Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

gwhamil

May 27, 2013
I have a GTI 1500. It really great for coins shooting. My favorite feature is the imaging. It will classify a target in one of five different categories A - smaller than a coin, B - Coin size, C - Larger than a coin but smaller than a tin can, D - tin can size, and E - larger than a tin can. If you are in a park mainly looking for coins and you find a target that has the conductivity of a quarter, and imaging is size B (coin size), its almost always a quarter. If it rings up size A, or size C or larger, you can decide if you want to dig it or not, but its probably not a coin. I have been wondering why none of the newer machines have imaging. The GTI 1500 is my first real metal detector (I don't count the radio shack one I had as a kid :)) and I have really liked it. That said, I have always wanted try a whites machine. I have heard a lot of great things about them. Are you interested in some sort of trade for the 1500? I have the GTI 1500 with both of the imaging coils that Garrett makes. I think its a 9 1/2" and a 12" or something like that. There are also other coils you can get for it like a scorcher or DD coils, but they don't support imaging. Let me know of any specific questions you might have and I will try to answer. Thanks, Gwhamil

OP
OP
Stormrider51

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I was doing some reading about the GTI when your reply came in. The White's DFX works a little differently than the GTI in terms of how it displays target information. It's also different in that it operates on two frequencies at the same time where the GTI only has one. The DFX gives a tone, a VDI number, a graph, and an icon showing what it thinks is under the coil. A list of VDI numbers is conveniently printed on the top of the control box for quick reference. The icons are interesting. For instance, it can show a ring/pulltab or pulltab/ring. The one it displays first is the one it thinks most likely to be the target. What's surprising is how often it is correct. Of course, it will also show icons for penny/dime, quarter, and so on. I'm hearing impaired so I rely less on tones than most do. But if I get a solid tone from multiple directions paired with a VDI number indicating a coin, an icon that agrees, and a solid bar on the graph I can be pretty sure of what's down there. Digging "iffy" targets is optional depending on how much time I have to hunt and where I'm hunting.

Storm

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I was doing some reading about the GTI when your reply came in. The White's DFX works a little differently than the GTI in terms of how it displays target information. It's also different in that it operates on two frequencies at the same time where the GTI only has one. The DFX gives a tone, a VDI number, a graph, and an icon showing what it thinks is under the coil. A list of VDI numbers is conveniently printed on the top of the control box for quick reference. The icons are interesting. For instance, it can show a ring/pulltab or pulltab/ring. The one it displays first is the one it thinks most likely to be the target. What's surprising is how often it is correct. Of course, it will also show icons for penny/dime, quarter, and so on. I'm hearing impaired so I rely less on tones than most do. But if I get a solid tone from multiple directions paired with a VDI number indicating a coin, an icon that agrees, and a solid bar on the graph I can be pretty sure of what's down there. Digging "iffy" targets is optional depending on how much time I have to hunt and where I'm hunting.

Storm

Storm if ur looking for a gti series i to havent seem much talk about them on this Forum but anyways there are some really great deals on eBay for the 2500 ive seen them with some extras in the range of I believe $500 that área & for that price im also mayb thinkin on adding one to the arsenal wall if u do get one let us know how it works mayb compare it to a dfx or so ill do the same if I go ahead & pull that trigger on one HH

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a GTI 2500, It is a fine machine.
Mine is 10 years old, and I wouldn't think of getting rid of it. It's strong point is its ability to let you know the size of what is below.
I have dug many targets that were shown to be a little larger than a coin, and they always were.
It is easy on batteries and comfortable to swing. I don't abuse it, but I don't baby it either.

I am constantly looking for a newer machine to take its place (10 year old technology), but I haven't found one yet.

I would think an ad in the classified section stating you are looking for one, might give results.

Go for one, you'll like it.

Roy

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, there are some for sale on ebay almost every week, and often at good prices. Just note that they have been making the 2500 for about 12 years, so some of the used ones for sale are a bit old. A buddy of mine got one for $500, but it was erratic and he sent it to Garrett and they replaced a defective coil and checked over the machine for $100. Still not a bad price for that machine, which he loves for coin shooting. The white coils are on the older ones, the newer ones have black coils.

OP
OP
Stormrider51

Stormrider51

Jul 21, 2010
Canyon Lake, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another way to get a date of manufacture on a Garrett machine is the serial number. Drop the first digit. The next two are the year it was made and the two digits following that are the week of that year. So if we have a serial number of 51103XXXXXXX we ignore everything but the 1103. The machine was made in the third week of 2011 or January, 2011.

Storm

Roscue2

Greenie
Dec 19, 2012
Central Valley of CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Ace 250, Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Garrett has discontinued the GTP 1350 and the GTI 1500 in the last year or so, but the GTI 2500 is still in production. The GTI series has been around since 1997 I believe, so it would seem that Garrett is planning a new md hopefully in the near future. And they do go for good prices on Ebay, with new ones showing up every day or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread