ATP with the 5X8DD coil,Hits a Triple!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ATP with the 5X8DD coil,Hit's a Triple!

No I didn't find 3 targets in the same hole!:laughing7: In another post I noticed that a member had a few "issues" with his new ATP. He stated that he could get signals "hits" on the outside of the coil. When I installed my new 5X8 coil a few days back,I did a short test,to see where the coil was going to pinpoint the targets,and noticed the same thing! My 8.5 X11 DD coil won't do this! At first I thought it was just because I had the coins laying on the floor,so I took them outside and tried it again,and sure enough I could get 3"hits" per pass over the coin,or target. Once on the outside of the leading edge of the coil,one in the middle of the coil(where it should signal),and one on the trailing outside coil as it passed by the target. On trash I get a low,high,low signal,with the low tones coming from the outside coil section,and the high tone from the middle section. The only thing I can think of happening is,1 the target is on top of the ground( I haven't noticed this happening when the target is IN the ground)! 2. The coil is small enough that the signal is "bouncing,back fast(bleeding over to the center coil),and catching it, since it's so close to it?:dontknow: I'm going to try and make a video showing this strange effect.
0047_zpsa54c4356.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just tried out the Fisher F2 with the 8 inch concentric coil,and it will also get 3 signals,per pass on a coin laying on top of the ground!:dontknow:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed this also, just though it was inherent in the DD coils or something!

Pete

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed this also, just though it was inherent in the DD coils or something!

Pete
I don't know,Pete? When the concentric coil did the same thing,I was suprized!:icon_scratch:

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The same thing happens on the Ace with the 5x8. I thought my detector broke at first. Thanks for pointing this out.

Mike

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess no worries then!
Keep Hunting! LOL

Pete
Nope,they don't do it if the target is in the ground. I went hunting a few minutes ago with a friend at a old school. I got a screaming dime hit,in pro zero mode. I moved the coil back and forth slowly over the target,and was getting the 3 signal hit . Sure enough,the dime (clad:BangHead:) was laying right on top of the ground! So I guess you can use this to your advantage.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, I'm going to have to try this today.
But yeah, we can use it to our advantage like you say. If it triple beeps we know it's on the surface right? Lol

Pete

Metal.detective

Oct 29, 2012
Roanoke Rapids NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rks1919...I've used this little quirk quite a bit. I've noticed that on my AT Pro even about 2 to 3 inches down I get that 3 beep...high for most coins...mid for my flat buttons. If it's clean and a 3 beeper...I can already tell you I'm smiling.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rks1919...I've used this little quirk quite a bit. I've noticed that on my AT Pro even about 2 to 3 inches down I get that 3 beep...high for most coins...mid for my flat buttons. If it's clean and a 3 beeper...I can already tell you I'm smiling.
Yup! I'll have to remember this little trick!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread