No Rings After Fireworks... But Got a New Spot!

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone,
Well, I went to the fireworks spot, but all I found today was a bunch of pennies on the top of the ground, and a couple dimes. I didn't cover all of the ground though, because my son was getting too hot playing at the park while I detected. (It was about 90 degrees today)
On another note though, we were coming back from the grocery store and I saw a garage sale in town at one of the first houses built in my town, and it's a BIG one, so I'm guessing the first owners had some money. It was built in 1904. We looked around at the sale, then after I bought something, I asked the current owner if she had ever had her yard detected before. She looked very interested, and said no. I asked her if she would allow me to come over some time when her yard wasn't covered by sale stuff, and give it a try. She was very cool about it, and said, "Sure, as long as you let me see what you find, and if you find a million dollars, you have to split it with me!". Needless to say, I'll be back there either tomorrow evening or she said she'd be home next week. I can't wait to get on that lawn and start digging plugs! It's not a huge yard, but who knows, there HAS to be something there. I mean, if I can find 10 pennies in my yard that is only about 30 years old, what will I find in a yard with a house that's over 100 years old?
I'm just pumped, because I haven't been asking people to check their yards, but now after today, I feel quite a bit more comfortable with it. I must also say, that if you see a house with a garage sale that looks older, go ahead and ask about it, because first off they're probably willing to talk, and you're not really bothering them, or knocking on doors.

I'll keep ya updated how it goes!

Happy Hunting!

Ron

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day when I was out at a tot-lot the field next to it is owed by an old guy that I met called Jerry,he tells me about his land and how at one time there was an old 2 room school house on it,and if I wanted I could come and swing the coil anytime I wanted.I love old people!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day when I was out at a tot-lot the field next to it is owed by an old guy that I met called Jerry,he tells me about his land and how at one time there was an old 2 room school house on it,and if I wanted I could come and swing the coil anytime I wanted.I love old people!

Nice

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE:

Well, today was the big day. Her yard was even smaller than I thought, but that didn't matter. After speaking with the owner explaining why I didn't stop sooner because of the dry weather, I got to work. The very first hole I dug yielded this!

ForumRunner_20130730_225859.png

ForumRunner_20130730_225913.png

1902! Only my second silver in my detecting career, and my second oldest coin so far!

Next came these Wheaties. A 1920 and a 1944. (I also dug a 64 penny and an 82)

ForumRunner_20130730_230131.png

ForumRunner_20130730_230141.png

I also dug a couple of small buttons but did not take pictures yet.

Last but not least, I dug up this little piece of UXO...

ForumRunner_20130730_230322.png

ForumRunner_20130730_230332.png

A 1928 Frankford Arsenal 45 ACP Live Round!

I had a gut feeling about this place, and I'm very glad I was able to search it. The property owner was very happy also, and is going to speak with her neighbors about me coming and searching their lawns also. If I do, I'll update again!

Good luck, and happy hunting!

P.S. Sorry again about the stupid sideways pictures! I know its annoying!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, love the dime and shell.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thansk for the update! Great finds! I wonder if that shell would still fire? Probably not, after so many years, the powder probably got wet inside it.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some good finds!:thumbsup: I've never asked to hunt a yard yet. I'm kinda backwards when it comes to asking people to hunt in their yards?:dontknow:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha its hard the first time just go somewhere u don't know anyone nothing gained nothing earned

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread