Odd thing happened to my AT PRO......but only once so far.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK so it's now a couple weeks of hunting and my third set of AA batts, and it's raining a bit. I'm hunting along and I bump a bush with the coil and the machine shuts itself off......well I turned it back on and look at the battery indicator (I had just put new ones in a half hr. before) and all bars are black (good!) So I continue swinging along and right away notice a decreased volume in my head phones......so I ?.....and ?......then I am wondering if I should go to the car and get my gray ghost amphibs, but then the volume goes back to normal. I hunted about a half hour more with no more trouble. I am sure my finger didn't hit the pwr button, and all my connectors are tight, so I still have to wonder if I am gonna need a spare detector on my next detecting adventure?
Anybody else experience this power down thing???
Paul of Penna

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a loose or poor power connection to me, Send it In t garrets to have it looked At they are Very fast on their turnaround red sent in her ace 250 and Got it back in 8 Days We sent it Priority Mail 3 days to get there Good Luck and Happy Hunting Chug And Red

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the headphones, if they are stock they are not waterproof, maybe a little water got in them.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
keep us updated please?? be interested to hear the outcome.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the headphones, if they are stock they are not waterproof, maybe a little water got in them.

This could be the cause of the problem with the headphones.

OP
OP
P

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I did think maybe the phones got a bit of water inside......I may have to silicone the holes around the little wires which go to the speaker muffs. Thanks for the info!
Paul of Penna

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy a set of waterproof headphones if your going out in the rain.

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This happens to me every time I go out with it. I use it as my dry sand detector (which I don't use to much anymore now that I got an Excal). but it is very frustrating. ill be swinging along and wont get a hit for about a min and think "somebody must have been through here already", then I look down and the detectors off. Mine is out of warranty so I don't want to send it back, kinda just deal with it. I think it started happening because water must have gotten in it or a bad connection with batteries. Just know that is does happen to others, if its under warranty you should get it checked out if theyre saying theres a fast turn around.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My at pro **** itself off 3 or 4 time a couple days ago, it was after I had put in new batteries, but yesterday I turned it on and ran it about an hour with no problem. Go figure ??

OP
OP
P

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can understand the "worn battery cap" thing as if the power blinks off it would need turned back on by hand, but my machine is only 2 weeks old........HHMMMMMM not a favorable sign!
Paul of Penna

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Make sure you are putting the battery cap back on the correct way. If you look real close you will notice a slight difference. At least on mine!!!

OP
OP
P

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the right way??? It powers up and the battery level shows full.....if it was in "wrong" it wouldn't fire up at all, or it would show weak batteries. I may be missing something I guess.......can you elaborate?
Paul of Penna

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your battery box is the most likely culprit...

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Njcigarman mentioned the battery cap-/cover make sure the cover is flush on the sides, if it isn't flush, it is turned wrong. Pull it out and turn it over.

You mentioned the detector is new. A call to Garrett might be your best solution. I've seen a few that had this problem, one was a bad battery cover, the other had the wrong battery holder installed. The black sleeve for the batteries is a little longer on the At Pro- shorter on the GTI series. If the shorter holder is installed at the factory, the holder can flop from side to side and lose connection when swinging.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry a spare set of new batteries and more important perhaps, a spare detector . Several times I have had to park my big name expensive detector for some reason or another and pull out my always reliable ACE250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread