Older Detector how does it compare to todays machines?

Mike Hale

Aug 15, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Very old Garrett Master Hunter 7 ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I spent a great deal of time on the West Deserts of Utah a number of years ago. We purchased and used a "Garrett Master Hunter 7 ADS"... At the time I think it was a nice machine.... It still works just like the day I got it, what I'm wondering ???? Is how does it stack up to todays machines... This machine uses 4 rechargeable 9 volts or 6 - 9 volt batteries in a removable slide in tray and battery life isn't all that great.... you will go through set of batteries in an afternoon.... but other than that it's and the fact that it's heavier than today's machines, what is the difference? I haven't kept up on all the advancements, but would like to know if it's worth the money by purchase another machined to do basic coin hunting and some nugget hunting?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated......:BangHead:

Thanks,

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First,welcome to Treasure Net.
Second.All I can say is I bought my first detector,last year, a Garrett Groundhog. $10.00 ata yard sale.
I just bought a mint condition last week Whites,V/Sat Goldmaster.
The only problem with the older detectors is the weight,( not if you want to keep your arms strong).
And,no choice of coils.Especially double D for bad ground.

Your MD runs at 5.5 or close.
The Garrett Groundhogs run at 15khz. This what most all MD's run about at nowadays except for Gold MD's that run higher.
My whites runs at 50khz,and Gold bug2 runs at 72khz.
These are better for small pieces of gold.The higher khz.
All around detectors run around 14 to 19khz.

If it was me, I would keep the ADS. And if possible,buy a newer or used one of the few I have listed below.
These are what I would buy right now. No specific order, or brand.
I want great customer service, and a good to great choice of coils.
All of these below could be new or used.

White's MXT or MXT Pro. 14khz.
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, or Tejon. Maybe the Outlaw if the price was right. Lobo is 17khz,dont remnember the rest.
Garrett Gold Scorpion.15khz. Yes its older,but it has the great groundhog khz,easy use and I have the original,can still find some good DD coils.
Garrett AT Pro. 14 to 17 khz .Cant remember. I think 15khz,same as the older Groundhogs.
15khz is a great frequency,since a lot of new machines are 14-17khz.
Fisher Gold Bug, or Gold Bug 2 if your into Gold prospecting.
Fisher makes a couple other all purpose,but I don't know the model numbers, or names, but they are the company that makes the gold bugs.so some one else will.

All the above have a good to great selection of coils.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Mike, I've been through 10 detectors. My Deepseeker ADS III was great, found treasure at depths 30 years ago they are still talking about today with the modern ones. Switched to a Fisher 1260X in "84, and quit in '89. Came back in 2013, the 1260X still works. I figured technology had eclipsed me, bought an Ace 250 - the Fisher was still better.

If I had a Deepseeker ADS III now, I'd still be using it.

Only the toys and whistles have changed. Keep the faith in that antique! Technology has not trumped its' abilities.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
M

Mike Hale

Aug 15, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Very old Garrett Master Hunter 7 ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First,welcome to Treasure Net.
Second.All I can say is I bought my first detector,last year, a Garrett Groundhog. $10.00 ata yard sale.
I just bought a mint condition last week Whites,V/Sat Goldmaster.
The only problem with the older detectors is the weight,( not if you want to keep your arms strong).
And,no choice of coils.Especially double D for bad ground.

Your MD runs at 5.5 or close.
The Garrett Groundhogs run at 15khz. This what most all MD's run about at nowadays except for Gold MD's that run higher.
My whites runs at 50khz,and Gold bug2 runs at 72khz.
These are better for small pieces of gold.The higher khz.
All around detectors run around 14 to 19khz.

If it was me, I would keep the ADS. And if possible,buy a newer or used one of the few I have listed below.
These are what I would buy right now. No specific order, or brand.
I want great customer service, and a good to great choice of coils.
All of these below could be new or used.

White's MXT or MXT Pro. 14khz.
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, or Tejon. Maybe the Outlaw if the price was right. Lobo is 17khz,dont remnember the rest.
Garrett Gold Scorpion.15khz. Yes its older,but it has the great groundhog khz,easy use and I have the original,can still find some good DD coils.
Garrett AT Pro. 14 to 17 khz .Cant remember. I think 15khz,same as the older Groundhogs.
15khz is a great frequency,since a lot of new machines are 14-17khz.
Fisher Gold Bug, or Gold Bug 2 if your into Gold prospecting.
Fisher makes a couple other all purpose,but I don't know the model numbers, or names, but they are the company that makes the gold bugs.so some one else will.

All the above have a good to great selection of coils.

I'm on my cell phone so bear with my. First, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. You answer end most all my questions,.... I think we will take time to get back in the swing of things, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread