Garrett 5 x 8 Pro coil vs standard

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I placed the 5 x 8 coil on my AT Pro and took it for a spin over some ground I previously covered and the first thing I noticed was the sound; there wasn't the usual crackle and pops which I heard in Pro Zero Mode with 35 discrimination. I seeded the yard by throwing my bag of test stuff in the air then went on the hunt. No noise until I hit my targets and it was a lot lighter to swing. I am impressed, and plan to use it on a very trashy area I hunted previously to see what, if anything, I missed. I should mention I did dig a few nickels which I missed along with a few small pieces of brass. I like this coil on my clay soil; it works for me, and I don't have to listen as hard as I did to the old one. And no, I didn't dig any bottle caps or pull tabs either. I'm just sayin'!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
When testing a coil, do simple air tests. That way do dont have to worry about throwing a bag of test stuff all willy nilly in your yard. First gb, zero scrim, max sense. Place a variety of targets on good clean ground two feet apart nickel, copper cent, zincoln, some clad, some silver, a pull tab, a gold ring, whatever you want. Sweep the coil no closer than 4", this is realistic and anything closer overloads the machine and confounds pp. Work the coil further and further away until you lose signal. That is your air depth. I never seen a tecter to fail a ten inch deep silver quarter air test.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gleaner1, but I assumed everyone did the air test, as did I, my bag consist of a few odds and ends which I know what they are and they all go back in the bag after every test. And I have to say the coil worked just fine on both air and ground test. I didn't bury anything to test it, I dug a few items and they were what I expected them to be. Thank you again...

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again Wayne, it works great and I would recommend anyone thinking about this one to purchase it; you won't regret it. And they should use you too; they won't regret it while supporting the site too.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I find the 5x8 has become my go to coil unless I'm at the beach or hunting a large area of open ground. Oh yeah, thanks for the great deal Wayne.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread