Bought at pro today.

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
I have done a lot of research on different detectors and decided on the Garret At Pro. I watched several videos of people using them in real life and decided that it should work for me. I live in Hemet Ca and went to American Prospector in Temecula Ca. I met Jim and his daughter there. I asked several questions about the metal detecting in the area and they answered as best as they could. Their service was outstanding and friendly. I bought the At Pro and took it home and put it together. Now I am disabled with a bad back which started acting up so I originally thought I would not be able to go out today. I took some pain pills lay down and slept for about three hours and got up around 1530 that's 3:30 pm for you non military types. I felt better and decided I just had to get out and see what it could do. I went right into pro, ground balanced in manual which came up as an 80 and stayed that way throughout the park. I started with iron audio off and standard coin mode. I soon got a nickel/pull tab signal at 2 inches and tried to pinpoint it. I have to say it will take me a while to get the pin pointing down pat. The video Garrett puts up is a little confusing. I tried centering it in the middle but did not have much luck so ended up just using the old wiggle routine and pinpointed from the front. I finally got my white's bull's eye pin pointer to vibrate where the target was and dug up a bottle cap. I soon switched to iron audio mode and stayed that way for the rest of the hunt. Now I will say this if any of you have seen the garret video for iron discrimination it will show a bottle cap showing up around 27. I was set at 35 so should have not seen it according to the video. I found three bottle caps one in the low 50's range one I can't remember and one that range up in the low 80's. Each of these were different bottle caps so metal property's could be different. After finding a few pull tabs and penny's I notched out every thing below 80. I still had iron audio on and it chattered quite a bit. I found a few dimes and quarters and have to say they were distinct in sounding among the iron signals. I was out there for about and hour and a half then the back pain came back with a vengeance so I had to quit. Now totals for this little hunt and mind you I dug nothing that was deeper than 2 to 4 inches I found 3 quarters 3 dimes and two pennys. Most of these were on or just below the surface. I think I did ok for a first hunt with the machine, especially since I was more interested in learning the machine than finds. My first impression of the At Pro is it is a fine machine but in professional will take some time to learn properly. I have no complaints for now about the machine as it was my first hunt and any problems encountered were the result of the operator meaning me. I am looking forward to spending many hours hunting with this machine. May all your finds be interesting and your days full of joy. Happy Hunting. Ted 8-)

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ted,iron audio will be your friend,once you figure out how it sounds around bottle caps. I've had mine for 2 weeks now,and run it in "zero pro mode"
with the discrimination set around 25. The machine is a real coin hound!:thumbsup: The more you run it,the more you will like it! I've had 3 back surgerys,and can tell you that most people start out leaning over the detector. Try standing straight upright,and lengthen the lower rod out on the detector,until it is about 6" infront of your foot when you take a step. Until I got mine adjusted right (for me) my back was killing me after a hour of detecting. Now I can go for hours pain free.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic first day it sounds like. Hope your back doesn't keep ya out too long! HH!

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is awesome. Yes, the more you use it. The better it gets. Coin hog it is !!! My suggestion. Make up a test garden of various coins and objects. Pull tabs, beer caps and nails,ect. Aluminum can as well. This will speed up your education of this great machine. HH

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you find it to be more impressive than I'm finding it.

Not saying it's a bad machine, it's pretty decent so far, but I was expecting more I guess!

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT gold and I have found some beer tops the iron audio will not discriminate and some ring in around 80+, also aluminum screw caps 40 ouncers will ring up in the cent range 70+ but do remember that Gold rings,gold chain etc...start in the 40+ range so by notching out lower signals you could be leaving a gold ring behind in exchange for a quarter.My advice would be dig quite a few signals until you are real familiar with it by seeing what the signals are you will have more of an idea what they are with out digging.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(AT gold help) was a thread posted April 11th it has a listing of VDI #s and what they could be.Sorry haven't figured out how to link in that post.I am not familiar with a lot of the ways to do things on a computer.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thadious,

Sounds like you did great bud! Good job!

If that stock coil get to be to heavy, please look into the 5X8
It is so much lighter and really sifts through the junk a lot better.
May be better for you in your circumstance. I think it will.
Lots of guys run this coil 24/7 too!

Here is that list (Back-of the-Boat) mentioned. Not my list but freely
distributed among us At Pro users. It is very accurate...

By using this list, I set up my machine today to JUST hit gold/foil
and no clad (was only interested in gold today) and sure enough!
Hit a gold ring in short order! ( see my post tonight) Was great!
Hope this helps buddy!

Pete

VDI -- Item
99 -- Ike Silver Dollar, Morgan Silver Dollar
98 -- Ike Silver Dollar
97 -- Ike Silver Dollar
96 -- Morgan Silver Dollar, Walking Liberty Silver Half Dollar, Franklin Silver Half Dollar, Large Silver Ring
95 -- 4 Quarters in a stack!
94 --
93 -- Kennedy 40% Silver Half Dollar
92 -- Clad Dollar, Kennedy 40% Silver Half Dollar, Clad Half Dollar, Aluminum Token, Large Silver Ring
91 -- Barber Half Dollar
90 -- Presidential Dollar, Clad Half Dollar, Clad Quarter, Large US 1 Cent, Silver British Half Crown
89 -- Washington Silver Quarter, Clad Quarter
88 -- Standing Liberty Silver Quarter, Washington Silver Quarter, Clad Quarter, Medium Silver Ring
87 -- SBA Dollar
86 -- Spanish 2-Reale
85 -- Barber Quarter, Clad Quarter, Seated Dime, Matron Head Large Cent
84 -- Seated Dime, Matron Head Large Cent, Small Silver Ring
83 -- Mercury Silver Dime, Roosevelt Silver Dime, Clad Dime
82 -- Clad Dime, Small Silver Charm, 1 Yen Coin (JPN), Large 9K Gold Ring
81 -- Seated Dime, 10 Yen Coin (JPN), 1 Yen Coin (JPN)
80 -- Seated Dime, Copper Lincoln 1 Cent, King George Half Penny, 10 Yen Coin (JPN), 1000 Peso Coin (Mexico, 1988), 5 Gram Gold Bar, Large Plated Ring, Small Silver Ring
79 -- Seated Dime, Heavy Woman's Bracelet Watch
78 -- King George Penny, Chuck-E-Cheese Token
77 -- 1 Euro Coin (Ireland), New Zealand $2.00, Australian $1.00
76 -- Seated Liberty Half Dime, Indian Head 1 Cent, Australian $2.00, New Zealand $1.00, King George Half Penny, 5 Yen Coin (JPN), Medium Plated Ring
75 -- Bottle Cap, Spanish 1-Reale, Zinc Lincoln 1 Cent, 5 Yen Coin (JPN)
74 -- Bottle Cap, Rev War British Musket Ball, Copper Lincoln 1 Cent
73 -- Bottle Cap, Small Silver Ring
72 -- Bottle Cap
71 -- Bottle Cap, Large Tungsten Ring
70 -- Bottle Cap, Civil War Mini-Ball, Medium Charm
69 -- Civil War Mini-Ball
68 -- 22K Gold Sovereign, Civil War Mini-Ball
67 --
66 -- Pop Top, Small Charm
65 -- Large 18K Gold & Platinum Ring, 1 Gram Gold Bar
64 --
63 -- Small Silver Earring
62 --
61 -- Indian Head 1 Cent
60 -- Medium 9K Gold Ring
59 --
58 --
57 -- Large 14K Gold Ring
56 --
55 -- Mens Titanium Ring
54 -- Small 14K Gold Ring
53 -- Pull Tab, Buffalo Nickel, V Nickel, War Nickel, New Nickel, Small Charm, Large 14K White Gold Ring, Medium 14K Gold Ring
52 -- Pull Tab, Buffalo Nickel, V Nickel, War Nickel, New Nickel, Small Charm
51 -- 100 Yen Coin (JPN)
50 -- 3 Cent Piece, 14K Gold Chain, 100 Yen Coin (JPN), 50 Yen Coin (JPN), 2 Peso Gold Coin, Small 10K Gold Ring, Small 9K Gold Ring
49 -- 3 Cent Piece, 14K Gold Chain, 50 Yen Coin (JPN)
48 -- $1 Gold Coin (13mm), 14K Gold Chain, 14K Yellow & White Gold Ring
47 -- Large Junk Earring
46 --
45 -- Foil, Small 14K Gold Ring
44 -- Foil, Small Platinum Engagement Ring
43 -- Foil, Small 10K Gold Ring, 14K bracelet
42 -- Foil, Small 10K Gold Ring
41 -- Foil
40 -- Foil,14K Hollow Earring (1.3g)
39 -- Foil
38 -- Foil
37 -- Foil
36 -- Foil
35 -- Foil, Nail
34 --
33 --
32 --
31 --
30 --
29 --
28 --
27 --
26 --
25 --
24 --
23 --
22 --
21 --
20 --
19 --
18 --
17 --
16 --
15 -- Washer
14 --
13 --
12 --
11 --
10 --
9 --
8 --
7 --
6 --
5 --
4 --
3 --
2 --
1 --

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
thanks knight I think this will help a lot. HH Ted

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Team buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread