Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My theory on the lack of silver does not exclude cherry picking, but coin drops in the day..... penny's are always more tarnished unless new unlike silver that remains shinny and would of been easier gathering if drop in the day..... I hunted a new site today using the 5x8 that's heavily littered with pull tabs and found 5 wheat's and a War Nickel along with many clad and zinc penny's, the ground was very dry in that location and I'm sure it contains silver even if it was cherry picked..... I plan to hit it again when the ground get's saturated with water using both coils the 5x8 and the 8.5 x 11 coils....

The only reason I think it was cherry picked is due to there still being dimes and pennies. I know people have been hunting the area, but it just seems like the pennies were overlooked, maybe not though, who knows.
As for the biggest and best machines, I agree that experience outweighs equipment in most cases. I know my AT Pro pretty well by now, but if you gave me a Minelab Etrac right now, I doubt I'd find as much. That's why I keep going back to former areas I've already hunted, because I learn something new almost every time I go out.

Also previously noted though, I was using a smaller coil, so I might have been catching targets better due to other stuff in the ground, as I know previous hunters were using very large coils most of the time.

It could be any number of these things. I'm not trying to sound like a fisherman here with stories, I'm just happy with my finds, and I get a kick out of some people who think that just because they spend 2 grand on a machine that I must not be able to find anything because they have already hit it. It's like hunting. I used to work in a Sporting Goods store, and we'd get people who would buy big expensive bows, then they'd go down to the range, and wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn with the thing after they've owned it for a year. I guess the saying works in just about any sport or activity, "Practice Makes Perfect". You get what you put into it. I'm sure Minelabs are more than capable machines of cleaning up areas pretty good in the right hands, but only if you have the knowledge and experience on it.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only reason I think it was cherry picked is due to there still being dimes and pennies. I know people have been hunting the area, but it just seems like the pennies were overlooked, maybe not though, who knows.
As for the biggest and best machines, I agree that experience outweighs equipment in most cases. I know my AT Pro pretty well by now, but if you gave me a Minelab Etrac right now, I doubt I'd find as much. That's why I keep going back to former areas I've already hunted, because I learn something new almost every time I go out.

The site I hit today only produced 3 clad quarters a ton of clad dimes and penny's

Also previously noted though, I was using a smaller coil, so I might have been catching targets better due to other stuff in the ground, as I know previous hunters were using very large coils most of the time.

It could be any number of these things. I'm not trying to sound like a fisherman here with stories, I'm just happy with my finds, and I get a kick out of some people who think that just because they spend 2 grand on a machine that I must not be able to find anything because they have already hit it. It's like hunting. I used to work in a Sporting Goods store, and we'd get people who would buy big expensive bows, then they'd go down to the range, and wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn with the thing after they've owned it for a year. I guess the saying works in just about any sport or activity, "Practice Makes Perfect". You get what you put into it. I'm sure Minelabs are more than capable machines of cleaning up areas pretty good in the right hands, but only if you have the knowledge and experience on it.

Happy Hunting Everyone!

That's funny The site I hunted today only produced 3 clad quarters a ton of clad dimes and penny's....

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's funny The site I hunted today only produced 3 clad quarters a ton of clad dimes and penny's....

It does make sense, I think people would be more apt to notice quarters falling than dimes. I always find more pennies than anything, I think some people don't even think it's worth picking them up, but the way I see it, it adds up when you pile it up for a year. :)

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post! Fact is, you change machine and coil options and you will find even more in the same spot. Put a Sun Ray X-5 on the Minelab and even more goodies will show up.

Nothing is ever hunted out!

OP
OP
Sapper724

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought about throwing mt 8x11 on my At pro at the same spot for the heck of it, but I just do so well with the 5x8 that I dont know if its worth it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread