Finally figured out the AT Pro on the beach

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I've had my AT Pro for a while now, but haven't been using it much because it didn't seem to be working correctly.

Every time I'd swing it, I'd get a tone at the end of each swing, lots of chatter in between, and lots of false signals.

I was thinking I might have to send it back to the factory for repairs.

But then, after reading many of the posts here, and viewing the A T Pro videos that Garrett has on YouTube, I decided to test a few things.

First thing I did was check the coil connection on the back of the control head. Sure enough, it wasn't fully screwed in. So I completely unscrewed it, put some lithium grease on the threads and screwed it back on. Then I finger tightened it until no threads were showing and it wouldn't tighten any more.

I did the same thing with the headphone connection.

Then I went outside and held down the mode key for ten seconds until I heard the double beeps indicating a full reset to factory default settings.

Then I went to the beach where I had all the falsing problems, and did full ground balance and then turned the sensitivity down one notch.

What a difference that made. Now my AT Pro is very stable, doesn't have the false beeps at the end of each swing, and has much less chatter - even over the water.

Going over areas I had already detected, I started finding coins (10 inches deep), and other items that I hadn't found before.

All I can say is if your AT Pro doesn't seem to be working correctly, check the coil and headphone connections, learn to ground balance correctly, and don't be afraid to drop the sensitivity a notch or two.

Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum, my AT Pro is now a great beach machine.

Bill

Atomic Ed

Jun 2, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
At Pro, ACE 350 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing that info. I just got my AT Pro the other day and have not yet had a chance to try it out. Bu on my Ace 350, I get false signals whenever I swing it too fast at the end of the swing as well like you mentioned but nothing is loose on that. I am thinking it may just be how the 350 works...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT PRO is not a great beach machine because it only transmits on one frequency. Due to different amounts of salt concentrations and black sand you will get falsing on the wet sand or near the water at most saltwater beaches. It is however nice in the dry sand or on land. A far better choice is the Excal II, CZ-21, Beach Hunter ID or other Minelabs. For more depth, PI's can't be beat but lack true discrimination regardless what the manufacturers say. NRA5.JPG

OP
OP
GuerillaBill

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Sandman;3412715ar better choice is the Excal II said:
I sold my Excal II due to its unreliability. Had to send it back to the factory 3 times. I also had a Sovereign GT. A great detector, but not waterproof. I had a Beach Hunter 300 ID, and it was a great beach detector - very reliable and easy to use. The coil had a tendency to float in salt water, but still produced nice results. Sold it right before I bought the AT Pro.

Now that I've got the AT Pro working the way I want, I'll probably stick with it - unless I find a great deal on another Beach Hunter ID.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread