Just bought an AT Pro, need help! :)

kpixaba

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

IĀ“m new to MD and IĀ“ve chosen the AT Pro as my first detector. It arrived yesterday and IĀ“m thinking on hiting some easy spots to test and feel the machine. My first thought was to hunt at some sand boxes....itĀ“s a place in a park where people play soccer and beach volleyball...

Also, IĀ“ll be traveling to the beach in a few days and I want to detect there too.

So I need some help....what would be your sugestions on the configuration of the AT Pro to detect on both these sites....both sand, but one is dry...and the other is wet by salt water (and maybe a little bit in the water as well...)

What should I define on Iron disc, sensitivity and so on...? Do I need to use the coil cover in order to use it in the salt water? I bought the at pro package, but it seems that the cover is missing...

Thanks in advance for all the replies and attention...

Best Regards

kpixaba

Last edited:

Pigstick

Jun 11, 2013
Full-time RVer
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am certainly no pro, just started MDing about a month ago, but I do own the AT Pro. Most of the time I leave mine set to "Pro" mode, "Zero", Iron on 0, Sensitivity on Max and Iron Audio On. I only adjust the Iron and Sensitivity when I absolutely must to cut down on the noise when the ground has to much iron or when using it in water. I like to hear all of the sounds, others I am sure think differently. But I suggest you set it to what works for you, cutting settings back when you need to because of trash, iron or whatever. Good luck!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do I need to use the coil cover in order to use it in the salt water?

Nope not at all. The ATpro is water proof without it. The coil cover is used to simply help protect the coil from scraps, nicks and other damage. Some people use them while others do not. I personally feel it is cheaper to replace the 10 dollar coil cover than the 150 dollar coil.

Pigstick

Jun 11, 2013
Full-time RVer
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Uncle Jeff. I use a cover on mine and it has some scratches on it. Give Garrett a call, my guess is you would have a cover in your hand early next week.

Nope not at all. The ATpro is water proof without it. The coil cover is used to simply help protect the coil from scraps, nicks and other damage. Some people use them while others do not. I personally feel it is cheaper to replace the 10 dollar coil cover than the 150 dollar coil.

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, put the cover on and leave it on. I use Pro mode with 0 discrimination and I ground balance often. There is no one secret setting that will make this machine a magic wand. Wet sand will require a ground balance as will dry. Once you understand the tool it becomes second nature as to what button/buttons to press and when.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Because you are new to metal detecting, and the AT Series have a learning curve, learning the audio tones, I suggest you start in coins mode. It will automatically set an iron audio for you. Set your discrimination no more than half, so you don't end up digging phantom signals. Dig all targets. Hunt for a while with iron audio on, then continue hunting with it off. Digging all targets will help define what junk targets sound like vs. good sounding targets.

Starting on a beach or playground with a sand base is an excellent place to start learning your machine. You need to develop good pin pointing technique as well as digging the smallest plug possible to retrieve a target. If you don't have a Garrett Pro Pointer yet, get one. It will locate your target exactly, cut down on your digging time and will result in many more targets.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

You purchased a very capable detector which will at times meet and beat other detectors costing 2 x the amount and it can be used for water hunting also.

OP
OP
kpixaba

kpixaba

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all replies!

Do you guys use the automatic ground balance? Or set it manually?

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you do get near the beach and salt water with a coil cover on, sometimes black sand collects in the covers and will give false signals. Have fun with your new machine.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new machine!..Im on my 3rd year with my AT Pro, and it took me a little bit of time getting used to it, but i have found many of good things. i think there is a thread on the numbers. If you ever have any questions..feel free to PM me...Good Luck!!..Looking foward to your future finds!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all replies!

I personally do Automatic......and since you just started with it...>I would start with the Pro mode for sure, the other mode will drive you nuts!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why have iron audio ON if you have iron on zero?

Iron audio off with Iron at zero is the same thing...
in other words...You do not have to have iron audio on if iron is set to zero..

"Pro" mode, "Zero", Iron on 0, Sensitivity on Max and Iron Audio On.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a new ATP user as well, I hunt Pro, Zero, 00 Discrimination, full sensitivity. I dont hunt parks, tot lots, beaches and things of that nature, most of my hunts are deep woods and state lands with a historical background. I love the ATP, and Im putting together some cash for a 5x8DD. Good Luck HH.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kpixaba said:
Thanks for all replies!

Do an auto ground balance and manually drop it 1 or 2.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If using pro mode coin it automatically sets disc at 35 which is great for the beach however notch in where the gold is and notch out the notch just under Nickel notch...only because that notch picks up foil badly and u want that gold are notched in of course.
Do yourself a favor at the beach if you are going to hunt and constantly have to ground balance every few feet do it the easy way. Ground balance for dry and hunt the dry sand,when you're ready to to the wet sand and GB for it and hunt only it. Normal GB numbers for dry are 60-80 in the wet sand from the teens into the 20s. When u find a target, loft the coil up 6-8 inches of you still hear a strong sound its trash, of you hear a target and it passes first test use iron audio if it makes that grunting sound before and after the good sound its trash. Dig a few trash pieces so you can understand what those sounds mean. Auto balance at first but of you hear chatter still you can manually bring it down till it clears up or drop sensitivity or change your frequency between the 4 options. Hope all this helps, its what I do and most do on the beach

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your new to detecting, use standard mode, it is much quieter than pro mode. You can switch to pro mode when you get comfortable with the machine. You will see what I mean when you try both modes in the field. Start in zero mode, where you hear all targets. If your in an area that overwhelms you with sounds, notch out everything below penny. You will only find coins and a few trash items but it will take out all the tones except high. You will miss gold and pulltabs with this setting but it will get you used to the detector without overwhelming you. You can switch to other modes as you get used to the machine. It wont take you long to get the hang of it. Lay a few targets out on the ground to see how they sound and react to being swept over...they will sound the same in the ground, only difference is you will have to dig them...good luck.

OP
OP
kpixaba

kpixaba

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!

My hunting will have to wait....IĀ“ll have to return the MD to the seller in US. The MD is defective and IĀ“m coordinating with the seller to replace it... :sadsmiley:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MD is defective? What happened to it if u don't mind me asking.

OP
OP
kpixaba

kpixaba

Jul 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MD is defective? What happened to it if u don't mind me asking.

bzbadger,

I received the ATP last Thrusday, then on Saturday I decided to unpack and assembly it. When I removed the plastic that was involving the MD, this is what I found:

ncne.jpg

Bellow a pic of the MD turned on...

gbdc.jpg

So, the Iron Disc numbers are not showing (only show one small part on the right), the lower scale only shows the last 2 scales, the sensitivity scale only shows the first 2 scales, the battery indicator is not shown....and I believe the inch scale is not shown either...

Also, I had a weird "surprise" on the headphones....there is a nest of ants (or termites...I could not tell the difference) IN the headphone...theyĀ“re inside the soft leather part that goes in the upper part of our head...when I unpacked the headphone, I noticed a few of the bugs...then I shook it a little bit and WOW...bellow a few pics:

uege.jpg

kzei.jpg

u52m.jpg

Sad but true...:sadsmiley:

Last edited:

Garthman

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kpi hopefully you purchased from a distributor so the support is prompt. A couple of weeks back I purchased a new AT Pro from a distributor and received it in on a Wednesday. The following Saturday I took the new AT Pro to a field to conduct a hunt. Their was an electrical issue with the unit so I was informed to send the unit to Garrett. In a nutshell two things occurred: each time I placed the machine next to me to dig a target it would automatically turn off; secondly as I was hunting and decided to change modes an uncontrollable chatter and static interference happened. Only if I turned the machine off and back on was I able to eliminate the chatter. I was in the middle of a wide open space with no cell phone, wi-fi towers or electric fences to interfere with the unit. Nonetheless we will see what happens once I get it back and hopefully they provide a new box as the one I sent them was brand new and defective. I already have the ACE 350 and have been very pleased with that machine. Fortunately the distributor has been right their trying to assist with this headache so their is a positive in this adventure...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread