Possible silly question

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
O.k I'm still learning so bear with me. I was using my new Ace 250 today and I have a field that once had an old gravel road that ran through it many years ago. Believe me if you dig about 4 inches you hit solid gravel. My detector keeps showing coins (or something) but then when I dig I find nothing. Can the gravel under the surface cause a "false" signal? I don't have a pinpointer yet so if there is something there perhaps that will help when I get one. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I gotta learn.:icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no stupid questions. The gravel can cause false signals and so can hot rocks and cinders. You can try and turn up the disc and back off the sens. The only way around this is with many Minelabs.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman's right the man's got lots of experience & knows what he is talking about when it comes to detectors & detecting so I'd go with what he says good luck out there hh

OP
OP
P

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Sandman for the help:thumbsup:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Patrick I figured out your problem. You say the machine was "showing coins (or something)". This problem has nothing to do with old gravel roads or the fact that you are using and Ace 250. Please listen to me very carefully. You need to do air tests on copper and silver coins and LEARN THE SOUND of these targets. Nothing can "show" you what a target is except you yourself, after you dig it. Use your ears and when you learn the sounds of good targets, you will start digging them and they will actually be there.

OP
OP
P

Patrick14

Jul 4, 2012
Richmond Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I say "showing" I mean that I see on the digital readout that's it's showing a possible coin penny or nickel etc.. However, you are right. I understand what your saying and thanks for the help. Believe me, I need it! I absolutely need to pay attention to the different tones and get into tune to the different tones.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Tones are the first line of attack. The volume is important too, shallow stuff is louder than deep. Keep at it, do air tests and listen, I know you will get the hang of it in a few days of tectin. The number game is useful but that is a lesson for next season.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's all in the tones, I hate to think of how many times i bent over to dig nothing because my ear wasn't tuned to what the 250 was telling me. After two months of hunting 4 - 6 hours a day I was doing really well and had a good idea by the sound what I was digging but the most important thing I bought was my pro pointer. I have found coins in 8" of gravel and it can be disappointing digging and scratching 8" of gravel only to find a penny. I say a penny is a peny I wouldn't have if i didn't dig.

Sandman is right about the cinders and hot rocks. There is a lot of coal in my area and many old cinder parking lots in the area so I am used to false signals from cinders

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see "hot" gravel roads and gravel paved lots now that you guys talk about them. I'm used to dead neutral crushed limestone around here. I hate digging in the gravel too much work for me. I know an old timer that hunts the gravel lots at bars and such places in the spring after the snow melts off he finds lots of rings and tons of clad.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might sound kind of weird but when I hunt tot lots that have gravel instead of shredded wood chips,I get better tones when the gravel is damp,or has been rained on.When it's in the afternoon and it's been baking in the hot sun all day,my ace 250 doesn't do as well.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to say hot rocks, adjust the sensitivity. Listen to Sandman; he won't steer you wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread