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you very much sir:notworthy: for doing my homework for me. That is exactly what I was after, same exact issue and from the same dealer as well. Looks like Garrett's excellent customer service solved the issue for the OP, I'm hoping for the same outcome.

You've been a big help.

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too thought the coil was used. I never recommend anyone buying anything electronic used. Garrett has a great customer service policy. I just didn't like my AT Pro for water wading.

Thanks for the reply Sandman, I don't care to buy used electronics either and going by vpnavy's post it appears that Garrett may indeed address and correct the problem as they have in the past.

I'll post back eventually with the outcome.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks like it was dropped on the tip on a hard surface. The bubble pack is how Garrett ships them to the dealers. I always open the bubble pack and check before shipping, I had one come in once with the coil ears broken off. Garrett will take care of you, or ask the guy you bought it from to make it right.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread