D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is it about petroleum jelly you don't understand. Know what your talking about before you blast someone.

That's funny plumbers use petroleum jelly on O rings all the time and have for as long as it's be around. There is no evidence that petroleum jelly will have any adverse effects on any kind of O ring. Rubber O rings were used in hydraulic systems long before there were polymers or silicone lubricants. There not any evidence other than hear say evidence that petroleum jelly will have any effect on latex.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Normsel said:
What is it about petroleum jelly you don't understand. Know what your talking about before you blast someone.

That's funny plumbers use petroleum jelly on O rings all the time and have for as long as it's be around. There is no evidence that petroleum jelly will have any adverse effects on any kind of O ring. Rubber O rings were used in hydraulic systems long before there were polymers or silicone lubricants. There not any evidence other than hear say evidence that petroleum jelly will have any effect on latex.

Your both are right and both are wrong. :)
It depends on the material the O ring is made from. Petroleum products will deteriorate some types of O rings but it will generally take a long time. Silicone grease is typically recommended on most types. If you find something that works for you just go with it, your the only one that will have to deal with it. Unless you build space shuttles. :(

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Garrett EUROACE, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
one last thing that i have just noticed in the manual.

Typical Ground Balance Ranges:

80-99: Highly ferrous (magnetite, ferrous oxide minerals,
black sands, hot rocks, terra cotta)

0-20: Highly conductive, non-ferrous minerals such as
saltwater

what about if the saltwater beach is full of black sand and hot rocks?
from my gold prospecting experience i know that almost all beaches of my country are loaded with hot rocks and black sand!!!!!!!

so base on the above is it normal that the machine can't ground balance?

do i have to call garrett and apologize?

cheers

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen your video ..at some beach's you cant ground balancing next to the water like that .all at pro,s will do the same think at some beach's..you have to lower the sensitivity and the ground balancing.. or go into the water and ground balancing or on the dry sand .at some beach's I stick a coin 5" in the wet sand and lower the sensitivity until it calms down . then I try to hit the coin ..works for me all the time ....its a VLF MD its not going to be perfect on a salt beach..there was nothing wrong with your first AT PRO and there is nothing wrong with the one you have now . so if your going to send it back expect it to do the same thing when you get a new one .

OP
OP
M

maliaros

Jul 4, 2013
Larnaca
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Garrett EUROACE, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i had a great customer service from garrett, they even sent me a 5X8DD coil to test free of charge.
now am compromised with the machine since everything works perfect except on wet sand/surf that even with the chattering i can still pick the good tones.
my final thought is to keep the ATP for inland and dry sand and prepare my wallet (and my wife) for an infinium LS.

I seen your video ..at some beach's you cant ground balancing next to the water like that .all at pro,s will do the same think at some beach's..you have to lower the sensitivity and the ground balancing.. or go into the water and ground balancing or on the dry sand .at some beach's I stick a coin 5" in the wet sand and lower the sensitivity until it calms down . then I try to hit the coin ..works for me all the time ....its a VLF MD its not going to be perfect on a salt beach..there was nothing wrong with your first AT PRO and there is nothing wrong with the one you have now . so if your going to send it back expect it to do the same thing when you get a new one .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread