BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Infinium headphones became intermittent today and I am sure I am past warranty. It turned out that the ground pin hadn't been soldered very well to the headphone wire and it had broken loose. I have fixed a lot of headphone plugs in my time but boy was this a beast. Here are the steps I followed to disassemble the plug:

1. Slide plastic plug cap out of the way
  2. Carefully unscrew the plastic strain relief from the body of the plug; Note that the threads have been sealed
  3. Slide the rear rubber plug a few inches up the wire
  4. Gently grasp the soft plastic front plug that houses the connection pins and pull it straight out; If you are lucky at least one pin will stay connected to a wire; Note that the front plug is keyed and should not be twisted
  5. Pull out any pins that came out with the front plug
  6. Try to figure out which pin is connected to the black wire and which is connected to the red/white pair (it probably doesn't really matter much)
  7. Pull the wire free of the plug body. This may take some force as the plug is filled with silicone rubber
  8. Find the right size drill and drill-out the silicone rubber from inside the plug body

After removing all of the old wire from the pins and resoldering them correctly, make sure all the parts are in order on the wire and insert the pins back into the front plug. If you forgot which goes where, look at the unit.

Here is a picture of the setup just before re-assembly:
20130510_173830.jpg

(Note that I am working on aluminum foil so I don't mess up the table with solder or silicone adhesive.

To re-assemble:
  1. Fill the front of the plug body with silicone adhesive
  2. Slide the front plug back in place; This will force the silicone adhesive into the rear of the plug body along with the wires
  3. Make sure the back of the plug body is full of silicone adhesive
  4. Slide the rear rubber plug back into place; Use the displaced silicone adhesive to pack the threads
  5. Carefully screw the strain relief back into place
  6. Slide the plug cap back into place
  7. Clean up the mess and lubricate the O-ring with silicone grease (not adhesive)

There are no promises that it will be waterproof at depth. If you were careful it should be at least water resistant. Good Luck!

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet fix good sir....I was kindif curious if there is/can be a way to implement in the chord q quick release to take off the headphones quick fast and n a hurry, but yet keeping the short length of cable attached to the box waterproof so I can go underwater w it...probly not possible, but I'd like to find out ... It'd just be easier than carrying around the Garrett cover and unhooking and rehooking the cable w my long stupid fingers...

OP
OP
BadM0nkey

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found a reason to disconnect the headphones once I attached them. I always just hang them on the cuff when I am done, so I haven't given it any thought.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I do that too, but this summer I'm going river hunting...Idk how deep some may get....ill probly just save my dirty clad and spend 80$ on the waterproof Garrett ones so I can go all the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread