Reverse discrimination opposite

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out to the beach today and was trying to get the hang of the rev disc thing. Every thing I've read and all the videos I've watched say that if a target still sounds off in rev disc that it is likely iron. I found the opposite to be true at my beach. I hunted for about 4 hours today and when I hit a target I would put the finny into rev disc. Here is what I found out after many many targets dug:

1. Bobby pins disappear in reverse disc. I tested this so often that my back hurts from digging.
2. Dimes changed from a low/high signal to a high/low in rev disc
3. Quarters stayed low/high in rev disc
4. Pull tabs all but disappeared in rev disc (unless real close to the surface)
5. Steel bottle caps did not disappear but the signal got real choppy and more quiet
6. Nickles still produced a signal but it was much weaker
7. I buried my wedding band in wet sand around 5" deep and the signal hit hard high/low in regular and rev disc
8. Rusty nails and screws hit high/low in both modes.
9. small steel like staples disappeared in rev disc.

Now all of this seems to fly in the face of all the info I've gathered on the Infinium and while I don't understand why, I like it, I like it a lot. I'm confident that I can go out, find a target, put it in rev disc and if the signal goes away that I don't need to dig. Has anyone found their Infinium to do this as well? again, today I dug everything regardless of tone in rev disc just to see what it really does. As a side note; I followed in the tracks of a guy using a Minelab Excalibur and took 2 dimes a nickel and 2 pennies right off his foot prints

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just because someone detects ahead of you and you follow them finding things doesn't necessarily mean your detector is better if you find something. The first hunter could have moved to fast, not over lapped, or other bad coil habits, was distracted by some eye candy or other things.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will assume you are are an excalibur user. I'm not flaming the Minelab, almost bought one myself, I believe they are a great machine. This hunter was slow and methodical. Not sure why he missed the targets. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact I was using a pi machine and was getting deeper. And maybe you could point out exactly where in my previous post I claimed to have a better machine.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman wasn't saying you said yours was better, only why you might be finding stuff behind him... If he was using excal with 10 inch coil it is easy to miss targets, I use excal with either the 15 inch wot or 12x15 inch sef butterfly coils (have 2 excals), I miss very little and I am going deep, routinely hitting targets 12-16 inches deep...

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearly he assumed I was implying my machine was better, which I was not. They are two completely different machines, be that as it may, does anybody, that uses an infinium, have any idea why it would act this way?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but your wrong, Sandman has been here 8 years and is extremely knowledgeable in many different machines, that is not how he is, but no need in arguing about it................

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'm wrong, he never posted, "just because you follow someone and find things doesn't mean your detector is better". Is there anybody in the "Garrett" forum that actually uses a Garrett detector, maybe an Infinium user that has a possible reason why my detector would be acting the way it is?

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an infinium. I quit screwing with the reverse discrimination because it is too much of a pain in the butt. Especially if your in the waves holding a scoop. By the time I could turn the knob and swing a few more times I could just dig it up.

I like it in the water and all but I find that it was easier to just dig it all. I felt like it was inconsistent at times when using reverse disc because some stuff would go quiet, sometimes the tone would change but after digging it wasn't always what I expected. Been my experience in the water that there wasn't so many targets that I had to to have discrimination to weed out the junk. Sometimes it's a screw top and I guess someone with a lot of time on it might be able to hear the difference but I bet I've dug that cap and gone off looking for the next signal while that someone might still be trying to decide whether its a quarter or a screw cap.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread