AT Pro acting erratically all the sudden?!?

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I haven't had the chance to hit any great spots with my new AT Pro yet, though I have spent about 10-15hrs in my own yard getting to know this great detector and am really falling in love with it. So far I've found about $3 in clad, a merc dime, a war nickel and a small sterling ring ..not to mention the loads of junk that come with the territory..:laughing7:

Which brings me to today... I arrived home from work and decided to take the machine out to check a couple areas in the yard that I haven't hit yet and when as soon as I powered it on it started going crazy..tones and Id's all over the place even while holding it still in mid air. I couldn't get it to shut up no matter what I tried (short of powering it off) I checked my coil connection, replaced the batteries and switched coils to no avail.

I've been very careful with it so far as I am with most things and cannot see any reason why it would start acting this way out of nowhere.

I'm gonna contact Garrett tomorrow but I wanted to get some input first as it's got me pretty bummed:icon_scratch:

Chris

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I haven't had the chance to hit any great spots with my new AT Pro yet, though I have spent about 10-15hrs in my own yard getting to know this great detector and am really falling in love with it. So far I've found about $3 in clad, a merc dime, a war nickel, a small sterling ring and an agricultural token from the early 1900s..not to mention the loads of junk that come with the territory..:laughing7:

Which brings me to today... I arrived home from work and decided to take the machine out to check a couple areas in the yard that I haven't hit yet and when as soon as I powered it on it started going crazy..tones and Id's all over the place even while holding it still in mid air. I couldn't get it to shut up no matter what I tried (short of powering it off) I checked my coil connection, replaced the batteries and switched coils to no avail.

I've been very careful with it so far as I am with most things and cannot see any reason why it would start acting this way out of nowhere.

I'm gonna contact Garrett tomorrow but I wanted to get some input first as it's got me pretty bummed:icon_scratch:

Chris

Chris, Garrett will take care of you. Just for reference, you can do a factory reset by holding down the power button for approximately 10 seconds until you hear a double beep.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies gentlemen and it's great to know that they will resolve the problem.
I was gonna try that factory reset earlier Wayne but I couldn't remember how:BangHead: Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

Did I just get a defective unit or is this known to happen?

I know they had issues in the beginning but this one was made this year:dontknow:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gremlins, do the factory reset and if that doesn't resolve your problem call Garrett, their CS is second to none.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont see the problem? You are finding a lot of stuff.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
You weren't by chance close to a power line or generator? They put of electro magnetic radiation that can cause interference with your machine. Mine does it sometimes if I'm under a power line and hold my coil up. Just a thought.

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the factory reset and it continues to go spastic when I power it on.

I've made sure to test it far from any electrical interference, the machine just goes crazy and it's completely unusable anywhere.

I'm awaiting a reply from Garrett now, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do your self a favor by turning off your dang cell phone. Other things can affect any detectors performance, not just the AT PRO. Most likely if you send it in they will just dumb it down. Electiical Interference

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman: I never keep my cell in my pocket when I go MD'ing, I like to eliminate all possible variables for interference in my hunting8-) Thanks for the suggestion though I'm sure many of us don't consider these things.

Now when you say Garrett will probably just "dumb it down" that concerns me..what exactly do you mean by this?

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure Garrett will get her back up and running in no time.

I sure hope you're right sir, as of now I can't even get them to call or email me back. I suppose I'm being a bit impatient though:laughing7:

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried changing the frequency its on? and i always have the phone in my pocket, never had a problem with either of my machines from it, is your pro pointer acting up too, had a problem with mine going crazy and took it over to garrett and they replaced it.

Downstream

Jan 12, 2012
Utah
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My machine did the same thing, I was really worried. I couldn't get it to stop. Then I realized I was moderately close (300 yds) to some major power lines. I took my machine to a different location and it was fine.

Is there any chance that there was a large power source near by? They are very sensitive. Either way Garrett will take care of you. Good luck in getting back out there ASAP.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman: I never keep my cell in my pocket when I go MD'ing, I like to eliminate all possible variables for interference in my hunting8-) Thanks for the suggestion though I'm sure many of us don't consider these things.

Now when you say Garrett will probably just "dumb it down" that concerns me..what exactly do you mean by this?

Birky, when someone sends in a detector that is unstable, like from picking up EMI signals, any company tests the machine to make sure a solder join didn't break, or a component didn't fail. If none of these are the cause of the thing being unstable, they could turn down the sens inside to make it less sensitive to the receiving signal. Hence, "dumbing it down." But finding why the detector is unstable in the customer's hands is a problem as most hunters don't know how they work. The hunter describes something that means something else to the Tech.

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's
I would try going to some different places and check it there..
If you have another coil,, try it..
If you have a coil cover, make sure to take it off and clean it and the coil..
I have had 2 bad coils, a stock coil and a 4.5" super sniper coil that were bad,,that happens with any brand..
Now day's there are so many kind's of EMI..
Good Luck.
BJ

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you tried about everything. I recall a guy said his coil connection was loose and he got water inside the connection. He unhooked the coil wire and let it dry out. Never had another problem. So, it's worth a try.

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birky, when someone sends in a detector that is unstable, like from picking up EMI signals, any company tests the machine to make sure a solder join didn't break, or a component didn't fail. If none of these are the cause of the thing being unstable, they could turn down the sens inside to make it less sensitive to the receiving signal. Hence, "dumbing it down." But finding why the detector is unstable in the customer's hands is a problem as most hunters don't know how they work. The hunter describes something that means something else to the Tech.

That's what I was afraid you were implying..it's seems to me like that would have to seriously lower it's performance?? I've turned the sensitivity all the way down and it still behaves the same way..

However, I'm 100% confident that it will be blindingly obvious to any Tech who powers on this unit that there's something seriously wrong.

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you tried about everything. I recall a guy said his coil connection was loose and he got water inside the connection. He unhooked the coil wire and let it dry out. Never had another problem. So, it's worth a try.

Thank you for your input and suggestion, I'll file that for future reference. But I checked my coil connection frequently and the only moisture that has been near this detector is the lightly damp rag I use to wipe it down occasionally.

I just can't fathom how it goes from functioning beautifully one day and within 24rs of no change in condition it is completely unusable???

That really hurts my confidence about this detector..I guess we'll see.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Birky, Garrett will take good care of you. If its a new unit, be sure and tell them when you call. Most times, they will send you a prepaid shipping label on a new detector. Electronics, all types, generally have an initial failure in the early hours of use.

As far as "dumbing down" , I doubt seriously that Garrett would adjust a detector below specifications.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread