So how deep does the 5 x 8 go? Well yesterday

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed a fix so I took the AT PRO out into the yard, the yard I worked a million times but this time with the smaller coil on it and right off my porch in an area no bigger than 5' x 10' I found one Silver quarter and it was down a good eight inches, and sitting about two inches away from it was a nickel. The Quarter is 1954 but I can't read the date on the nickel. About two feet from that target I had one of those hits that was should I dig or not but it was locked on pretty good to something and I would see a number then it would go away so I knew it was deep and I dug. Well about ten inches down I pulled out a brass dog license from Luzerne county dated 1950 with the number still on it. First, let me say that must have been one hell of a dog for someone to waste money on a license in the fifties, especially where I live. LOL!. In that same area I pulled out a charm that is half of one of those best friend necklaces that the kids wore back in the sixties, and that too was down deep, easy eight inches. Add a couple pennies which were about six inches down and the coil was hitting them pretty deep.

My neighbor saw me in the yard and asked me to come up to his place and see what I can find, he loves how I dig the holes and cover them up; you never even know I was there. Anyway right off the bat I hit a nickel about six inches down. Then nothing for the longest time. Then a strong beep and digging the hole I pulled out an old toy truck down about four inches. One more hit and we left the hole open because I can see the target but I can't get it out, it looks like a lid off an old coal stove, and it is down a good foot.

The soil I was detecting was clay, bone dry clay. I was very surprised on all the targets how deep they were, the Pro Pointed didn't even begin to beep until I removed the plug and a few inches of dirt too. And on the pro pointer I took the cap off and I had a piece of round Velcro the receiving end of a set, and I placed the sticky part of the piece on the inside of the cap and tightened it down, no more grunts or beeps in the air all night from the Pro Pointer, I was thrilled.

On average most targets I dug yesterday were around eight to nine inches with no problem and very clear signals.

Last edited:

JRMan

Mar 20, 2013
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer,
White's Coinmaster 6000/Di Professional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered my 5 x 8 today. Can't wait to hit a few of those really trashy areas again.. :)

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I think that the design of the blunted toe and heel somehow extends it's ability for greater depth. A Garrett exclusive!

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, I have to tell you even I was surprised at how deep I was digging. And like you the deeper I dig the greater the smile on my face; I know it should be something special.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got to try out my 5X8 DD coil today. We had a rain last night so I went back to the lot I had hunted a few days ago and found the mercury dime,and wheat pennys in (my first silver coin). I found lots of clad Linclon pennys,one wheat at 7 inches then I got a hit at ?:dontknow:! There were no numbers or VDI but the signal sounded strong and like a dime tone,so I dug it! I got to 6 inches deep and the pro pointer wouldn't pick anything up,but the ATP said it was straight down the hole,so I kept digging,at 12 inches,(yeah 1 foot) I found the target,a cast toy soldier from the 30's a Manoil M10 Second edition officers model!:thumbsup:
0046_zpsd4447b0a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]. So it appears in the right conditions the 5 X 8 will get some depth,after all.:laughing7: Here's what he looked like when he was new. http://toysoldierwiki.com/index.php/M10_10_Officer,_second_version

Last edited:
OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is cool. I guess you like that coil? It swings very nice on the Pro doesn't it.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is cool. I guess you like that coil? It swings very nice on the Pro doesn't it.
Yes it does,badpenny!:thumbsup: The machine feels more balanced now. I didn't know what a difference it made,since I had never had anything but the 8.5 X11 DD coil on it. It's gonna be hard to take the 5X8 off now!:laughing7: I don't think the depth loss,if there is really any is enough to worry about. It sure can get into the tight spots now!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, you won't regret the purchase, mine isn't coming off; I love it.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had mine for about 3 weeks, and I don't think you lose much, dimes at 8-10 in. quite often. Over 60 assorted clad coins, and a silver ring yesterday, at a pretty trashy old park yesterday. I have a super sniper coil that has not been used, and not sure when it will. This is my first detector, so I cant compare it to anything, but I have about 150 hours on the AT Pro and it is an awesome setup for my everyday needs.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frank, you won't regret the purchase, mine isn't coming off; I love it.
+1. I've only had mine on two days and it changes the the whole machine. It's not coming off.

Why doesn't Garrett offer this coil as a stock option? "Get Your AT Pro With Either The Way Too Nose Heavy 8.5x11 Or The Magic 5x7 Coil" Maybe I should wright ads for Garrett!

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All hail the 5x8:notworthy:
None of you who are deciding to make the purchase will regret it for a second.

HH folks!

OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year it did come with the AT PRO with the Spring Special. That was a deal for those that snapped it up. And Garrett should make it the standard coil and offer the other one as an add on.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only thing I've noticed is I have to watch my "swing speed" with the 5X8 on! I tend to walk the same speed,and swing the 5X8 faster to get the same "over lap" as I did with the 8.5X11 coil. It does slow your hunting down (not a bad thing) though. Kinda like switching from a 6 inch paint brush,to a 2 inch paint brush,while painting a 60 foot fence!:laughing7: One of the biggest changes in my ATP was to mount the Pro Pointer on it at the rear. It made a huge difference,even when using the 8.5 X11 DD coil on the ATP. If I hunt a large open area,that hasen't got a lot of trash on it,I most likely will be swinging the 8.5 X 11 DD coil. Both coils work well,and both have their uses. It's just like playing golf. You want the right club for the shot being taken. Just think of your 8.5 X 11 coil as your driver,and your 5X8 coil as your putter!:thumbsup: Or think of it as the using the "right tool" for the job at hand. I mentioned the pro pointer on the rear section of the Md. I tried it out last evening,and found mounting it "under" the arm cuff,kinda "unhandy"!:unhappysmiley: So I moved it to the left side of the cuff,and it is so much better,I can't believe it!:thumbsup: It doesn't throw the balance off any (as I kinda thought it would),and is so easy to get to now. This kills two birds with one stone. It helps the balance of the ATP greatly with either coil on it,and two,it gives you easy access,and storage for the PP.
102_2111_zps15d11d86.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
badpenny

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going slow isn't a bad thing. But like you I thought I would put the large coil back on to do a large area I am detecting and I hated it, it came off as soon as I got home.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going slow isn't a bad thing. But like you I thought I would put the large coil back on to do a large area I am detecting and I hated it, it came off as soon as I got home.
badpenny,try mounting your PP on the rear of the ATP! It makes all the difference in the world,with either coil. It feels like a different machine!:thumbsup:

GRiley

Apr 15, 2013
North Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000/DI Series 3
Whites 6000/DI Pro SL
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only fault I can find in it's depth is that I live in Indiana and every time an Ocean Liner passes under it I have to wait because my detector is going crazy.......GRiley :occasion14:

Last edited:

brewern

Mar 30, 2013
Ok y'all have convinced me! Ordering the coil now, sooner rather than later.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been consistently digging coins (and trash) down to 8-9 inches,and some even deeper. The "High Tones" without any VDI readings,or depth indication,are really deep!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions