My New Favorite Detector...

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro! I've only had this machine 2.5wks but in that time it has come to be my fav.

It has some issues that to me are kinda asinine. But the way the audio speaks I really like it as an overall package.

When heading out the door, my Vx3 & MXTP series are being left behind. Something I didn't think ever possible!

I'm really glad I took the chance on the ATP (and the 5x8) and stuck it out. As many of know I wasn't overly impressed with this machine to start with, finding more fault with it than good.
When I first started with the ATP I was running Pro Mode Custom w/28-30 iron disc. While it seemed to work ok I still wasn't "feeling it". I put it in Standard Coin Mode once. That lasted one target before I said f that!
After a couple of days running Pro Custom I switched it to Pro Zero w/zero iron disc. At first I thought it to be a bit too much info and would change back to Pro Custom when I felt I wasn't processing everything Pro Zero w/zero was telling me. That went on for a couple of days before I made the switch to Pro Zero w/zero iron disc and the decision to keep it there. Best move I made on the ATP. The machine came alive! Hearing everything the machine "sees" and how its presented to the user is simply brilliant.

Is it a perfect machine? Well no!
But to me right now, the ATP is the best I've ever used. Do I like it better than the E-Trac I had? Yep! Better than my Vx3? Yep! MXT Pro? Yep! Vaquero? Yep!

Now I'm thinking of an AT Gold. Probably sell/trade off my Whites to get one! Wait, did I just say that?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats awesome man really i was there on from the start when u were thinking on the pro and wow what a turn around go for you glad u like it and ur finding great things, its crazy how much a middle grade detector can keep up to the higher end ones and still make it fun

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fella, I've got an ace 250 and want to upgrade. What was it you didn't like about the Etrac?

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fella, I've got an ace 250 and want to upgrade. What was it you didn't like about the Etrac?
The two things I didn't like about the ET were the weight/balance which was terrible & the horrible long fluty tones. It sounded like R2D2 driving an ice cream truck. Hated it!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now I am impressed. I got to play with a White DFX today, and honestly it was more balanced (weight wise) then the pro but that was about it.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its an awesome machine, and if you put the time in with it, it's even better. I think I'll have mine for a long time

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, now I am impressed. I got to play with a White DFX today, and honestly it was more balanced (weight wise) then the pro but that was about it.

What machine are u comparing the dfx to ?

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad your enjoying it, I'm working on getting one as we speak! I'm starting to see that it's the machine I should saved a little longer to get in the first place. I'm really enjoying relic hunting in the sticks and although I don't regret starting with the 350, I think the Pro will fit my hunting style much better!

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked another silver today with it too. '61 Rosie!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have the experience with different detectors,as you have,but once I got to using the pro zero mode,with zero discrimination,and started understanding what the machine was saying to me,I was extremely happy with it's performance. The more I use it the more I understand what it's telling me! Being able to tell iron in the ground,from a good target is great!:thumbsup: After adding the 5X8 coil,I've been able to go over ground that I thought was nothing but trash,and cheery pick the coins out of the trash. Plus the VDI is just iceing on the cake. I can criss cross the target,and pin point it's location without using the pin point button. I think I'm going to be using this machine for a long time,as it will do anything I ask of it. I've only used it for coinshooting,but plan on going relic hunting this year. I can hardly wait to hear what it has to tell me when I do get to go!

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another silver?! I'm gonna have to spy and find where you're hitting. Still nothing here...

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little help here please..I have the Ace 250 and I don't like it..ID is off as is depth..Does the Atpro have those issues?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little help here please..I have the Ace 250 and I don't like it..ID is off as is depth..Does the Atpro have those issues?

Depth has been pretty accurate for me so far, usually if I don't find anything close to the depth on the display, its garbage like a soda can or other junk.

The ID has been OK, but with the AT Pro, you go more off sound than anything, as you will read in many of the posts. The ID is more for reference, but I think mine has worked pretty good so far while learning. I have never used the other Garretts, I believe the 250 has the single tone. The AT Pro has distinct sounds for coins and other items

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sapper for the info..:)

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

To get a better depth reading, lift the coil over the target say 8-10" then use your pinpoint and come straight down on where the target is. This will give you much much more accurate depth info. (This works great for both the Ace & AT series)
The ATP's depth meter isn't exactly the most accurate when you're swinging the coil over the target. Improved over the Ace series for sure but just use the technique I mentioned and the depth is right on.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No problem, hope it helps a bit :) There are a TON of videos on YouTube on the AT Pro that are really helpful also

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea...I will check them out!

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To get a better depth reading, lift the coil over the target say 8-10" then use your pinpoint and come straight down on where the target is. This will give you much much more accurate depth info. (This works great for both the Ace & AT series)
The ATP's depth meter isn't exactly the most accurate when you're swinging the coil over the target. Improved over the Ace series for sure but just use the technique I mentioned and the depth is right on.

Thanks, I will try it! :)

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THIS AT PRO BLOODY ROCKS!

All my other detectors are going on Craigslist tonight!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread