Ace 250 sending out odd signals, help me please!!!

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an Ace 250 for Christmas and I have had several signals that show up as a $1 and 8 inches deep. I have dug at least a foot to see if I could find them to no avail. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?....Thanks

Also, What is your usual setting that you use on sensitivity for the Ace?. I use the standard coil that came with it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many use to high a sensitivity setting and this is what is happening to you. The detector has a set ground balance and to high a sens. setting does funny things in different parts of the country. Garrett has made a nice detector that is simple to operate, at a good price, but not all over the place.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I get the very same signals that you describe. I'm not 100% what causes them, but turning the sensitivity down seems to help. Also, if my signals are like the ones you describe, then you will also notice how loud and sharp they are right? Imagine it like this, only a shallow coin would sound so sharp and true. A coin sized object 8 inches down would probably not sound that way. Also, think about this.........with a low sensitivity setting of let's say 4 bars, would a coin even be picked up at 8 inches? Unlikelely. When I have my 250 set at 4 bars, I ignore just about every signal that is 6 or more inches deep unless it is a very good one, because at that sens level, it is highly unlikely to be a dime let's say as an example. At 4 bars, the 250 would pick up a dime at 3-4 inches. Take my word for it, the more and more hours you spend with your machine, the more you will learn about it and the more tricks up your sleeve you will have based on experience..........it comes with practice and trial and error. I've had my machine for two months and am learning something new about it every day that I go out there.

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you near highline wires or something else that could mess with the detector? Sounds to me the sensitivity is to high.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great input. It does operate better at a lower sensitvity setting.

Z

ztzzt

I feel your pain. For me, the Ace 250 is not an easy machine to learn. It has a lot of querks and pinpointing is not consistant regardless of how many posts and tips you read. That is why I just ordered my DFX. Wanted a simple detector. ;D ;D ;D

popcorn

Jun 18, 2005
when I get those strange redings from mine I reduce the sensitvity till it clears up

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions