Got a new Ace 250

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After playing around with my Tracker IV I decided after some research and a limited budget to get a Garrett 250 today. I gave my tracker to my son who is 8 years old and has fell in love with metal detecting. With it being 100 degrees today I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with it but maybe this evening I can get some swing time in. If anyone has some tips on using this machine I am really happy to hear them. :icon_thumleft:

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new detector :hello2: I hope you and your son have a ball. I'm sorry, I can't help on info on the ace 250. Some of the guys will probably chime in later. HH

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After playing around with my Tracker IV I decided after some research and a limited budget to get a Garrett 250 today. I gave my tracker to my son who is 8 years old and has fell in love with metal detecting. With it being 100 degrees today I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with it but maybe this evening I can get some swing time in. If anyone has some tips on using this machine I am really happy to hear them. :icon_thumleft:

Glad to hear u sharing the hobby with ur kids as well mine love it to, also Congrates on ur new machine usually when I get a new one i have certain things ill run across the coil so i can start learning what the tones r gonna b good items,& junk . Like every new detector its best to read the manual so ull understand how to set it up & garret has a lot of informative vids on each of there machines, so does youtube more u know better the finds will b good luck

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new MD and your son with his lol! The 250 is a good machine and served me well.

Some tips: i found it easier to pin point off the inner top oval. Pin point the strongest read then pull the coil to you until the signal drops off. Then slide the coil way from you and when you get that good strong hit again. The target will be under the top of the inner oval.

Next, practicing determining size of the target. If pinpointing and the target is strong several inches to a foot above the ground it could be a large target.

Lastly, if the indicator tab is giving a fairly consistent ie reads penny to dime or dime to quarter DIG. Actually, you should probably dig all targets to get used to it any way. Hope this helps and happy hunting!

Jay

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to love your Ace 250. I had mine for six years before trading up
to the Ace 350. When you can, get the 4.5 sniper coil and an extra rod to
make changing over, easy. Also, if you want more deepth, the 9x12 will do well.
For deeper finds you can go to Kelly Co and get the 13 inch coil. It will fit the 150, 250, and the 350.
Have fun...and buy the Garrett pro pointer if you don't already have one.
Dirtfisher23ro

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool-N-Groovy OP 8-)

I went from an ACE 150 to the ATP (I'm VERY new to both MD'ing AND the ATP) and, although I'm really enjoying My new
ATP.....I'm going to get Myself a '250 this Friday (They just sound like too much fun) for screwing around with.

I'll be watching for future posts from you about it :icon_thumright:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool-N-Groovy OP 8-)

I went from an ACE 150 to the ATP (I'm VERY new to both MD'ing AND the ATP) and, although I'm really enjoying My new
ATP.....I'm going to get Myself a '250 this Friday (They just sound like too much fun) for screwing around with.

I'll be watching for future posts from you about it :icon_thumright:

Hahaha sounds like me when u keep hearing about a machine its like huh mayb I could use another one i like collecting them myself, and im also really liking my newest one the deus xp not many out there yet its nice not having the same thing ya know but good luck if & when u get ur 250 the Atpro is awesome & mines not goin anywhere

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha sounds like me when u keep hearing about a machine its like huh mayb I could use another one i like collecting them myself, and im also really liking my newest one the deus xp not many out there yet its nice not having the same thing ya know but good luck if & when u get ur 250 the Atpro is awesome & mines not goin anywhere

LOL, yeah.

WTH, I'm having kittens trying to learn to pinpoint that DD coil (lol) and the damn thing "sounds" like R2D2 when I run it in "PRO" mode (:tongue3:)

Eh....I'm having fun so it's all good 8-)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey having fun is all that matters the rest is just gravey lol

OP
OP
P

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im fairly new to this hobby but i'm getting the idea that you can't ever have too many metal detectors or metal detecting equipment. :headbang:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im fairly new to this hobby but i'm getting the idea that you can't ever have too many metal detectors or metal detecting equipment. :headbang:

U definetly cant have to much for sure I have quite a bit lol & more between scoops & pouches diggers that arent on my stats, but its not really who has the most or the most expensive u gotta know how to use ur stuff or its pretty useless. On top of knowing & learning more & more on the things I got as i can c its also a hobby of mine to collect these things & different tools for the hobby, some collect cómics,cars,I collect guns & cars & metal detecting equipment my goal is to have at least one machine from each brand lol

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will love it, I think for the money you can go wrong. I have a 250 and moved up to the ATP but always take my 250 with me. I still love it. You won't be sorry

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Well, most will say to 1. put it in ALL METAL and then put at least 100 hours DIGGING EVERY SOUND! So true! After that you'll know why to put it on another mode. I've got a tad over 3000 hours on mine and still going strong. Also, go to your search engine and type it, "coin popping". It may be on youtube. I thinks it's by DETECTO. My wife does most of the digging and that's the method she uses so successfully. I've posted some charts on the ACE 250 I've made so type in my name on this site's search engine and check out some past posts. I've had and used mine for quite a while and I'll also chime it with, "YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE THIS MACHINE".

OP
OP
P

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks to everyone! And Sandtrout, I will check it out. I used it for a little while this morning for about an hour just around my yard. I started getting frustrated because all I was finding was old beer cans and tabs but I started getting the hang of it and started to find a few coins. I also liked the pinpoint feature on this machine. I will get there. It's just a bit different than my Bounty Hunter Tracker was.

OP
OP
P

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The whole coin popping thing is awesome. I saw someone do it with the pinpoint function on there detector and with an actual pinpointer. This is gonna take some practice for me.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's awesome until you scratch a $300 coin from side to side.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a simple turn on and go dector, if you want more depth use the sensativity button, try air testing it with some coins, your gonna love ti but it's not goog in the wet sand, it will false alot.
good luck with it and happy hunting.:icon_thumright:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and watch every video on the Ace 250 and then rewatch them again,make a test garden in your yard and include trash.

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Christ', I should ask you too (Since you've been so nice responding to so many of My "NEWB" questions)...

I've got a total "Chubby" (lol) for the Fisher F75LE (To MY inexperienced eye it "Looks" pretty neat). What do you think of the F2 or F4 against the '250? I'm leaning towards the
'250 because I started off with a '150 and am pretty familiar with it but...the F2 and the F4 (Specifically) just "seem" to offer a lot more information. The F2 runs around the same
price as a '250 and has a VDI and the F4 at a couple of hundred dollars more "looks" like it's in a completely different league than either of them.

My desire for a '250 has almost everything to do with having a detector to throw in the trunk and just grab-and-go with (With more features and depth than My '150).

'ever tried out the Fisher stuff man? Thanks in advance for any input (From ANYONE).

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol I hear ya on the f75, its a looker, idk man if I were u I'd go with the f4 I mean weight they r about the same (f4 2.6lbs) ace 250 2.7lbs, so that's about the same my other reasons would b is u can manually ground balance it or auto,ace has fixed,so more depth w/ f4. Also the f4 if u upgrade later on will prepare u for what the higher end machines using the visual id (vdi), some hate tones on the ace series but ur used to it so toss up there f4 has,a 4 tone which is nice. That's my choice if u have the 150 I just don't think its to much an upgrade goin to a 250 ull c an upgrade goin to the f4 & u can get coils etc use ur 150 for a trunk machine. Or check out online auction I have seen some higher end machines in $400 range that would b even more of an upgrade. A couple days ago I seen a f75 on eBay $495 shipped aftr auction was done not to far off ur budget, even craigslist,or treasure classifieds may have something to good luck man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions