Pro Pointer has to go back

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Pro Pointer started acting up about a week ago, whenever I would place it in a hole, trying to locate a target, it would start its beeping and vibrating and just wouldn't stop. I held it over my head and it kept beeping and when I would lay it down it would emit a half hearted beep like it was taking its last breath. A quick search of the web revealed I am not alone either. Garrett had me send it back, I hope it gets fixed or better yet replaced so I don't have to deal with the problem any longer. But I sure miss not having it; it made locating a target faster. However, I dug a dozen or so holes yesterday without it and pulled out some nice coins, a few silver quarters, a wheat penny, some dimes and nickels too. And no bottle caps either... Only two questionable holes got dug which yielded some crap, I thought it would be crap but just wanted to be sure.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Switch went in mine. Less than two weeks I had a new one, that included shipping time to and from Michigan. They are great, you will be pleased! I bought a Harbor Freight special$17, till I got it back, they acually work ok, in a pinch

Last edited:
OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked with CS before and they are the best in the business as far as I am concerned, so I know it will be taken care of, but thanks for the words of encouragement.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Regardless of the pointer - you might consider putting it in a ziplock bag (cut off excess and used a few pieces of scotch tape) to help protect the switch, speaker, etc.

Attachments

• pointer.jpg
    pointer.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 168
OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea. I was thinking about putting tape over the speaker for sure but maybe I'll look for a tight fitting removable bag too. I know I didn't get it wet, but I did have it muddy a few times but NEVER up near the switch or speaker.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I hated getting it dirty (one of my many hangups!) so covered it. Now, I just wipe it off after it gets all muddy. Baggie has absolutely no affect on the pointer.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no intention of ever using it in water so that might not be a bad idea either.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey VP what size bag would it need to fit into? I see some 2 1/2 x 12 out there and was wondering if they are big enough? A quick check of the Garrett site gave me the dimensions but without the Pointer in hand I don't know if it would fit when I try to slide it in. Uline makes the bags.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some 3x24 shrink wrap on ebay. It's used for RC cars.

My son actually races RC cars and he might have some, send me the link regardless. Thx!

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Pro Pointer yet, Garrett told me it should be fixed and shipped by the end of Next week. Damn, I really miss that thing; it made life so much easier on that questionable ping. :0(

It arrived home, I will check it out layer today.

Last edited:

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
Just a side note. I'm looking to buy a pointer and was wondering what the range on pointer Pro is. I looked at the Whites and it was an inch. Not sold on that one. Thanks and HH. WH

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello William, I never used a White detector so I am not familiar with them. However, I do own a Garrett and I can tell you it works great. I never tested how deep it goes so I can't give you a depth but I can tell you it does go deep though and if it tells you something is there, it's there.

I did receive mine back and it works great, as before.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a side note. I'm looking to buy a pointer and was wondering what the range on pointer Pro is. I looked at the Whites and it was an inch. Not sold on that one. Thanks and HH. WH

William, it depends on the size of the target. Penney/dime is about 1.5-2inches, larger targets go deeper. Garrett offers a two year warranty, we offer free US shipping right now on Pro-pointers. Give us a call if we can help you with your purchase.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And back it goes again; it's still not right.

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
Man that's no good. Sorry to hear that. Hope they get it fixed this time. Good luck.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure they will; my guess the board is bad they changed the coil on it the last time and that didn't fix it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread