Best headphones for our acoustic crazed ATP?

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering what headphones would best suit the ATP since the pro mode is a lot about the sound-roll tones,highs and lows etc. Ive been using the headphones that came with it and have started to see they arent the best ones suited. I have lyme disease(level4) and it can make you go blind or deaf in the later stages and luckily I was dealt bad hearing--I need something that is going to make the sounds POP and I have been reading about the Black Widow headphones which states they are for the hard of hearing.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone have a decent pair of headphones? Going out on a limb-does anyone have a pair of black widows for sale? cant hurt to ask. searching for some clues guys please lend a hand.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new grey ghost headphones they make for the pro Ive heard r just awesome no negative coments all good

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No these black widow headphones are sold on Kellyco along with grey ghosts, jolly Rogers, rattlers. Was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas, headphones for sale etc

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can find detector headphones from $30-150. The higher $ phones have higher ohm ratings. The Jolly Rogers, Gray Ghosts, and Black Widows are all top of the line headphones. You will need a headphone adapter to use them on your AT Pro, with the exception of the new Gray Ghost Amphibians that are being released this month.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wayne:

What does the higher ohm rating effect? I know that ohms are a measure of resistance in a circuit, but don't know enough to know how that would make a better set of headphones.

Edited: Although this link might not be the authority on the issue, it does give a simple explanation of what the higher ohm ratings mean:
Does higher ohm rating mean better sound quality

Thanks,

You can find detector headphones from $30-150. The higher $ phones have higher ohm ratings. The Jolly Rogers, Gray Ghosts, and Black Widows are all top of the line headphones. You will need a headphone adapter to use them on your AT Pro, with the exception of the new Gray Ghost Amphibians that are being released this month.

Wayne

Last edited:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the higher Ohm rating means less distortion in the audio signal. It also requires less power to drive the speakers. That's one of the reasons headphones increase battery life. Other than that, the fit, noise canceling and sound quality is preferred by most users in the higher dollar headphones.

Wayne

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Wayne!

picky40

Sep 7, 2012
Mifflinburg,pa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the sound quality in the grey ghost amphibians be the same as the original grey ghosts? I was just wondering if the water proofing changes anything?

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, XP Deus 1 and Deus 2, Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Picky...

You are comparing apples to oranges...like a PI to a VLF.

The Gray Ghost Amphibian are submersible headphones and use a piezo "buzzer" speaker system.
The Gray Ghost Originals are land headphones using a traditional speaker cone system.

We pushed the envelope on these Amphibians with a Patent Pending "sound box" design that makes them the best sounding submersible headphones ever manufactured.

Will the sound quality in the grey ghost amphibians be the same as the original grey ghosts? I was just wondering if the water proofing changes anything?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a set of Grey Ghost Amphibians from Extreme detecting today and the sound is really great!! The volume control has a wide range and although I am not familiar with hearing problems I can say if I turn the volume all the way up it is too much for my ears. I was impressed with the quality of the tones, that's for sure!! Great guys to deal with too!!

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gunsil - glad you are pleased!

I just got a set of Grey Ghost Amphibians from Extreme detecting today and the sound is really great!! The volume control has a wide range and although I am not familiar with hearing problems I can say if I turn the volume all the way up it is too much for my ears. I was impressed with the quality of the tones, that's for sure!! Great guys to deal with too!!

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this In/Out of the water?
BIG difference once they fill up with water...
Pete

the sound is really great!!
I was impressed with the quality of the tones, that's for sure!! Great guys to deal with too!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just had a set installed on one of my excals.......

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Pete.
I have not done a comparison of the "sounds" with the phones filled with water versus dry.
However - what I can say is that these waterproof headphones are unlike any other waterproof headphones ever made due to the Patent Pending "sound box" design to hold the piezo speakers.
I would expect that this design would mitigate most if not all of the sound differences that occur with other waterproof phones once they have filled with water.

Is this In/Out of the water?
BIG difference once they fill up with water...
Pete

Normann

Mar 18, 2009
Thailand
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Seahunter Mark II,Fisher Goldbug 2
Wayne:

What does the higher ohm rating effect? I know that ohms are a measure of resistance in a circuit, but don't know enough to know how that would make a better set of headphones.

Edited: Although this link might not be the authority on the issue, it does give a simple explanation of what the higher ohm ratings mean:
Does higher ohm rating mean better sound quality

Thanks,
The automatic speaker disable feature requires the input impedence of the head phones to be 10.000 ohms or less. If you have to high ohm want work.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the gray ghost amphibians for the Garratt sea hunter 2?

what depth are they rated to?

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Right now we guarantee them to 33 feet.
We tested them to over 66 feet and they still performed.

thanks!

I looked on your site and the jack seems to have one pin - think my SH2 has two pins?

is this correct?

thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread