Any advice on recognizing aluminum screw caps and crushed cans AT-Pro

OKdigger

Greenie
Apr 20, 2013
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
I am new to the AT-Pro, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice about recognizing screw caps and crushed cans with the AT Pro?

I have noticed that screw caps often sound like a double blip in the 75-80 range. Sometimes with a consistent ID number, sometimes not. Likewise, crushed aluminum cans give similar indications. Other than that, I have have not been able to discern the difference between these trash targets and a good target.

Any advice?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Learn your detector on how it reacts to different sized targets. A crushed can will allow the coil to be positioned much higher above the target with a strong signal, vs. a coin sized object. Screw caps often give a harsher audio due to the many extra eddies created by the many ridges around the cap to help with traction when removing the caps. Also, learn the VDI numbers in your type of soil. If you are not sure....dig it. It costs you nothing to find out what it is.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a crushed can is a "large item" target vs a coin sized target * so lift the coil upwards if the signal drops out rapidly most likely its a coin sized item if not its most likely a can.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum screw caps are my arch nemesis! In my area they usually go 79-80 on the VDI, and they give sort of a "clicking" sound. I can tell if it's a cap 9 out of 10 times, however I dig them all and clear them from my area. You never know if it's a barber dime being masked by trash! I can't tell you how many times I have found silver coins hiding under the garbage. My advise, dig them all. As already mentioned, cans are no problem to identify...raise your detector up and up...if it's beeping at 12" off the ground it's a can or something large. Still dig it and check the hole again...you never know.

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab gofind 20, Fisher F2, Garrett underwater pro pointer, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers/ MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to give you some advice but it looks like it was already covered pretty thorougly by these other Treasure Hunters. Good job guys and HH!

OP
OP
OKdigger

OKdigger

Greenie
Apr 20, 2013
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Thanks for all the advice.

I tried raising the coil this morning and had good results. I still dug a few to reinforce my confidence in the technique, and every time I had a strong signal when the coil was several inches off the ground, there was indeed some kind of aluminum can.
As for the aluminum screw caps, I believe I will need more practice, but I did get a little better at predicting them thanks to the advice I have received here.

Thanks so much everyone.

Juice Diggalow

Apr 24, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab gofind 20, Fisher F2, Garrett underwater pro pointer, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers/ MPX Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps are really about listening to your AT Pro. Turn the iron discrimination on when you hit a signal and just listen to it. Does it sound like a clean high tone or is there some low tones at the beginning and the end. Your Metal detector must also be set on pro mode. Hope this helped some. You should practice by trying this with coins and bottle caps at the house so you can get comfortable with the sounds.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes we old timers know a few tricks

we learned on sound only machines * with no displays --so we learned to listen very carefully to the machines noises --was it crisp and sharp /clean or was it a bit "crackly" --

Last edited:
OP
OP
OKdigger

OKdigger

Greenie
Apr 20, 2013
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
yes we old timers know a few tricks

we learned on sound only machines * with no displays --so we learned to listen very carefully to the machines noises --was it crisp and sharp /clean or was it a bit "crackly" --

Well, in some cases when the screw cap is crushed nice and flat, the sound seems very clean. It does seem to make a difference whether it is crushed straight down evenly, or crushed from the side.
I don't mind digging them just in case it's coin, but it would make me feel a lot mor confident in my abilities to be able to recognize them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions