AT PRO at beach first time

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
I went to a beach yesterday in Ocean Beach Ca. Ground Balanced at 94 in dry sand. Kept audio on and was in Pro zero mode. Very little chatter found a zipper a few bottle caps and two quarters and a dime. One of the qtrs was between two pieces of iron but still had that high tone in between. When I got at the edge of the towel line I started hitting black sand an the machine Went crazy. I tried ground balance again it would quite down a few steps and then Went crazy again. I moved on to the wet sand an ground balance settled in at 91. I did not Find anything in the wet sand but did not hunt there Long because kept hitting patches of black sand. Over all thought the Pro did ok. Black sand can give any detector problems. I did not bring my soveriegn this trip but will Next time I go to this beach to see if it can handle the black sand there.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Just keep plugging away (pun intended) and a ring will soon appear.

medusa.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes your Sov will be better at the saltwater beach than the AT PRO because it runs on more frequencies than One. But the AT PRO is lots lighter than the Sovereign.

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the ATP. I'd love to know your honest assessment of its capabilities over your much less expensive 250 after you have had time to learn it.

Hey John-Edmonton, that ring is creepy and cool at the same time. It gives me the heebie-jeebies just looking at it.

OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Yes Sandman you are right on both accounts. I would normaly hunt the beachs especialy wet sand with the sovereign. I have only had the atpro for about a week and am trying to get a feel for it in all enviroments. To be Fair to the pro this was the first time I ever hunted this beach and was surprized at the amount of black sand as nearby beachs do not have very much if any.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time I used mine at the beach I was a little dissapointed but now it's a
piece of cake. Yeh it gets chattery moving from different locations on the beach
but I just manually GB right along while I'm walking and don't even miss a beat, its so easy to do...
It's a nice machine all around...

Pete

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Sandman you are right on both accounts. I would normaly hunt the beachs especialy wet sand with the sovereign. I have only had the atpro for about a week and am trying to get a feel for it in all enviroments. To be Fair to the pro this was the first time I ever hunted this beach and was surprized at the amount of black sand as nearby beachs do not have very much if any.

Why did you switch from the Sov, was it to hunt in the deep water?

Sov is the king of the salt water beach up to mid calf, although not waterproof nothing can beat it till you go pass knee deep and only gets beat then because it isn't' waterproof.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got my AT Pro recently also, and today I decided to go to a local popular lake beach to test the detector. Because its still cold, it was empty. I found 7 pennies and 1 dime (1965, story of my life). I noticed my usual penny numbers were lower in the sand. (Usually 81 in dirt, anywhere from 70-80 in sand) no rings, but I dug the clear medium signals, oh well. Overall, I was happy just finding anything, as I tried the sand when I had my F2 and it was pointless. I guess more practice will help. I have to test out and see what rings will come up as for numbers. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Treasure Hunter I did not switch I was just trying out the at pro at the beach. I have no plans of changing from the sovereign at the beachs. I love my sovereign in the wet sand. I know it's sounds and have had some nice finds with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread