Hey Diggers Whats That Sound Everybody Look Whats Coming Out

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody who hasn't found a ring wants to know what it sounds like. I do!
I have seen posts for VID's for various rings and such and have read that they hit hard and such but nothing real substantial to tell me what I am listening for or how I could be a little more positive that what I am about to dig is something more than a piece of foil or pop tab.
With all the pop tabs and foil that I have dug, they almost all had a certain characteristic to the sounds. For instance, a piece of foil or aluminum I could get it to break up and make some inconsistent noises. If I go over the object quickly it gave a good solid signal sound, but going over it slowly and at different angles I could obtain the scratchy effect and less thud or bark.
I dig it up and sure enough, pop tab or foil or a piece of aluminum.
All the while I am moving the coil over it slowly I can also get the VID #'s to fluctuate substantially, whereas with a coin the tone doesn't change much and the #'s don't fluctuate much.
So, from you guys who use an AT Pro and are finding all of the rings, what can the rest of us listen for when going over suspect targets that could be a ring and have a little more assurance?
I know the only real assurance is to dig it, but in a park where the tab and foil count is 1000 to 1, I would like at least no what to listen for.

Thanks and Get Er Dug

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gold rings can actually be any tone depending on alloy type , thickness, diameter and the mounting for stone if any, too many variables to say what a ring sounds like really that is what makes finding them a challenge!

OP
OP

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding them is a challenge for sure. Throw junk in with them and it can be downright tiring to dig every tab or piece of foil you hit.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding them is a challenge for sure. Throw junk in with them and it can be downright tiring to dig every tab or piece of foil you hit.

Hey, Mr 0..There seems to be a lot of new members posting questions on the trash versus gold theme lately...here are my best tips for finding gold in trashy areas:

1.Figure out where people are most likely to lose their jewelery and forget everywhere else...

Parks and ball fields can be huge, but most gold items I have found were lost where people are the most active...such as near the backstops, seats, and sidelines, where folks jump up and down, clapping and generally throwing happy fits while cheering for their team! And in the tot lots where people chase their kids around and push swings or pitch balls. etc. Also in flat picnic areas where people traditionally put up volley ball nets or toss games and the like.
I have found it is a colossal waste of time to dig foil, tabs, and alum. can slaw from an entire park of which 90% has never been home to any human activity vigorous enough to produce lost jewelery. So scout out your areas when the crowds are there and watch for the most activity! Everywhere else discriminate up and go for the clad and silver, makes for a nicer day!

2. Ain't got no beach? Wait for the beach to come to you!

Most hunters know the beach is an easier place to find lost gold because scooping sand is easier than diggin' in rock hard dirt, right! So forget about diggin' all the trash that signals likes gold when the dirt is like concrete, and discriminate back up and go for just the clad and silver. Only after a long hard rain, (I generally wait for flash flood warnings, myself), would I dig everything to the right of nails...in water saturated ground you can pop out those plugs like there's no tomorrow!...push your shovel all the way in about 3 inches behind the pinpoint spot and pry up...those grapefruit sized plugs will fly out of the ground.
Boom, Boom, Boom...find the object, replace the plug, and move on as quick as you can! Just like beach hunting! (well okay, almost). Combine this with the first tip and your chances of finding gold in trashy areas will get a lot better.

3. Don't get bummed.

Sometimes there just ain't no gold there. Don't drive yourself out of the hobby, there is plenty to find that's not gold...Also I wouldn't expect rings like a beach hunter, at beaches fingers are wet and rings are lost...I find very few rings in parks, most of my park/ball field jewelery has been pendants, chains, bracelets or earrings...happy hunting!

Last edited:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Rings tend to give off a smoother sound. If laing horizontal to the coil, expect the same VDI number in all directions. I tend to dig most of that can slaw and pulltabs, as some of my best rings came from sports fields.

OP
OP

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys. It has been a few days and I have put to use a lot of the suggestions and I have to say, at the end of the day I feel pretty good. I didn't find any rings but I sure cleaned up a lot of trash.
I think I will change my mindset from, I want to find a ring to, I want to get rid of all the trash in the ground at the local parks. :icon_thumright:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
atpro probably sounds off high pitch on shallow beefy gold rings but I cant say from experience.
I got a large 8.6 gram 10k gold band last year using my CZ21 that was a solid high tone...I checked it with my AT pro and its a solid high tone, reads 72...zinc pennies read 76.

OP
OP

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookindown, that is encouraging ! Congrats on your find and luck.
I have read it many times before.......dig it all. But when your faced with the non stop chatter of trash it becomes more than this guy wants to dig. I think I have come to terms with the fact that if I find a ring it will be by accident and not because I heard a tone that said, hey I'm a ring.
My initial thought was that one could possibly differentiate between trash and a ring based off the sounds, similar to what one would listen for with coins. I haven't been at this long but long enough to be confident that the sound I am hearing is a coin. Been fooled a few times on smashed cans sounding like a quarter and tabs sounding like a nickle so I guess that same principal applies to rings and trash.
Come on ring, fool me into thinking your a penny.......lol

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
My experience with the AT Pro is most gold rings hit close to a nickle. I dug a 10K womens class ring sunday and it hit a solid 53 in both directions. I thought for sure it was a nickle. I have dug nickles from low 40's (buffaloes) up to 58. I have dug gold rings that hit a solid 60 and even 68/70. The only gold I have found that hit with a high tone is a pure gold pendant from the middle east. They use 23k or 24k gold to make their jewelry. My hunting buddy has a ring marked 999 that also hits with a solid high tone...a for sure dig target.
I dug a very small gold ring that weighs 1.5 grams that hit a solid 51 in all directions. Again, I thought it was a deep nickle and on edge. I love those surprises!

IMO, Gold will tend to not fluctuate on the VDI as much as aluminum.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookindown, that is encouraging ! Congrats on your find and luck.
I have read it many times before.......dig it all. But when your faced with the non stop chatter of trash it becomes more than this guy wants to dig. I think I have come to terms with the fact that if I find a ring it will be by accident and not because I heard a tone that said, hey I'm a ring.
My initial thought was that one could possibly differentiate between trash and a ring based off the sounds, similar to what one would listen for with coins. I haven't been at this long but long enough to be confident that the sound I am hearing is a coin. Been fooled a few times on smashed cans sounding like a quarter and tabs sounding like a nickle so I guess that same principal applies to rings and trash.
Come on ring, fool me into thinking your a penny.......lol
Ive found about 30 gold rings in the last three years and only that one was a high tone...all the rest were mid tones...most read in the 50s.

OP
OP

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, Gold will tend to not fluctuate on the VDI as much as aluminum.

That bit of info will greatly help! I am not sure where I read it here on the forum but somewhere else they were also saying the 40'-60's is where a lot of rings will hit. I have paid special attention to those areas and have yet to get lucky. I guess I just have to abide my time and dig them as they come.
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread