What detectors are comparable to an AT Pro?

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To be honest,I could run the ATP in "Pro Zero" mode,and not have another program in the machine and be happy. It just gives out so much information,once you learn what it is saying. The pro coin mode is great for coinshooting,but after you get the hang of the Pro Zero mode,you realize you don't need much of anything else to hunt whatever you want.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RKS,
Do you have a close up of that stand on your machine? I want to make something for mine too!

But, I sold a Vaquero to get the At Pro and SOOO glad I did. I mean the Vaquero is a mean little machine but I have to
honestly say I do like the bells and whistles and VDI on the Pro.
It really is an all terrain machine and liking it more and more! Found a nice gold ring the other day too but any machine
would have found it if your coil went over it...

At first I was drooling over the Etrac but didnt want to wait and save for it but then saw the vids
on the Pro and I was dumfounded on how they both acted very much alike! With the different
tones and all, it really does a great job!

And with the customer satisfaction they provide I don't think you could ever go wrong at this price range...

Pete

To be honest,I could run the ATP in "Pro Zero" mode,and not have another program in the machine and be happy. It just gives out so much information,once you learn what it is saying. The pro coin mode is great for coinshooting,but after you get the hang of the Pro Zero mode,you realize you don't need much of anything else to hunt whatever you want.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RKS,
Do you have a close up of that stand on your machine? I want to make something for mine too!

But, I sold a Vaquero to get the At Pro and SOOO glad I did. I mean the Vaquero is a mean little machine but I have to
honestly say I do like the bells and whistles and VDI on the Pro.
It really is an all terrain machine and liking it more and more! Found a nice gold ring the other day too but any machine
would have found it if your coil went over it...

At first I was drooling over the Etrac but didnt want to wait and save for it but then saw the vids
on the Pro and I was dumfounded on how they both acted very much alike! With the different
tones and all, it really does a great job!

And with the customer satisfaction they provide I don't think you could ever go wrong at this price range...

Pete
Pete,here's a link to the stand,it's got a better picture of it,than I could make. I thought about building one,but after pricing a cutting board at Wal Mart,then the nylon screws,it was cheaper to just order one! http://www.andersondetectorshafts.com/products/accessories/ I also got the 5X8 DD coil installed,and moved the Pro Pointer to the rear section of the machine under the arm cuff. Talk about a different feeling swinging it this way!:thumbsup: It is a lot more balanced with this arrangement!
00213_zpsad9dfa15.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
00113_zps1a4223fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• 001 (13).JPG
    001 (13).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! But does stay secure or is it loose? I like it.
I have the 5X8 also, love it!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rks1949, more pics of the Pro Pointer set up if you could please. That looks like something I might try. In an effort to better balance my ATP, I played with some stick on wheel weights w/stock coil. 12oz felt real good mounted under the arm cuff. Now that I have the 5x8 the balance is much improved (Not quite Whites good) but I still like the idea of using the PP as a counter balancer.

Sounds like you have figured out your machine. When you get to the point where you tell it what's under the coil, not the other way around....you have mastered it. Good work!:hello2:
That's exactly how it was today. I dug several bottle caps (on purpose) & I called em all except 1. The one I got fooled on was a small, flattened out aluminum type. Once one becomes familiar with the Tone Roll audio, the caps become WAY less tricky. Wouldn't say mastered yet, but hella more confident in what I'm diggin!

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RKS I like the way you have your AT set up with the stand and the pinpointer holder.

Does it help balance the machine better with the stock coil?

Nirros

Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a difference a day makes. Not that I found a bunch of great things although I did pocket an old gold plated mens ring and a 1919s Wheat today. But the machine and I have come to an understanding. I stop b!tching about it's perceived (to me) short comings and it shows me the brilliance of Pro Zero w/zero iron disc.
I have changed my mind about this machine. While I don't think it's the second coming or the greatest thing since sliced bread or the best tector money can buy, I would probably now recommend it to anyone that wants/needs an all around highly versatile machine thats easy to use.

Told ya so fella ;)

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my AT Pro for about 4 months now and I find it very versatile and easy to use. I love it and don't see a need for anything else, given the types of hunting I engage in. I like to use the smaller double D coil. I like the waterproof features; I can use it in the rain and in streams around here without worry. It is very helpful in Pro mode with iron audio once you get used to it. When I first started it up I had info and sound overload, and I wasn't sure it was working properly, but I just had to get used to it. Now that I've logged about 120 hours on this thing, I love it. I can tell what kind of coin is under it, and what kind of pulltab usually as well. :) It finds all sorts of relics, picks stuff out of trashy environments well, and seems to really take a beating.

Ok, some cons, or what might be cons for certain users:
I will say, I've noticed that some folks have trouble hearing the tone roll audio when it's very subtle. My hubby is slightly hard of hearing and he cannot seem to hear the range of those low tones sometimes. I've heard people say they can't figure out how not to dig bottle caps with this machine and have wondered if they had similar issues and didn't even know it. Sometimes it is a very subtle change.
Also, I will note that I am only 5 feet tall. My hubby also hates the headphones that came with the AT Pro as they don't work as well for someone 6 foot tall or over. The cord is too short and he gets hung up. The other complaint many have is that the optional waterproof headphones are uncomfortable and don't have a volume control. I see now that there are a pair of amphibious headphones with volume control made especially for the AT Pro by a popular manufacturer of detector headphones, but they are pricey. Finally, I prefer the smaller Double D coil as the machine to me is heavy and not balanced well with the stock coil. If you are used to a well balanced detector, you may not like the nose heavy feel. I think I find a lot with the smaller coil, but sometimes I wonder if I sacrifice any depth or other functionality. But the stock coil starts to make my arm hurt.
That being said, I would still buy this detector again in a heartbeat and it was worth every penny to me!

OP
OP
E

ENTHUSIAST

May 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
Looking for my 1st detector!!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a difference a day makes. Not that I found a bunch of great things although I did pocket an old gold plated mens ring and a 1919s Wheat today. But the machine and I have come to an understanding. I stop b!tching about it's perceived (to me) short comings and it shows me the brilliance of Pro Zero w/zero iron disc.
I have changed my mind about this machine. While I don't think it's the second coming or the greatest thing since sliced bread or the best tector money can buy, I would probably now recommend it to anyone that wants/needs an all around highly versatile machine thats easy to use.

^^^ Nice to hear some praise after the so-so review fella I am really excited about getting the AT Pro watched a TON of videos and I think she is the one for me!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RKS I like the way you have your AT set up with the stand and the pinpointer holder.

Does it help balance the machine better with the stock coil?
I a word,YES! It makes all the difference in the world!:thumbsup:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rks1949, more pics of the Pro Pointer set up if you could please. That looks like something I might try. In an effort to better balance my ATP, I played with some stick on wheel weights w/stock coil. 12oz felt real good mounted under the arm cuff. Now that I have the 5x8 the balance is much improved (Not quite Whites good) but I still like the idea of using the PP as a counter balancer.

That's exactly how it was today. I dug several bottle caps (on purpose) & I called em all except 1. The one I got fooled on was a small, flattened out aluminum type. Once one becomes familiar with the Tone Roll audio, the caps become WAY less tricky. Wouldn't say mastered yet, but hella more confident in what I'm diggin!

I got the Pro Pointer "holder" from a member on another forum. I think he still makes them for around 16.00 including shipping. It's a rifle scope ring with a flat plate attached to it,then a couple of nylon clamps (what they are originally for I don't know:dontknow:) but he adds two pieces of rubber inserts inside the ring to hold,and keep it from scratching the tube. It really grips the Pro Pointer well,and it won't fall out..
00114_zps2d5b96d2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
00214_zps21093d12.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
0039_zpscc24d4c2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Sorry about the dirt! I just came in from a hunt!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! But does stay secure or is it loose? I like it.
I have the 5X8 also, love it!
It's not going anywhere! It holds the Pro Pointer really well,infact,you have to push the front of the PP forward into the front clamp first,then use leverage to press the rear section down into the second clamp. It is extremely secure. I can't think of using my MD without it now. The guy that makes them should put a patent on them. It is one of the most useful add ons,you could ever add to your machine!:thumbsup: Another plus is when you put your PP back into the holder,if you forget that it's still on,it will beep,letting you know it's still turned on, since the metal is close to it! PS. The stand is a killer too. It can go from one MD to another in seconds!

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the very helpful discussion of the AT Pro.........I may well buy one now.....

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
rks,
Thanks for posting those pics. That is a pretty slick setup. I like!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Enthusiast, It's a lot like Fords and Chevys, some love them and others hate them. The At Pro has been our top selling unit this year, and we have lots of happy customers (and myself) using them. Any detector you buy will have a learning curve, and you will have to invest 30-100 hours to get a real understanding on what it is telling you. After awhile, you can distinguish silver and clad by ID numbers / tell bottle caps from coins / recognize soda cans from coins . The AT Series is easy to use, has advanced features, ground balance capabilities, and loves jewelry.

Call us if we can answer your questions. We love to talk detecting!

Wayne
(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old saying is that one detector cant do it all...the AT PRO comes as close to doing it all as any detector made...it lives up to its All Terrain name.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions