ATP at a Old School House Location! The BIG DOG can Hunt Too!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I switched coils for a hunt today. This is the first time it wasn't raining/storming in two days. I had the 8.5 X 11 DD coil on since I wanted to cover as much ground as possible. The school I hunted today, is long gone,and just a open field in the corner of the country road is left. The school opened in 1892,and was closed in 1910. The old one room building rotted away over the years,and you wouldn't even know the school house was there,unless you knew the history behind it! I found a small cannon at about 6 inches.
00116_zpsf0702f88.jpg
Then a few shallow targets,they were clad rosie dimes,and one Lincoln Penny.
008_zpsc5af63b1.jpg
Then I got this good signal and it showed it at 5 inches,it turned out to be something that is bell shaped,but it's made out of brass,and the top is broken off
00211_zps21c004bf.jpg
. The next find had a lot of signals in it. It just screamed,and was large but there was a faint high signal mixed in with it?:dontknow: So I dug the hole,and at about 6 inches I found a small object with a screw through it? The big booming signal was still in the hole. About 2 inches farther down I hit something solid. It was the flat iron strap in the picture. So I thought that's about it for this hole. Before I filled it in,I ran my coil over the hole,and got the high signal,with nothing mixed in it. Got the pro pointer out and grabbed a hand full of the loose dirt from the bottom of the hole. When I stuck the PP into the hand full of dirt it went off,so I moved the tip around and a coin showed up! I about fell over! It was a 1898 Indian One Cent Piece! Almost in perfect condition!
009_zps32fc2288.jpg
0112_zpsd13196ce.jpg
I measured the hole and it was 11 inches deep,and the 8.5 X 11 DD coil separated and signaled the IH from the Iron strap at that depth!:thumbsup: Don't let anyone tell you your big coil won't separate trash from the good targets,it will. Also,don't forget to double check your holes! If I had just filled the hole in,I would have never found this coin.I've got permission to hunt the school,and you can bet I'll be back there! Ron

Last edited:
OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds rks.
Thanks,vpnavy! That is the oldest coin I have found so far. I was beginning to get discouraged,find nothing but newer clad coins,

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs man!
Love the story too, its raining pretty bad out right now so I'm stuck in front of this screen listening to my tumbler.
With the pics and the story I was almost there with ya... thanks!! :hello2:

Keep on getting that good stuff, HH! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome digs man!
Love the story too, its raining pretty bad out right now so I'm stuck in front of this screen listening to my tumbler.
With the pics and the story I was almost there with ya... thanks!! :hello2:

Keep on getting that good stuff, HH! :icon_thumright:
Thanks,NW Digger!:thumbsup: Here is the last picture of the old school house. It was removed form the property in 1911,one year after it closed.
Oldschoolhouse_zps90557bc6.jpg
It was moved somewhere.and I'm told it just rotted away to nothing, at the new location.

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds:icon_thumleft: I don't think it matters which coil you put on, this detector is just awsome:notworthy: Last week I dug my first IH (1881) with the 5x8, at 8+ inches. Good job on not giving up on the dig:hello2: and re-checking it.

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds:icon_thumleft: I don't think it matters which coil you put on, this detector is just awsome:notworthy: Last week I dug my first IH (1881) with the 5x8, at 8+ inches. Good job on not giving up on the dig:hello2: and re-checking it.
Thanks,cooper1841!:thumbsup: Yeah,both coils work well,and the ATP is a coinhound!:laughing7: I've got the IH soaking in Extra Virgin Olive Oil! I hope this cleans it up? I wish these old coins could talk. I bet the stories behind them would be great,to hear? Ron

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now whos on a roll lol nice finds buddy

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find! That coin looks great for the time it's been in the ground.

The big coil works great, but a lot of people like the small coil in trashy areas. I'm glad you kept checking that hole for more signals!

A tip to find old buildings, turn on iron audio until you get lots of iron signals,- that's usually the area where the old building is torn down.

Wayne

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds buddy... hope you hit a lot more.

NW Digger

Oct 14, 2012
Mason, Ohio (moved from wa)
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, White's XLT, GTI 2500, Ace 250, Titan 2000xd, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks,NW Digger!:thumbsup: Here is the last picture of the old school house. It was removed form the property in 1911,one year after it closed.
Oldschoolhouse_zps90557bc6.jpg
It was moved somewhere.and I'm told it just rotted away to nothing, at the new location.

Wow makes it even cooler that you have all the history behind it too, pics etc.
Makes it so much interesting! Keep us updated on whatever else you manage there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds buddy... hope you hit a lot more.
Thanks,badpenny!:thumbsup: I can't wait to get back there! It's 96 degrees in the shade here now! Maybe tomorrow morning if it isn't storming. Ron

OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
rks1949

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good find! That coin looks great for the time it's been in the ground.

The big coil works great, but a lot of people like the small coil in trashy areas. I'm glad you kept checking that hole for more signals!

A tip to find old buildings, turn on iron audio until you get lots of iron signals,- that's usually the area where the old building is torn down.

Wayne
Thanks,Wayne!:thumbsup: That tip is "spot on"! I started finding a lot of iron,deeper in this area. nails,old bolts,ect.and that's where the IH was located. I just have to learn to "slow down" and check everything out,before moving on to the next dig!:laughing7:

awhatley

May 31, 2012
marion, louisiana
Detector(s) used
Lone Star Bounty Hunter, son uses a JR Bounty Hunter, 2 modified centech pointers, fisher f2, fisher pinpointer, harbor freight detector, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice looking coin. man i cant wait til i find my first all i seem to b finding is early 1930 wheats.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Mackeral! LOL

Nice story and NICE COIN! Very very nice RK!
Happy for you!
That coin looks great! Very nice hunt for sure!

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread