Pro Pointer question...

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to send my Garrett Pro Pointer back twice because it would continuously beep at nothing, I could hold it straight up in the air and it would beep, I had it out today and for the most part it worked pretty good. However, a few times it started beeping like a dying puppy while it sat on the ground and I attempted to put it back in the hole. I don't remember it doing this when I first got it, but then I am old and I really don't remember. The only way I can get it to work after it does this death rattle is turn it off and on and then it is good to go. You guys that have one of these does yours do this? I took the battery cover off and placed a piece of Velcro in the cap ( I had a round sticky piece and thought I would try that to tighten up the battery. I can live with this if this is the way they are but it they aren't I would like this one repaired or replaced. Thanks!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
A few times I had to reset (off and on) to clear it. Heck, I have to reboot my PC every once in a while!
killingme.gif

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had no such problems with mine, despite being dropped on the pavement a few times. If you are hunting in heavily mineralized ground, this may be the reason why it is acting that way. It is a very sensitive instrument, it will detect the silver fillings in my teeth just by holding it to the side of my face!. My description of the Pro Pointer would be "rugged and reliable".

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered one of garretts pro pointers.. I have a garrett AT pro ... guess this now makes me a garrett man. From what I have read here on the forums, Garrett is number one on customer service, hope they send you a replacement. Have you contacted their Customer Service yet ?

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya no issues with mine either in pretty rough with mine but couple people made me alittle nervous i didn't want to be without 1 just incase I had to send in for repair so bought a sunray dx-1 for detector all bases covered

Old as Dirt

May 19, 2013
Crest Hill, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 & Garrett Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While hunting with my daughter one day, my Garrett Pro Pointer started beeping constantly. I'd put it in the hole and it would stop, then my daughter would grab some dirt out of the hole and it would start beeping again. So I handed her the pointer and I started pulling dirt out. After 10 minutes of this, we both looked at each other, in wonder, why there was nothing in the hole, but it would beep when our hands, were inside. Well........she was wearing a bracelet, and I had my wedding rings on !!! We couldn't believe it!! She's been detecting for many years, and we just layed on the ground and laughed. Daaahhh!! So....now I leave all jewelry at home. The bad thing about it, is, I can't leave my two Titanium Knee replacements at home!! LOL......The Pro will go off if I put it near my knees. LOL.....

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, no jewlery on me, no cell phone etc. I Can live with it for now.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have to do that everytime you stick it in the hole, that's the problem. And that was what I had to do the last time it went in. Now just to be clear it is working right now and only required one or two resets yesterday and I can live with that. I did place a piece of Velcro under the cap, someone said they place a quarter in the cap and that solved the problem. Someone else said they wrap the battery in Velcro so the battery doesn't move. I shook mine and nothing rattles so I assume the battery is tight but I thought I'll give it a try.

Bottom line I wouldn't hunt without the Pro Pointer if I didn't have too. And to repeat it is working and hopefully it won't act up like it did before either. I was just checking if mine is the norm or am I missing something.

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have to do that everytime you stick it in the hole, that's the problem. And that was what I had to do the last time it went in. Now just to be clear it is working right now and only required one or two resets yesterday and I can live with that. I did place a piece of Velcro under the cap, someone said they place a quarter in the cap and that solved the problem. Someone else said they wrap the battery in Velcro so the battery doesn't move. I shook mine and nothing rattles so I assume the battery is tight but I thought I'll give it a try.

Bottom line I wouldn't hunt without the Pro Pointer if I didn't have too. And to repeat it is working and hopefully it won't act up like it did before either. I was just checking if mine is the norm or am I missing something.
badpenny,mine did that the other day,and I thought "oh no" here we go! Then I noticed I was getting a lot of EMI on the ATP,and looked up and I was right under some powerlines. I moved over to another location and it went away. The pro Pointer also returned to normal operation. I don't know if the EMI effects the Pro Pointers or not but it operated as it should the rest of the hunt?:dontknow:

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine did this too... Changed the battery...ended up fixing 75% of the problem... Took the cap off with the battery still sitting in it and wobbled it a little and saw that (while the pp was pointing straight down) it(the battery) had some wiggle room... So, I put ducttape around JUST the sides of the battery and snugly put it in... Then I put a piece on the butt of it so that when the cap was put on it had no vertical movement... Since doing this, its worked flawlessly...this may not help you, but I suggest everyone w propointer problems to try it...if it doesn't work, well, garretts customer service is second to NONE... I have never read one bad thing bout them... And that is y I'm a Garrett fanboy...

GL&HH

-beav3r

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine went ape today! I got the 2 tones indicating the battery was low. So I changed it out for a new one,then about 20 minutes later it started sounding like a ambulance siren high low sounds. I shoved a quarter behind the battery,and all is well now!:dontknow: I wonder if the little prongs on the pin pointer get weak after a while,then don't make good contact?

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine also does this occasionally, it will just start beeping at nothing..
I turn it off and back on again and she's good to go. I always just assumed it was some sort of EMI?

Other than that it works beautifully:dontknow:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only problem I've had with mine is that I keep covering up the speaker with my hand & not relizing it.:BangHead:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just checked the 9V battrery and it reads 8.04V? I don't know how low they have to get, before the Pro Pointer quits working right?

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great ? I will ask Garrett tomorrow when i call them to inquire about another battery question I have regarding my at pro.. I think I read somewhere (dont quote me plz) that, on the ace series...4 batteries = 6v~ ...when it drops to 3 volts it will have 1 bar left and should he changed....I realize that this is world's apart from the pp, but, we will find out tomorrow!

-beav3r

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run my battery to almost dead dead before it gave the "death rattle" . One bit of advice is use good batteries.. this my sound like a sales pitch but you cant beat energizer ultimates for the atpro. Lightweight and last a looooong time. I tried cheap brands for propointer but they ran dead in an hour or acted erratic like yours does. Energizer is all I put in it now.

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, maybe I can get out for an hour or two today or tomorrow. I can hope, right?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure and stay away from Duracells in the pro-pointer, they are a little bit shorter than energizers. The high low tone is a low voltage indicator. Mine also chirps and chatters when the battery first starts to get low, turning it off and on resets it. After one or two more hunts, the battery is replaced.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread