Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pin point over the target and that should give you a closer depth.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the target is close to the top of the ground mine will usually read about 4" so I figure I am swinging about 2" above ground so I figure it's close to the top anyway. If it reads 6" it is usually 4" so I just keep that in the back of my mind knowing more often than not the target is closer to the surface than it is reading

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth indication is more accurate in pinpoint mode. I believe this is because the depth is from the center of the coil. So if a target is 3 inches deep and 3 inches away from the center, it would display 6 inches. By pinpointing, you move the center of the coil over the target and get a more accurate depth. Objects larger than a coin will read shallower than they are, so soda cans may show 2-4 inches when they are actually much deeper.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
kickit

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
That sounds logical I've never noticed in pinpoint mode what it is reading but will for sure check it...Thanks!

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the target is close to the top of the ground mine will usually read about 4" so I figure I am swinging about 2" above ground so I figure it's close to the top anyway. If it reads 6" it is usually 4" so I just keep that in the back of my mind knowing more often than not the target is closer to the surface than it is reading

That is one of those things that is so obvious we all seem to miss it

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne is correct, before I dig a target I pinpoint overtop of it and even set the coil right on the ground, look at the depth and it is usually pretty accurate. I know a lot of you have trouble pin pointing a target, luckily I am a natural. LOL! And when I cut and flip the plug 95% of the time it is right where I dug. And if my depth read 2" I take the pin pointer, locate the target and pop it out, I am like Casper the friendly ghost; you don't even know I was there. LOL! I always check the area with the pin pointer before I dig; like pop always said "You never know when a blind squirrel will find an acorn."

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find the sensitivity setting can possibly influence the depth reading. The other day I was down at a boat launch, waiting for the rest of the gang to arrive and I took out my ATPro, cut the sensitivity back to 1 bar, so I wouldn't read to deep and started hunting.
First target was clad, good solid hit and while pinpointing I saw it was at 4 inches deep. I took my sniffer probe and it gave a hot signal, which meant it was not that deep. I scratched the gravel where the probe showed at the coin was sitting less than a 1/2 inch (just out of visual). I picked up a few more, then I realized it was probably the sensitivity setting.
Next coin I hit I (again at 4 inches), instead of retrieving it I raised the sensitivity back up to 2 bars from max. Now it pinpointed at 2 inches. I picked up several more clads when the gang got there and we headed out to the camp.
Roy

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wayne is correct, before I dig a target I pinpoint overtop of it and even set the coil right on the ground, look at the depth and it is usually pretty accurate. I know a lot of you have trouble pin pointing a target, luckily I am a natural. LOL! And when I cut and flip the plug 95% of the time it is right where I dug. And if my depth read 2" I take the pin pointer, locate the target and pop it out, I am like Casper the friendly ghost; you don't even know I was there. LOL! I always check the area with the pin pointer before I dig; like pop always said "You never know when a blind squirrel will find an acorn."
That's what I do also! Once I have it pin pointed,I lower the coil down right on top of the ground,and it seems to give a more accurate reading on the depth.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I agree with what Wayne said, it is showing you the distance from the center of the coil to the target so if you are not right on top of it that is where the difference comes from.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out this am for about an hour and I always use my pointer before I dig but this morning i ck'd the depth reading and the stuff that was on top of the ground read 2" like always but I had a few targets that were about 3" deep and they read 4" even after pin pointing. So even though I never paid much attention to the depth readings it is about the same as I said yesterday. I deducted the height I was swinging from the depth reading and I was darn close.

I am still getting used to my new 5x8 coil I bought from BigBoys Hobbies and it is a real coin sniffer. Because it is smaller I get more distinct rings and so much easier to pin point than with the stock coil that came with my At Pro

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne!
Got the the 5X8 yesterday buddy!
Fast shipping!
Thanks bud! I'll also try your technique for depth indication!
Thanks again for coil!
Pete

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne!
Got the the 5X8 yesterday buddy!
Fast shipping!
Thanks bud! I'll also try your technique for depth indication!
Thanks again for coil!
Pete

You are welcome, Pete, enjoy your new coil.

Wayne

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went out this am for about an hour and I always use my pointer before I dig but this morning i ck'd the depth reading and the stuff that was on top of the ground read 2" like always but I had a few targets that were about 3" deep and they read 4" even after pin pointing. So even though I never paid much attention to the depth readings it is about the same as I said yesterday. I deducted the height I was swinging from the depth reading and I was darn close.
I am still getting used to my new 5x8 coil I bought from BigBoys Hobbies and it is a real coin sniffer. Because it is smaller I get more distinct rings and so much easier to pin point than with the stock coil that came with my At Pro
I've ONLY have the "stock" coil and for me it's a "tack driver"!:thumbsup: The target is always right under the "little window on the coil". Most of the time my Pro Pointer will pick the target up (if it reads 2 inches) right where the window said it was!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep goin only gets better its hard to put the detectors down least for me always say ah mayb just one more dig lol good luck

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep goin only gets better its hard to put the detectors down least for me always say ah mayb just one more dig lol good luck
Yeah,right now there are too many activities going on,and I'm not getting as much "fishi'n time" as I'd like to!:BangHead:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a lot of guy's are going to the 5X8 coil,but I can't see how much better this could be? The 8 .5 X 11 DD coil (stock) will pin point a coin between 2 pieces of junk. I think my favorite mode is "pro zero" mode,in the ATP. I set the "iron" discrimination at 35 and let her run. After trying badpenny's cable routing,the machine is really quiet,even with the sensitivety set wide open.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same way when I first picked my pro up used it for a while then started to research the 5x8 through the manufacturer site & YouTube vids I finally found one s little cheaper from what I've seen take it from a person who uses the pro it does pinpoint a lot better depth a little off I've seen but it will help on cherry picking those parks & those corners out in the woods its a great coil by far might b y they made it stock on the atgold I'm not sure but its good should be considered

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small coil was popping coins out of the ground one after another yesterday, mostly quarters which was good but nothing old.

I was granted permission to detect a site which is hidden in the woods, as I walked down the tree covered road I was shocked when I finally got to the end of the trail and saw what looked like a coliseum in the middle of no where. I stood there in awe at the beauty of the place... the massive stone wall which encircled the place and stood the test of time of 100 years and looked like it did when it was first built. My first thought was no way, someone had to go through this place, and maybe they did, but as I started to swing I got hit after hit and was pulling coins out of the ground one after another. However, they were from 70s - 80s which are way to new for this place. This place is massive and I only did three passes which didn't even put a dent in the place so maybe once I find the correct area I'll hone in on older coins. Hell, I just want a piece of history that points back to the day this place was active.

I got my summer hunting grounds and I might not finish it by then either. I am going to put the standard coil back on since it is larger and I didn't hit any junk so I should be good with that one. I will have the smaller coil in the bag just in case I need it too. Other than coins I was digging shotgun shells (three) once I saw the numbers and heard the sound I skipped the rest when they would ring up on the VDI. I laughed as I dug two Coors big mouth caps, haven't seen them in a long time either. Again, I didn't dig anymore of them once I knew what they were ringing up at and their VDI, I called them before I dug too. Now if I can remember the sound and number for the next time I get there I should be good. I think I found heaven... this place is gorgeous and a dream come true.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread