I got got the ACE 350

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 350 is a good starter machine. You should find plenty with it. Are other detectors better? Sure, but that depends on your budget and if you feel that you'll be into this hobby for a few years or so. I'd just start with the 350 and if you really enjoy the detecting, you can always upgrade. At that point, either sell the 350 or hang onto it for friends/family to MD with you. Just my 2c.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats.gif
YukonCorn on your new puppy. If you browse the Forum - you will find a billion different MD's that have found rings, watches, coins, etc. I will let you in on a little secret - it doesn't matter what you are swinging! Once you get the hang of it and understand what it is telling you (sounds, etc.) you will be just fine. So quit wondering if you should have bought something else - you have what you need - enjoy it and start reporting your finds.

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 350 is a good starter machine. You should find plenty with it. Are other detectors better? Sure, but that depends on your budget and if you feel that you'll be into this hobby for a few years or so. I'd just start with the 350 and if you really enjoy the detecting, you can always upgrade. At that point, either sell the 350 or hang onto it for friends/family to MD with you. Just my 2c.

That's what I am going do test it out first and see where it takes me. I just hope it's not a bad one that will make me not want to go MDing at all. I did not want to give up $600+ on a detector and don't know what the hell I am doing.

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats.gif
YukonCorn on your new puppy. If you browse the Forum - you will find a billion different MD's that have found rings, watches, coins, etc. I will let you in on a little secret - it doesn't matter what you are swinging! Once you get the hang of it and understand what it is telling you (sounds, etc.) you will be just fine. So quit wondering if you should have bought something else - you have what you need - enjoy it and start reporting your finds.

Great your making me feel better. I just have to get a good day to go out swinging maybe Thursday and Friday.

picky40

Sep 7, 2012
Mifflinburg,pa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ac e 350 was my first detector and it worked great for me, I now have an ATPro and I found more silver with the 350. It is a very good machine!!! HH!!! Picky

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the ace 250 for around a month now and like you, I didn't want to spend too much till I knew I would get the use out of it. I'm going to upgrade and just keep the 250 for backup or a loaner.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The 350 will get you a long ways into detecting. Running a 5x8 dd coil in heavy trash while its a learned thing the ace can find a coin. In one plug the other day was a hair pin clip for a lynch pin,a metal snap half,a small round flat metal piece and a dime.
When a coin tone,(hit)drops to iron try a real tight wiggle of coil to try to get it to repeat. When mixed targets are present or certain ,(wet is one) soil conditions exist unit drops to iron icon after solid coin hit. Dig if its happening. Plenty of options on it to get the most out of it on varied sites. When pinpointing it likes to notice iron if near,if it trys to wander more than a couple inches from where you hit a desired target thats usually the cause.
Have fun and good hunting!.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome buddy ull have no problem finding stuff it doesnt need to be a 1000 dollar detector to find treasures if its there its there just read ur manual get to know ur machine the more u know better items ur gonna pull garrett has some great vids on there websight for learning there detectors and there are plenty of great people here to answer ur questions its what we r all here for to help 1 another. most likley since u did say should i have gotten something else there will b those who say ya that thing sucks whatever i say if ur happy so be it its all that matters

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll do just fine with it, I found the coin pictured in my avatar with my 350 a few weeks back. See where it takes you and have fun along the way! You can always upgrade down the road if you like! You might also consider getting a quality pointer to aid in your hunting, it's not a MUST have, but it makes finding and recovering your targets much easier and faster, which leaves time for finding even more! HH :thumbsup:

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More depends on the "Indian" than the "Arrow"! The 350 should find you lots of targets. When starting out,try to dig every signal,even the junk signals. You will soon learn what signals to dig,and what one's you might want to pass on.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats and good luck!

While I'm NOT a fan of the Ace line of detectors, you may have a different experience. If not, don't judge all Garretts by a bad experience. I did and it kept me from owning (until recently) one of the finest detectors ever made! the AT Pro.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It wont be long and he will be here!!! Dusty where are you?

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check it out I went out for about 2 hours on the beach to "Test" the ACE 350 I set to to coins only. When going on the wet sand the ACE went crazy with bings and bongs. So I tried setting the sensitivity down 3 notches. It quite down but still getting tones. So I said let me try digging one up I was over a a foot of digging and said "get out of here can't be this deep" covered the hole went on again found another one sound good bing, bing now I am digging again another foot then no more bing bing I like WTF. It turned me off ahh eerr. Covered the hole went on again to dry sand bing bing again dug up another hole then lost the bing, bing again. So I said let me walk around and listen to the tones bing, bong, bing, bong all over the place. What I noticed is the i can pass over a spot and bing, bing, bing, bing, then go over and no tone, then bing again like the object disappeared for a sec. It has done that a couple of times already. So I decided again to try digging up another hole with a nice bing, bing tone. And there I found a clad penny about 4 inches. Then keep on and searching and found 1 bottle cap and a smashed can and 2 other junks.

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wont be long and he will be here!!! Dusty where are you?

I read Dusty comments made me feel like returning it back to the store.

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Ace line of detectors won't work in the wet sand. There not designed to handle the salt mineralization. So the detector thinks it found metal where in fact it was detecting the salt and possibly black sand. Really only higher end detectors are equipment to handle that environment. Usually they are pulse induction (pi) detectors that usually run about $1000. You should be ok if you're hunting the dry sand and inland.

As for false signals, try lowering the sensitivity a notch or two until its stable (in the dry sand). Stable meaning, you don't get a hit every swing.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will take time and practice, but eventually it will start to click.

Some tips: if you get a good strong signal, turn 90 degrees and see if the hit is still there.

When pin pointing, if you move the coil a 4" or so left or right or above, it could be a larger target like a can. Coins will drop off sharply only and inch to either side.

Just because your in coin mode doesnt mean the detector will only find coins. Pieces of aluminum cans (can slaw) or bottle caps will sometimes fall in the coin range.

Dig anything repeatable. If the signal doesnt jump around from iron to coins and stays basically in on range DIG

Hope this helps

Jay

OP
OP
YukonCorn

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace line of detectors won't work in the wet sand. There not designed to handle the salt mineralization. So the detector thinks it found metal where in fact it was detecting the salt and possibly black sand. Really only higher end detectors are equipment to handle that environment. Usually they are pulse induction (pi) detectors that usually run about $1000. You should be ok if you're hunting the dry sand and inland.

As for false signals, try lowering the sensitivity a notch or two until its stable (in the dry sand). Stable meaning, you don't get a hit every swing.

Ok I got ya Ill try that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread