Fifteen wheat pennies all in the same yard!! no silvers??????? ACE 350

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found fifteen wheat pennies in my front yard, all ranging from 4 to 10 inches. I have also found other things, some really nice finds and some trash. My question is, where are the silver coins? It seems to me that finding this many wheat pennies, oldest one being 1910, that there would be some silver coins. Any thoughts on this? Are they being masked by trash, too deep, or just not here? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd think you'd have at least a merc hiding there somewhere. Walk a good pattern, swing slow. It's possible they've been picked by someone else who left the pennies. If its a trashy place then it's definitely possible that good targets are being masked by more recent trash but I'd certainly think you could get at least a dime out of a place that produces 15 wheats.

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd think you'd have at least a merc hiding there somewhere. Walk a good pattern, swing slow. It's possible they've been picked by someone else who left the pennies. If its a trashy place then it's definitely possible that good targets are being masked by more recent trash but I'd certainly think you could get at least a dime out of a place that produces 15 wheats.

You would think, but so far no luck on the silver coins. I have pulled some great finds, a really cool brooch, a silver bracelet, and some other neat things though. Guess i will have to do a grid and go slow like you suggested. Thanks

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet they are in the back yard.

I guess i had that one coming! I haven't really had any luck in the back yard at all, just trash mostly. I did find a coin from Hong Kong, and a 1964 nickel back there though. I will continue the hunt!

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess i had that one coming! I haven't really had any luck in the back yard at all, just trash mostly. I did find a coin from Hong Kong, and a 1964 nickel back there though. I will continue the hunt!

Silver turns up in the weirdest places. I pulled a merc from a playground only 1 inch down in wood chips.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brandon, don't feel bad; I haven't found any in my yard either. I did find a wheat yesterday mixed in with a trashy signal. I wasn't going to dig but the area I was hunting wasn't givin' up anything and I thought what the hell. I found a '53 Wheat buried about ten inches. Yes, ten inches... and I pulled out some foil and then a small green stone, it is cut on one side and round on the other, no ring, just the stone. I don't know if it's glass or what but it was cool and surprised me. I guess I'll have to check the rest of the yard to see what else may be in there. Funny, I never buried anything back there and this stuff was buried, I also found a perfume bottle which was really neat and it still had perfume in it.

What I tried was this: I have the 5 x 8 coil on my AT Pro and instead of wrapping the cord close to the bottom of the coil I brought it straight up to the tightening screw and tapped it there then started to twist it. When I took the machine to the yard I ground balanced it and that read 80, as I walked through the yard swinging there wasn't a sound, nothing. Hell I thought it came unplugged; it was that quite, then it started to talk when I hit targets and that sucker was going deep and the ground was really dry. I had sensitivity only down one notch too. Give it a try and see what it does for you; it really worked for me, on this soil anyway, and it is a red clay.

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I tried was this: I have the 5 x 8 coil on my AT Pro and instead of wrapping the cord close to the bottom of the coil I brought it straight up to the tightening screw and tapped it there then started to twist it.

Thanks for the insight. I do keep my cord wrapped tight though, are you saying bring it strait up and then wrap?

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, since my coils are on their own shafts I brought it up to where the bottom shaft would slide into the main shaft and that is where I taped it on. Also, I tapped it about 8 inches from the top of my detector too just so the cord didn't get caught on anything but that was just for my own piece of mind there. Try it and let me know if you notice a difference by running it straight up, mine goes up about ten inches before I tape.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing exactly the same thing with my Infinium for a while now. I suspected that there might be some kind of effect from the wrapping being so close to the coil but haven't actually taken the time to prove it. Instead of tape, I use velcro wire ties that I picked up at the Home Depot.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the velcro idea, if I remember I 'll pick up a few.

OP
OP
brandonsmith

brandonsmith

Apr 21, 2013
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill give this a try and let you guys know what effect it has.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to your take on it. Honestly, I thought my coil came unplugged or something that's how quiet it became on the ground I was testing it on.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it...I found 47 pennies in my yard and 100+ nails before I found my first silver Roosevelt yesterday....renewed my confidence and my desire to keep hunting my yard... ..that, and finding old door hinges and an old hand poured brick a few feet away from where I later discovered the silver...never give up....never surrender

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found close to 100 penny's in my front yard along with quarters,dimes & nickles,and lots of junk,nails and bottle caps.Neatest non coin finds have been ,1 skeleton key,1 old hotel key,asst. drill bits and a brass hose thingy.
Best coin fine was a 1958 nickle about 8 inches down.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread