Help with AT Pro - Is it me...?

CarbonMan

Greenie
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just received my AT Pro about a week ago. So far I've been to the beach twice and around my property a few times. I had a hell of a time getting it to settle down at the beach on both wet pack and dry loose sand. Tried everything from automatically ground balancing it, manually auto balancing (from 0-80's), setting sensitivity down 3-4 notches, Std and pro mode in all 3 settings. Was getting ghost signals from 0-99 in the same spots. Made sure cord was plugged in all the way and made sure I was swinging slow and level to ground. Dug all signals and would find nothing. I chalked it off to heavily mineralized sand and called it a day.

Then I attempted to scan my property. I went to a section (large pit) in which I filled in myself about 6 years ago with large boulders and dirt. I know for a fact that there isn't anything much other than dirt and rocks. I tried scanning the area which is approx. 40'x25' and was getting signal hits ranging from everything between 20-85 in both Std mode and pro mode. I would move over a few feet (to a different area) and detector would hit again. You would think the entire area was seeded with coins. I tried turning down the sensitivity 2-3 notches and still would get hits. Ventured off to other areas of my property and again multiple hits everywhere.

So the question is what am I doing wrong or could it be a defective machine?

By the way, I've read the manual twice and watched the instructional videos twice. Read almost every thread within the last year concerning operating the ATP on a beach. Just can't seem to figure mine out.

I really appreciate any help you guys can give a newbie.

Thanks!
CM

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see you mention batteries.. Are they also good to go?
And be sure the cable from the coil is secured up against the shaft
and swinging all over the place.

Go out in your yard and do a reset. turn machine on, wait a sec
then hold the on/off button in for about 5-6 sec.till you hear a double beap.
Try the auto GB again and see what happens...

OP
OP
C

CarbonMan

Greenie
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Batteries are brand new and at full strength. Cable is wrapped tightly and I did a reset about 6-7 times since I received it. I read somewhere to double check cord and make sure no threads are showing. I have it snugged up as far as it will go and retaining ring is screwed all the way. I'm going to try some air tests tonight and get back to you.

Thanks!
CM

I didn't see you mention batteries.. Are they also good to go?
And be sure the cable from the coil is secured up against the shaft
and swinging all over the place.

Go out in your yard and do a reset. turn machine on, wait a sec
then hold the on/off button in for about 5-6 sec.till you hear a double beap.
Try the auto GB again and see what happens...

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, ok
Check those pins inside the connector and housing just to be sure they
are not bent also... Anything stuck to bottom of coil too..
Pete

OP
OP
C

CarbonMan

Greenie
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, ok
Check those pins inside the connector and housing just to be sure they
are not bent also... Anything stuck to bottom of coil too..
Pete

OK, I think my detector has officially gone off the deep end...

I turned on the detector for an air test and tested a gold ring, platinum ring, silver, thin gold earing and some coins. It seemed to detect all the rings, but when switching to the silver coin the detector just started going off like crazy. I was holding it in the air and it was hitting in the 90's and 10+". No matter which direction I pointed/swung, it was going off as if someone had a coin touching the coil. Moved to a different room and it was still going off as if it was hitting on coins. The entire time I had it in the air with no coins or metal anywhere near it. I removed the coil cover to make sure there wasn't too much sand in there. I found a little so I rinsed it off and still acted the same.

I tried to reset and even removed the batteries and it still was acting in this strange way. Just to be certain, which setting should I use when performing an air test?

Talk about frustrated!
CM

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems the first AT Pros were to sensitive to EMI fields like yours. Garrett must have fixed the problem as the latest behave like they were dumbed down.

OP
OP
C

CarbonMan

Greenie
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said you moved to a different room ??
Go out side and away from your house

OK, I'll give it a try and let you know...

When I first got it I did an air test in the same room and did not react this way so I didn't give it a second thought.

Thanks!
CM

OP
OP
C

CarbonMan

Greenie
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a quick video of it going off...

FYI...I tried it both indoors and outdoors and acted the same way. I'm in the middle of posting the outdoor video as well.

Indoor:

Outdoor:

I'll call Garrett in the morning.

Thanks
CM

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,something isn't right? Do you have WiFi at your home? What happens if you run the sens at 1 bar? Holding the coil up in the air like that almost makes me think it's EMI!

OP
OP
C

CarbonMan

Greenie
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah,something isn't right? Do you have WiFi at your home? What happens if you run the sens at 1 bar? Holding the coil up in the air like that almost makes me think it's EMI!

Yes, I thought the same thing and shut it off with no change. Also checked for other wifi signals outside and could not pick anything up with my iPad.

Thanks,
CM

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah call Garrett in the morning,they will take care of it! Still kinda sucks though?

Pigstick

Jun 11, 2013
Full-time RVer
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a new Garrett AT Pro about two weeks ago, it had a bad coil. The symptoms where a little different than yours. I called Garrett, they sent me a new coil which arrived 2 days later and all is well. As a side note, I called KellyCo who I purchased the unit from, there "tech" support consisted of "did you try new batteries", then they said they would send me a RMA # in a "couple of days", its been a week with no further contact. Good Luck!

picky40

Sep 7, 2012
Mifflinburg,pa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you try changing the frequency, this has happened to me before I changed the frequency and it was good. One more thing do you have an underground dog fence they will drive a detector nuts also!! Good luck and HH!!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it has to go back. Don't wait for Kellyco to get back to you either; I am waiting weeks for a response and I am not expecting one any time soon either.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt watch ur vids im actually using my phone for this but ah how far up the rod befor u started to wrap the cable ? I usually go staright up the shaft about a foot then start clockwise quiets em right down

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you call Garrett, be sure and tell them when you purchased it. If it's within the first 90 days, they will usually pay shipping both ways. If its brand new, they will probably swap it out for a new one.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread