AT PRO coils of choice

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
today I went up to a site I have permission to hunt and I took off the 5 x 8 coil I had on my machine and put the stock one back on, my thinking was I can cover a lot more ground with the stock one. What a mistake that was... if my car wasn't so far away I would have walked up and traded out the coils; the 5 x 8 discriminates a LOT better, finding more targets faster. And it weights a lot less, noticeably less. I pulled some coins but I had to work for them listening to the sound and locking on the coin sound. Not hard to do but more work than I would have liked. You guys sitting on the fence on this coil I assure you it is worth the money; you won't regret it.

It was hot, I mean really hot and I thought what an idiot I am... the wife will find the body lying in the courtyard with the metal detector in my hand so I packed it up and headed home. I really wanted to try my Pro Pointer since I got it back yesterday and it worked fine. Hopefully it will stay working. I dug about a buck in change in little over an hour... nothing old at all. Hey it is the Zumba for old guys, I had a good time but now my shoulder is killing me from swinging with that heavy coil on it. LOL!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear ya! I just got my ATP yesterday and have been out with twice. I can't believe this thing only weighs 3lbs. It's a HEAVY 3lbs. My Whites are over 4lbs and are much nicer to swing. I might have to look into one of those 5x8's if I end up keeping this machine.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
God...I want the 5x8 sooo bad, and a sniper.. selling my ace250 for one or both...know anyone interested, let me know....posting to marketplace as soon as I can (not enough posts I guess)... The house I'm hunting is rittled with litter...*sigh*

-beav3r

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5x8 is a must for trashy areas. I just switched back to the 8.5x11 at an 1890's church and I recovered more at a slightly deeper depth. Weight is definately an issue but hey cant complain when you pull silver out! I posted my finds under 1890's church if you want to look

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nirros that was my reasoning for putting the stock coil back on but it was just to heavy, I'll stick with the 5 x 8.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So is the 5X8 that much better?:dontknow: All I have used it the stock 8.5X11 coil and I think it works great! It is the first DD coil I've had,and seems to get into spots between trash better than my concentric coil ever did. I know the lighter coil will lighten up the machine some,and that would help.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya! I just got my ATP yesterday and have been out with twice. I can't believe this thing only weighs 3lbs. It's a HEAVY 3lbs. My Whites are over 4lbs and are much nicer to swing. I might have to look into one of those 5x8's if I end up keeping this machine.

Fella its a big weight difference if u slap a 5x8 coil on evens right out

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is the 5X8 that much better?:dontknow: All I have used it the stock 8.5X11 coil and I think it works great! It is the first DD coil I've had,and seems to get into spots between trash better than my concentric coil ever did. I know the lighter coil will lighten up the machine some,and that would help.

The5x8 just stays on my pro its my goto detector for the trashy parks takes weight off definitely let's u pick out which target to go for my mistake was my go to detector till the wife got a hold of it

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The5x8 just stays on my pro its my goto detector for the trashy parks takes weight off definitely let's u pick out which target to go for my mistake was my go to detector till the wife got a hold of it
I know what you are saying! LOL! My wife took over the Fisher F2,that I got first,and NOW it's HER detector! LOL!

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hunting an old school yard about the size of a football field, with very little trash, and yes the 5 x 8 is tack sharp at nailing anything. I thought the bigger stock coil would go deeper and allow me to cover more area but I spent more time finding my target and I had more noise to deal with too. But one hole had multiple coins in it and the second coin was about two inches deeper than the first. One was a quarter and the other a nickel. All the coins I dug so far are mid seventies to early eighties NOTHING old and there should be something here. I know I'll find them but I just have to keep looking for the right spot. Trust me you want that 5 x 8 on the AT Pro.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing old badpenny?....that's just terrible.... I'll take that 5x8 off ur hands :)

-beav3r

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can't have too many coils with the ATPro, the extra depth, with the stock coil makes the extra weight worthwhile to me. I wish Garrett (or someone) would make a 15 inch DD for the ATPro. I could put up with the weight, especially when wheaties start showing up.

Roy

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't part with my 5 x 8 coil; I love it.

Milspec has my custom cover in the mail, being an old military guy Van made me a one off cover that I can't wait to put on my Pro. Van sent me a photo with the military emblem on it and I will swing it proudly.

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yah, I understand completely badpenny, I think anyone and everyone who has a 5*8 LOVES them, and won't be parting w it anytime soon... ...if I do ever end up finding someone that'll trade a coil for my ace(unlikely...) ...it mist likely won't be the 5x8...probly b the supersniper... Anyways... As always...GL&HH

-beav3r

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol.....oh my 5x8 is going back on.....I just wanted that smidgen of depth for now.....there really isnt much trash ......sooo when my arm starts to fall off I will go back to it :)

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the stock coil, the 5x8 coil, and the Super Sniper. The stock coil is heavy and not very well balanced, the sniper has its uses, I just haven't used it yet, the 5x8 went on the day I got it, and has not been taken of. I love it. Better balance, less weight, and I still dig dimes all the time at 8-10 inches. What is not to like!

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Garrett Super Sniper coil for my ATP a couple years ago and for whatever reason, I've only used it for about a minute or so... I got to a park, put it on, made a few swings and thought that the area would be better hunted with the stock coil so I switched back and never put the sniper back on. I REALLY need to start using it since I hunt such trashy parks with it. I figure I haven't thought of it much since I do well with the larger coil and not too much trash that I get annoyed.

Since you mentioned the weight, I figured I'd share this with you... It's a nice harness that I just bought for my girlfriends machine and although I haven't used it yet myself, I must say that it's pretty slick and the price was right. Check it out..

The Original Detecting Buddy

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to add......this is the first time I have gone back to the stock coil since I bought the 5x8 a year ago.......they both have advantages and disadvantages.....well.....im still trying to determine the 5x8's disadvantages aside from not covering as much ground .

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just got me an at pro yesterday getting ready to go try it out

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Good luck and get to know what it is telling you....cant wait to see your finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread