Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I got my 8x5 in today, after I was out detecting this morning. Well, I couldn't wait to test it out, so we went out tonight and gave it a try.

First off, this thing feels much lighter, a night and day difference. Sure, the covered area is smaller, but there is better separation on targets, so those are both worth it in my book. I wasn't expecting it to look so much smaller, but don't let this fool you, it performed like a larger one.

As for depth, I ended up digging a beaver tail at about a foot depth, with damp soil. It rained a couple nights ago. My jaw dropped, I wasn't expecting a decent signal that deep!

So I know that need more days working with it to give a decent review, but my first impressions are just what everyone told me they would be. I might just never take this one off, I love it so far! I'll give updates as time goes by, but so far, it was worth every penny.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really like the 5x8 too. The only thing i still have to verify is how it reads bottle caps vs the stock. I just need more time swinging it. I really can't give it any bad reviews otherwise

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
The best part of mine is it is light and easy to move around.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 3 coils for my AT Pro, 8x5 has not come off, since I got it about a month ago! Light, better balance, and still great depth( dimes at 8-10 inches all the time) It should be the stock coil for all their units

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the stock coil,and the 5X8 coil. I like the 5X8 coil because of the balance it gives the ATP. I also like the 8.5X11 coil though. It really depends on the area you are hunting. A large football field,with little trash will be a long day using the smaller coil,you would be better off using the 8,5X11 coil,but if it's a smaller area,or a area really loaded up with trash,then the 5X8 coil would be the weapon of choice. I've noticed that a lot of guy's are really happy with the 5X8 coil,and say they will never take it off,but I don't hear about any of them putting their 8.5X11 DD coils up for sale!:laughing7: The real trick is to mount your pro pointer under,or by the rear arm cuff,if you are using one!:thumbsup: The weight offsets the heavy feeling of the larger coils,and really shines when you go to the smaller coils. The ATP feels like a different machine. Another real nice accessory is the stands for the MD. They are light,lift the MD higher off the ground,plus they stop it from falling over on it's side,and it adds a little more weight to the rear (not a bad thing on the ATP).Once you do this,you won't care about what coil is on the ATP,and it will feel balanced,and be a joy to swing!

Attachments

• 102_2111.JPG
    102_2111.JPG
    1,018 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw those mods on another post that you commented on. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the stand, it seems like an awesome addition ask noticed last night that my detector keeps tipping over. Thanks!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw those mods on another post that you commented on. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order the stand, it seems like an awesome addition ask noticed last night that my detector keeps tipping over. Thanks!
Yup,the stand is handy as a pocket on a shirt!:laughing7: You can remove it and use it on another machine in seconds,it's a very nice addition to any MD.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad said he can make a stand out of some scrap wood,we'll see what comes out of it.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 5x8 mostly. The only exceptions are if I want a little more depth or I'm working large clean areas.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still not hooked on the 8x5 ...I'd rather invest in a good sand scoop...Sorry....

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing I was thinking! Just last night, glued two pieces of 3ply together.
Pretty rigid. After sanding even, I'm thinking of spraying with Dip-It or truck bed liner spray.
Only problem is figuring how to mount it to the shaft but I'll come up with something!

Pete

My dad said he can make a stand out of some scrap wood,we'll see what comes out of it.

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 85

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I LIKE THE 5x8 COIL,but not for hunting large open areas! The 8.5 X 11 is a lot better coil for big areas. I don't notice a lot of loss in depth either,with the 5X8 coil,just a lot more "swingi'n" to cover the same amount of turf. They both have their places,depending on where you use them.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still not hooked on the 8x5 ...I'd rather invest in a good sand scoop...Sorry....

Wow I think u may b the only one not liking it in time my friend in time

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same thing I was thinking! Just last night, glued two pieces of 3ply together.
Pretty rigid. After sanding even, I'm thinking of spraying with Dip-It or truck bed liner spray.
Only problem is figuring how to mount it to the shaft but I'll come up with something!

Pete
It's looking good Pete! The orginal uses two nylon bolts/screws to hold it in place. Just carefully drill two holes,then tap them for the nylon bolts. Should work great!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will really like the stand! I don't know why the manufactors don't offer one for,or with their detectors?

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so skinny I can't drill it. It's wood also so would be hard to tap.
I need to glue something to the sides
some way.
Workin on it, I'll post finished product
when complete.

Pete

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about some strong adhesive and Velcro?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strong adhesive, yeh' Going to Home Depot later, will look around..

Ive had really good luck & very strong bonds on projects with locktight glue,3m glue,& gorilla glue definetly look for an outdoor glue with waterproof capabilities good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread