Bounty Hunter 505 lasted 5 years Garret At Pro 21 days

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
I am a little disappointed in Garrett right now. I bought my at pro on May 31 and on June 21 it craps out on me. I had only used it 5 times with approximately 10 hours on it. I was at the beach in Mission Bay working my way to where a beach area at a hotel looked like a good spot to try the detector in the water for the first time. I didn't even get a chance to get there. I got a good signal and went to look at the target id when it started going crazy. the screen would go blank then flash all over the place showing only half a target id no target id only one bar of battery but at the top and the depth jumped all over the place. I turned the detector off then reset it. It went crazy again in just a few seconds. I went home changed batteries and reset it again and detector would not turn on. The detector is now on its way to Garrett for repairs. I still like the at pro but can't help but remember how may people on here badmouthed my Bounty Hunter 505 and called it a piece of junk. The bounty hunter lasted me five years and I found a lot of things with it. I would think the at pro could have lasted longer than 21 days. I am not bad mouthing Garrett I have a ace 250 which has worked well for me the last year. I am just frustrated because I saved for 6 months to buy the at pro and now I have to wait at least one to two weeks to get it back.:icon_scratch:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 hours and no replies...
Cause no one wants to say what I'm going to.

Oh so what! It's broke, ---- happens dude. Send it in, let them repair it and be done with it!
What do you expect anyone to say to your post?
I've seen others before with problems and they just dealt with it.
It'll be like brand new when you get it back! If ya waited 6 months then another week won't kill ya !

Pete
Hang in there! Haha

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It happens...

I had a fisher F2 for 25 days, then it died. I sent it back to Amazon for a full refund, and realized I wanted an upgrade, so got the AT Pro. Do I hate Fisher now? Nope, I still refer them to new detectorists.

Once in a while, products have problems. Nothing can be built 100% perfect, no matter how great a company is. Luckily, you bought a Garrett, and I hear their customer service is amazing. One reason why I went with Garrett this time. I realized that new products can have problems, so might as well be covered by the best out there, right?

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett will take care of it,and fast too! Yeah,your BH worked for 5 years,but it won't do what the ATP will once it's repaired/replaced. I've got a little radio shack detector that's a piece of crap,but you can't kill it! It will find a 15 inch car rim,and a dime buried in the ground (Same tone) infact everything is the same tone!:dontknow: It's a super stud finder with a handle on it!:laughing7:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like everyone else said "Crap happens" and being a computer tech, electronics usually fail in the first couple of weeks, if there is a problem, and that's a good thing because usually the component is still under warranty.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's exactly true...

Pete

Like everyone else said "Crap happens" and being a computer tech, electronics usually fail in the first couple of weeks, if there is a problem, and that's a good thing because usually the component is still under warranty.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Don't panic......Garrett will look after you. Probably better then any other metal detector manufacturer. It's made in USA, by one of the oldest companies....next year they are celebrating their 50th Anniversary. :)

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one bar of battery:

might I suggest RTFM? It says replace batteries when you get down to one bar. Also I see you went home and replace the batteries and it wont even turn on now. Might it be the batteries are not installed incorrectly or did not set properly?

Last edited:

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok sorry about being so harsh there in above post I am having a bad day, but seriously, once the battery meter gets to one bar you need to replace the batteries, and once you swapped them the unit stopped working, so I would say either batteries are in wrong, not seated correctly, or possibly the replacement batteries are deader than the other ones. The unit should not just not turn on any more after swapping batteries

harryb007

Oct 28, 2010
Waterboro, Maine
Detector(s) used
XLT, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
I was running lithium batteries in mine last year, they were great for quite awhile but without warning they went from 4 bars to 1 and the ATP went nuts. I replaced with regular batteries and was fine. I now replace when I hit 2 bars and have not had any issues. My point----I think the voltage needs to be at or above a certain point or you will get erratic operation. JMHO. HH

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check for loose cable connections. If they get wet, you need to disconnect them and let them dry out.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've run mine down to 1 bar and never had any problems? I did change the batterys out as soon as I was done,though.

OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Not expecting anyone to say anything just venting. I sent it in before I even wrote the post.

OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
I have nothing against garrett actually like the at pro and am looking forward to getting it back. I agree **** happens. Just after waiting six months to be able to buy it and then it breaking after 21 days I just wanted to vent.

OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Read the manual twice before I even put it together. When I got back from the beach I read it again and followed the troubleshooting guidelines and did replace the batteries. As for the bar when the batteries get weak and show one bar it is suppose to show it at the bottom not one bar at the top. Batteries were put in properly and was rechecked to make sure. The detector is on its way to Garrett and I am sure it will be repaired and returned soon. Just vented out of frustration.

OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the inputs guys both those helpful and those critical. I was venting my frustrations when I wrote this post. I like the AT PRO do not want to get rid of it and expect it will be the detector I use when I travel and can only bring one. As for Garrett Customer service Hilda at Garrett was very helpful and got me set up right away to send it in for repairs. Soon I hope to be taking it out again to learn more of it's abilities in the meantime I still have the ace 250 and Sovereign Gt to keep me going. Good luck to all of you and Happy hunting. Ted

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ted,
I agree buddy it does stink when that happens but just hang in there.
It'll be your best machine when she gets back I'm sure!
Sovereign GT huh? I had one of those years ago! That's a super machine there! Outstanding on the beach and deep too! The guy I hunt with still has his. He kept his when I sold mine though.
If ya have any questions about the Pro just shout! We will all give ya some tips but it sounds like you've been around the block anyway!

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread